Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 22 September 2017, 19:13
Swimming Upstream

Sounds like a lot of folks here hopes she's a failure.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 22 September 2017, 20:41
Authorized Personnel

Yes, there are a lot of folks here who hope she fails. I'm one of them. She might be some super fit crossfit marathon running girl who can hang. She's going to open it up for a lot of women who aren't. The every day grunt lifestyle is going to grind them into the dirt. Call me a mysoginist or whatever. It's not a sustainable lifestyle for 99.9% of women.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Its gonna be a tough road ahead for her,
I also submit it will be a tough road for those Commanders in the chain of command above her. Do they "help" or maintain the standard?

As a Judge Advocate, I spent over 8 years amongst the giants who walk the earth. I was humbled by the experience, to be there, and physically I am paying for it now. But I was never cut one inch of slack and would hope that this officer either makes the grade or is eliminated for failure to maintain the standard. If not, as a nation we are doomed. Screw political correctness, it is all about the mission and taking care of the studs under your care.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:14
Boot For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Yes, there are a lot of folks here who hope she fails. I'm one of them. She might be some super fit crossfit marathon running girl who can hang. She's going to open it up for a lot of women who aren't. The every day grunt lifestyle is going to grind them into the dirt. Call me a mysoginist or whatever. It's not a sustainable lifestyle for 99.9% of women.
This.

Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver; repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat.

Someone explain to me where social experimentation and feel good achievements enhance the warfighting capabilities of the Marine Corps rifle squad. Good on her for making it through a tough course, but I can't help but wish her to fail for the good of my Corps.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:20
Authorized Personnel

http://abcnews.go.com/US/inspiring-v...ry?id=30842353

Inspiring video shows Army Captian stumbling at the end of a 12 mile road march.

Know what this is to a grunt? It's Friday. Know what you get to do again next Friday? And the Friday after that? For 20 years.

This girl has some balls. She'll be worthless for two weeks. Make her do it once a week for 5 years and she's crippled.

Pretending average performance is exceptional because she has inboard plumbing is ridiculous.
Old 22 September 2017, 21:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Sounds like a lot of folks here hopes she's a failure.
There were guys in SFAS I hoped were failures too. And the Q. And after graduation. The point being that I thought they were going to mess something up because they couldn't hang or their software was wrong for the job. Why should anyone else be different?
Old 23 September 2017, 09:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/inspiring-v...ry?id=30842353

Inspiring video shows Army Captian stumbling at the end of a 12 mile road march.

Know what this is to a grunt? It's Friday. Know what you get to do again next Friday? And the Friday after that? For 20 years.

This girl has some balls. She'll be worthless for two weeks. Make her do it once a week for 5 years and she's crippled.

Pretending average performance is exceptional because she has inboard plumbing is ridiculous.
35 pounds is a joke; its not even a full summer packing list- minus a no shit ammo load.

As a BRAND NEW PFC in 1/75 in 1977, I was a 90mm RCLR ammo bearer with a M203; my load was 3 HEAT rounds (9.65 pounds each) and 2 APERS rounds (7.25 rounds each), 24 rounds of 40mm ammo (approx. 11 pounds) and 13 30 round magazines (approx. 24 pounds)...

So prior to packing any chow or my poncho liner, I had approx. 67 pounds of ammo to carry. Add all the other gear and I routinely carried well more than 100 pounds or about 55% of my body weight.

This on regular 12 mile road marches in 3 hours or less (heavy on the less part).

A leader must be able to lead, not just keep up; we owe that to the troops (men and women) under our command or responsibility. We owe that to the American people- the parents of those troops and the others that we are charged with their security.
Old 23 September 2017, 09:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
35 pounds is a joke; its not even a full summer packing list- minus a no shit ammo load.

As a BRAND NEW PFC in 1/75 in 1977, I was a 90mm RCLR ammo bearer with a M203; my load was 3 HEAT rounds (9.65 pounds each) and 2 APERS rounds (7.25 rounds each), 24 rounds of 40mm ammo (approx. 11 pounds) and 13 30 round magazines (approx. 24 pounds)...

So prior to packing any chow or my poncho liner, I had approx. 67 pounds of ammo to carry. Add all the other gear and I routinely carried well more than 100 pounds or about 55% of my body weight.

This on regular 12 mile road marches in 3 hours or less (heavy on the less part).

A leader must be able to lead, not just keep up; we owe that to the troops (men and women) under our command or responsibility. We owe that to the American people- the parents of those troops and the others that we are charged with their security.
I weighed myself dry and loaded once. With zero gear, just utilities, I was 190. With my full load-out, deuce gear, med bag, batteries, ammo, blah blah blah, I was tipping north of 325 pounds.

Impressed she made it through. She has balls, no doubt, and sometimes that's all it takes. But a full tour, with work-ups and deployment of an infantry platoon, will absolutely destroy her body.
Old 23 September 2017, 09:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
It's not a sustainable lifestyle for 99.9% of women.
Nor for the vast majority of men. Most all the former jarheads I know are broken in one way or another.
Old 23 September 2017, 09:59
Authorized Personnel

Oh yeah, any career combat arms or SOF guy is going to come out the other end with some issues. No denying that. Take a 130lb female and put her thru that grinder and it isn't going to end well. But hey, we've flogged this horse into horseburger. We'll see how it shakes out, even though we already know how this story ends.
Old 23 September 2017, 10:07
Confirmed User

Just figure out which Infantry battalions (east or west coast) recently got back from deployments......she's going to one of them.
Old 30 September 2017, 22:40
Confirmed User

Her follow-on assignment is to 1st Marine Division, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

http://www.marines.mil/News/Press-Re...fficer-course/

Our new posting rules