Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2421  
Old 22 September 2017, 19:13
Purple36's Avatar
Purple36 Purple36 is offline
Swimming Upstream
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 9,179
Sounds like a lot of folks here hopes she's a failure.
__________________
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Reply With Quote
  #2422  
Old 22 September 2017, 20:41
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,667
Yes, there are a lot of folks here who hope she fails. I'm one of them. She might be some super fit crossfit marathon running girl who can hang. She's going to open it up for a lot of women who aren't. The every day grunt lifestyle is going to grind them into the dirt. Call me a mysoginist or whatever. It's not a sustainable lifestyle for 99.9% of women.
Reply With Quote
  #2423  
Old 22 September 2017, 21:12
Fu King Lawyer Fu King Lawyer is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ...
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Its gonna be a tough road ahead for her,
I also submit it will be a tough road for those Commanders in the chain of command above her. Do they "help" or maintain the standard?

As a Judge Advocate, I spent over 8 years amongst the giants who walk the earth. I was humbled by the experience, to be there, and physically I am paying for it now. But I was never cut one inch of slack and would hope that this officer either makes the grade or is eliminated for failure to maintain the standard. If not, as a nation we are doomed. Screw political correctness, it is all about the mission and taking care of the studs under your care.
Reply With Quote
  #2424  
Old 22 September 2017, 21:14
nadnklipsch's Avatar
nadnklipsch nadnklipsch is offline
Boot For Life
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Yes, there are a lot of folks here who hope she fails. I'm one of them. She might be some super fit crossfit marathon running girl who can hang. She's going to open it up for a lot of women who aren't. The every day grunt lifestyle is going to grind them into the dirt. Call me a mysoginist or whatever. It's not a sustainable lifestyle for 99.9% of women.
This.

Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver; repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat.

Someone explain to me where social experimentation and feel good achievements enhance the warfighting capabilities of the Marine Corps rifle squad. Good on her for making it through a tough course, but I can't help but wish her to fail for the good of my Corps.
Reply With Quote
  #2425  
Old 22 September 2017, 21:20
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,667
http://abcnews.go.com/US/inspiring-v...ry?id=30842353

Inspiring video shows Army Captian stumbling at the end of a 12 mile road march.

Know what this is to a grunt? It's Friday. Know what you get to do again next Friday? And the Friday after that? For 20 years.

This girl has some balls. She'll be worthless for two weeks. Make her do it once a week for 5 years and she's crippled.

Pretending average performance is exceptional because she has inboard plumbing is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
  #2426  
Old 22 September 2017, 21:33
'MisterWhite''s Avatar
'MisterWhite' 'MisterWhite' is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rockies
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Sounds like a lot of folks here hopes she's a failure.
There were guys in SFAS I hoped were failures too. And the Q. And after graduation. The point being that I thought they were going to mess something up because they couldn't hang or their software was wrong for the job. Why should anyone else be different?
Reply With Quote
  #2427  
Old 23 September 2017, 09:06
RGR.Montcalm's Avatar
RGR.Montcalm RGR.Montcalm is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearing fields of fire
Posts: 10,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/US/inspiring-v...ry?id=30842353

Inspiring video shows Army Captian stumbling at the end of a 12 mile road march.

Know what this is to a grunt? It's Friday. Know what you get to do again next Friday? And the Friday after that? For 20 years.

This girl has some balls. She'll be worthless for two weeks. Make her do it once a week for 5 years and she's crippled.

Pretending average performance is exceptional because she has inboard plumbing is ridiculous.
35 pounds is a joke; its not even a full summer packing list- minus a no shit ammo load.

As a BRAND NEW PFC in 1/75 in 1977, I was a 90mm RCLR ammo bearer with a M203; my load was 3 HEAT rounds (9.65 pounds each) and 2 APERS rounds (7.25 rounds each), 24 rounds of 40mm ammo (approx. 11 pounds) and 13 30 round magazines (approx. 24 pounds)...

So prior to packing any chow or my poncho liner, I had approx. 67 pounds of ammo to carry. Add all the other gear and I routinely carried well more than 100 pounds or about 55% of my body weight.

This on regular 12 mile road marches in 3 hours or less (heavy on the less part).

A leader must be able to lead, not just keep up; we owe that to the troops (men and women) under our command or responsibility. We owe that to the American people- the parents of those troops and the others that we are charged with their security.
__________________
Shallow men believe in luck; strong men believe in cause and effect
Reply With Quote
  #2428  
Old 23 September 2017, 09:37
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
35 pounds is a joke; its not even a full summer packing list- minus a no shit ammo load.

As a BRAND NEW PFC in 1/75 in 1977, I was a 90mm RCLR ammo bearer with a M203; my load was 3 HEAT rounds (9.65 pounds each) and 2 APERS rounds (7.25 rounds each), 24 rounds of 40mm ammo (approx. 11 pounds) and 13 30 round magazines (approx. 24 pounds)...

So prior to packing any chow or my poncho liner, I had approx. 67 pounds of ammo to carry. Add all the other gear and I routinely carried well more than 100 pounds or about 55% of my body weight.

This on regular 12 mile road marches in 3 hours or less (heavy on the less part).

A leader must be able to lead, not just keep up; we owe that to the troops (men and women) under our command or responsibility. We owe that to the American people- the parents of those troops and the others that we are charged with their security.
I weighed myself dry and loaded once. With zero gear, just utilities, I was 190. With my full load-out, deuce gear, med bag, batteries, ammo, blah blah blah, I was tipping north of 325 pounds.

Impressed she made it through. She has balls, no doubt, and sometimes that's all it takes. But a full tour, with work-ups and deployment of an infantry platoon, will absolutely destroy her body.
Reply With Quote
  #2429  
Old 23 September 2017, 09:45
Gray Rhyno's Avatar
Gray Rhyno Gray Rhyno is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 8,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
It's not a sustainable lifestyle for 99.9% of women.
Nor for the vast majority of men. Most all the former jarheads I know are broken in one way or another.
__________________
"The most HSLD stuff ever taught was the basics. So-called 'advanced training' is often no more than the very fluid and expert application of those basic skills." - SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #2430  
Old 23 September 2017, 09:59
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,667
Oh yeah, any career combat arms or SOF guy is going to come out the other end with some issues. No denying that. Take a 130lb female and put her thru that grinder and it isn't going to end well. But hey, we've flogged this horse into horseburger. We'll see how it shakes out, even though we already know how this story ends.
Reply With Quote
  #2431  
Old 23 September 2017, 10:07
99superduty 99superduty is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Western CO
Posts: 99
Just figure out which Infantry battalions (east or west coast) recently got back from deployments......she's going to one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #2432  
Old 30 September 2017, 22:40
Rockville Rockville is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 1,017
Her follow-on assignment is to 1st Marine Division, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

http://www.marines.mil/News/Press-Re...fficer-course/
Reply With Quote
  #2433  
Old 17 February 2018, 14:30
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 7,813
And the degradation of standards of performance begins(continues)

http://tribunist.com/news/the-marine...ntry-officers/

Because physical toughness and strength is subjective....
What a clownshow. S/F.....Ken M
__________________
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Reply With Quote
  #2434  
Old 17 February 2018, 14:57
Flatbedder's Avatar
Flatbedder Flatbedder is offline
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: CONUS
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Oh yeah, any career combat arms or SOF guy is going to come out the other end with some issues. No denying that. Take a 130lb female and put her thru that grinder and it isn't going to end well. But hey, we've flogged this horse into horseburger. We'll see how it shakes out, even though we already know how this story ends.
I concur.

Its going to have to run it's course before both common sense and science prevails.
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own.
Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil,
and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #2435  
Old 17 February 2018, 15:05
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 7,813
Been entirely too long since the US faced an existential threat. Too many residents of this country are too soft. S/F.....Ken M
__________________
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Reply With Quote
  #2436  
Old 17 February 2018, 15:09
Flatbedder's Avatar
Flatbedder Flatbedder is offline
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: CONUS
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Been entirely too long since the US faced an existential threat. Too many residents of this country are too soft. S/F.....Ken M
Bingo x 10.
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own.
Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil,
and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Jeff Cooper
Reply With Quote
  #2437  
Old 17 February 2018, 15:32
justamedic justamedic is offline
Very Deplorable
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: LV
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
And the degradation of standards of performance begins(continues)

http://tribunist.com/news/the-marine...ntry-officers/

Because physical toughness and strength is subjective....
What a clownshow. S/F.....Ken M
I expect SECDEF to put a solid knife hand right through whatever paper this policy is written on.
__________________
"Double tap is a myth. Shoot until the threat changes shape or catches fire. Only then will your enemy know true peace." - Dali Lama
Reply With Quote
  #2438  
Old 17 February 2018, 16:06
Gray Rhyno's Avatar
Gray Rhyno Gray Rhyno is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 8,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
Quote:
Discussion of the testís validity has been ongoing. In 2014, retired Army Colonel Ellen Haring pointed out that the obstacles in the test are hardly comparable to the obstacles faced in the field. Haring proposed keeping the test in place, but eliminating the high-stakes role it played for the candidates.
Because combat is SOOOOOO much easier than a fitness test at Quantico.
__________________
"The most HSLD stuff ever taught was the basics. So-called 'advanced training' is often no more than the very fluid and expert application of those basic skills." - SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #2439  
Old 17 February 2018, 17:09
BigNickT BigNickT is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
In 2014, retired Army Colonel Ellen Haring pointed out that the obstacles in the test are hardly comparable to the obstacles faced in the field. Haring proposed keeping the test in place, but eliminating the high-stakes role it played for the candidates.
And when exactly did the Marine Corps turn to retired Army non-infantry officers for advice in training Marine infantry officers? Colonel Haring should consider shutting her pie hole and driving on with her retirement.
__________________
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Reply With Quote
  #2440  
Old 17 February 2018, 17:29
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Back where it all began
Posts: 5,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
I expect SECDEF to put a solid knife hand right through whatever paper this policy is written on.
Did you serve in the military?
__________________
Clumsy Latin Phrase!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:40.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET