Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 18 December 2011, 07:14
True Origin Not Known

Charlie Manson still has fans, but he aint getting out. Instead of Motel 6 it's gonna be Level 6 at the USBOP. Of course, for him, that would be like locking me up in a female facility. They might not all be pretty, but I could get pretty busy. Have fun and make lots of new friend, Braddie.

Are you fucking serious? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all week...and I'm at a senior staff planning conference, so, the bar has been set pretty high. You should be proud. - Gavin
Old 18 December 2011, 08:30
Been There Done That

I have a suspicion Bradley Manning will probably take his own life as soon as he gets a reasonable chance. They had him on strict suicide watch at Quantico. Once he he is general population in a federal prison, where the staff is not so concerned about suicides, I'm sure he'll solve his own issues. The unfortunate aspect will be the conspiracy mill that will result.
Old 18 December 2011, 09:21
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I have a suspicion Bradley Manning will probably take his own life as soon as he gets a reasonable chance. They had him on strict suicide watch at Quantico. Once he he is general population in a federal prison, where the staff is not so concerned about suicides, I'm sure he'll solve his own issues. The unfortunate aspect will be the conspiracy mill that will result.
Its funny how justice is sometimes served by those in the best position to judge guilt.

Are we convinced this kid acted alone? Is it another McVeigh situation where the others involved will be taken to the convicted's grave?
Old 18 December 2011, 09:23
Ne Obliviscaris

I don't know. He may have too much fun living out his every fantasy as "Breanna" with Bubba and Leroy. I doubt he'll be lonely. As a former correctional officer I saw it 1st hand...for a lot of queers prison is Disneyland. He may just find his niche.
Old 18 December 2011, 09:38
Confirmed User

It really goes to show you how much common sense is left in the world. A cross dressing homosexual who got into a physical altercation with a female superior, threw temper tantrums, emailed people in his female alterego, and a slew of other bizarre actions... kept a clearance?

Maybe I'm just being closed minded here, but I don't think it's a great idea for people who dance around their rooms in wigs to Lady GaGa and have alternate personalities need to be armed running around on a battlefield. If psychological evaluations for security clearances aren't looking for THAT kind of behavior why do I even need to bother taking one?
Old 18 December 2011, 09:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Are we convinced this kid acted alone? Is it another McVeigh situation where the others involved will be taken to the convicted's grave?
There was an excellent "Frontline" a few months ago on the Wikileaks case. Of course, "Frontline" usually has a liberal slant (if through choice of subject matter if nothing else, as "Frontline" seems to concentrate on exposing only certain kinds of malfeasance).

The "Frontline" indicates that Manning acted alone on his end, although Julian Assange did encourage him. Wikileaks has very stringent procedures in place to maintain anonymity of contributors, such that even the Wikileaks staffers do not know the source of information they receive.

In the Manning case, there was communication between Assange and Manning. The "Frontline" episode, if true, shows Assange as being very exposed to criminal charges in the US, due to the active encouragement he gave Manning, in violation of his own organization's safeguards to prevent exactly what happened.

The only open question in my mind is how much of the Wikileaks data was released by persons other than Manning (independant of him), that is now being attributed to Manning because other leakers covered their tracks better.

I'm not an analyst or systems expert, but I do use JWICS and other systems of that nature. It seems to me that much of the material released by Wikileaks did not originate from DoD computer systems, and probably came from DoS systems that I doubt Manning had access to.
Old 18 December 2011, 13:19
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
As a former correctional officer I saw it 1st hand...for a lot of queers prison is Disneyland. He may just find his niche.
Saw the same thing. And they will find his niche.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 18 December 2011, 13:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop6236 View Post
It really goes to show you how much common sense is left in the world. A cross dressing homosexual who got into a physical altercation with a female superior, threw temper tantrums, emailed people in his female alterego, and a slew of other bizarre actions... kept a clearance?
Who knows what he had on whom with respect to how far he was willing to go with his female alter ego....

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 18 December 2011, 13:31
Been There Done That

Manning may have a good defense on the "Gay Made Me Do It," since he was drafted into the military without a personal choice prior to the repeal of DADT...
Old 18 December 2011, 15:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

I wonder how he was able to take those classified files and put them on an unclassified computer and post them to Wikileaks.

I actually tried. I took a file from the SIPRnet machine, downloaded it onto a cd, and tried to run the disc on a NIPRnet machine. It didn't work. The disc displayed as empty, and this was due to the program that we had to use to make cd's on each machine. We also didn't have the capability to use anything with a USB port beyond a mouse and a keyboard. No peripheral monitors, no printers that weren't on the network, no thumbdrives. Even our sounds drivers were disabled so we wouldn't be tempted to load a music disc into the machines.

I cannot fathom that Bradley Manning was able to download hundreds/thousands of files from a secure network onto whatever media he used, and walk out of his work area without questions being asked. That tells me that there was a break in the chain-of-command and security protocols.

(note: for anyone thinking of tattling to the FBI, the NIPRnet machine I did this on wasn't connected to the net and was upgraded to a SIPRnet machine)
Old 18 December 2011, 15:26
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford289HiPo View Post
I wonder how he was able to take those classified files and put them on an unclassified computer and post them to Wikileaks.

I actually tried. I took a file from the SIPRnet machine, downloaded it onto a cd, and tried to run the disc on a NIPRnet machine. It didn't work. The disc displayed as empty, and this was due to the program that we had to use to make cd's on each machine. We also didn't have the capability to use anything with a USB port beyond a mouse and a keyboard. No peripheral monitors, no printers that weren't on the network, no thumbdrives. Even our sounds drivers were disabled so we wouldn't be tempted to load a music disc into the machines.

I cannot fathom that Bradley Manning was able to download hundreds/thousands of files from a secure network onto whatever media he used, and walk out of his work area without questions being asked. That tells me that there was a break in the chain-of-command and security protocols.

(note: for anyone thinking of tattling to the FBI, the NIPRnet machine I did this on wasn't connected to the net and was upgraded to a SIPRnet machine)
Downrange things have been much looser. Not right, but I could've done what Manning did during my time in Iraq. We used thumbdrives routinely....again, not right, but it was reality.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 18 December 2011, 15:27
Swimming Upstream

BTW, Bradley Manning's Facebook support page is just....swell.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 18 December 2011, 15:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Downrange things have been much looser. Not right, but I could've done what Manning did during my time in Iraq. We used thumbdrives routinely....again, not right, but it was reality.
I was downrange when I did that. I didn't realize that the standards were so different. I had presumed that everyone on the classified net was under the same restrictions.
Old 18 December 2011, 17:01
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
Saw the same thing. And they will find his niche.
Touché.
Old 18 December 2011, 17:24
Authorized Personnel

Don't care what sex he is. If he betrayed our Country, or the people who defend it, he deserves a fate much worse than whatever he ends up getting.
Old 18 December 2011, 17:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Manning may have a good defense on the "Gay Made Me Do It," since he was drafted into the military without a personal choice prior to the repeal of DADT...

Old 18 December 2011, 18:14
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford289HiPo View Post
I was downrange when I did that. I didn't realize that the standards were so different. I had presumed that everyone on the classified net was under the same restrictions.
Same restrictions apply to all; however, not every place follows the restrictions. In 2005, we had TS workstations, but our "network administrator" was one of the National Guard infantry guys assigned to us as a PSD guy. But in his day job, he was a network guy, so he ended up doing that as well...because we didn't have anyone else. It was an Adhoc, thrown together joint organization...perhaps things have improved by now.

Actually, they probably have improved due to Manning and Wikileaks...they've made some changes in CONUS as well. Long overdue.
Old 19 December 2011, 00:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Same here. We had no physical barriers to prevent downloading classified information from the SIPRNET on to thumb drives. I never did it, but the only barrier was a moral one. The machines for TS in the field vault were not thumb drive capable, so at least they couldn't be inadvertantly compromised.

I don't know what level of clearance/access Manning had, but it seems like his investigation would've turned up something out of sorts concerning his lifestyle. Hell, my investigator told me things about myself I didn't even know.

I know it sounds naive, but I still can't wrap my mind around how someone can attempt to screw over their country like this.
Old 19 December 2011, 01:50
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
Music and TV shows and movies were kept in "Morale" folders on share drives. With everyone wanting to get them onto their own personal drives things like what Manning is facing charges for could have been a lot more widespread.
Old 19 December 2011, 10:09
Odin's Underling

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawS7 View Post
Don't care what sex he is. If he betrayed our Country, or the people who defend it, he deserves a fate much worse than whatever he ends up getting.
Agreed!

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.

Our new posting rules