Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 December 2011, 23:27
Confirmed User

Sounds like the possible defense stratagies already conceed guilt of releasing classified documents and are identifying extenuating circumstances. Won't save him from a conviction but might lessen his punishment. Maybe.
Old 24 December 2011, 21:07
It's a Dry Heat

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog79 View Post
Same here. We had no physical barriers to prevent downloading classified information from the SIPRNET on to thumb drives. I never did it, but the only barrier was a moral one. The machines for TS in the field vault were not thumb drive capable, so at least they couldn't be inadvertantly compromised.

I don't know what level of clearance/access Manning had, but it seems like his investigation would've turned up something out of sorts concerning his lifestyle. Hell, my investigator told me things about myself I didn't even know.

I know it sounds naive, but I still can't wrap my mind around how someone can attempt to screw over their country like this.
If he was INSCOM he had a TS/SCI

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

In GOD we trust, all others we monitor
Old 24 December 2011, 21:54
Swimming Upstream

No love for Manning here:

http://www.stripes.com/manning-s-def...y-gis-1.164136

ByCapt. R. Clarke Cooper

Published: December 21, 2011
If he did what he’s accused of doing, Pfc. Bradley Manning is a traitor to the United States of America, and his choice to use “don’t ask, don’t tell” as a defense for treason is a betrayal of all gay and lesbian servicemembers past and present. Whatever his reasons or excuses, Manning does not deserve sympathy from anyone.
Upon enlistment into the Army, Manning swore to defend the United States from enemies both foreign and domestic; yet, if he stole and publically distributed classified material through WikiLeaks, he turned against his own country and became an enemy of the state. Perhaps the decision was an emotional outburst, reactionary or immature, but it was a conscious decision seemingly made by a trained professional soldier entrusted with a security clearance.
If he’s guilty, Manning not only violated security protocol and the Uniform Code of Military Justice, he violated the trust of his colleagues, the Army and his countrymen. Now that he prepares to stand trial, he has shown himself to be willing to sacrifice honorable gay and lesbian servicemembers to avoid responsibility. Lawyers for Manning are claiming that his struggle with his sexual orientation contributed to emotional problems that should have precluded him from working in a classified environment. This shameful defense is an offense to the tens of thousands of gay servicemembers who served honorably under “don’t ask, don’t tell.” We all served under the same law, with the same challenges and struggles. We did not commit treason because of it.
Log Cabin Republicans have long advocated that one’s sexual orientation should not be grounds for discrimination or dismissal in the workplace. As conservatives, we believe in the meritocracy of one’s labor. Good behavior and excellent performance come with reward and encouragement. Bad behavior and poor performance come with punishment and corrective measures. To justify misbehavior in the workplace because of minority status is detrimental to the morale and performance of others. For Manning’s legal counsel at Fort Meade, Md., to suggest that his orientation and/or gender identity be part of a defense or excuse for misbehavior is as unacceptable as the use of a “gay panic” defense by a murderer.
As a combat veteran and current reserve intelligence officer, I have testified to Congress that “don’t ask, don’t tell” was a hindrance to servicemember integrity, readiness and security, and was a waste of taxpayer dollars. Members of Congress learned that forcing servicemembers to hide or lie about their sexual orientation undermined servicemembers’ responsibility and accountability under the UCMJ. I told lawmakers that dishonesty was inherently counter to the long-held Army values of Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity and Personal Courage. Repeal advocates also warned that dishonesty and lying are security threats. That Bradley Manning’s apparent failure may be a predictable result of the corrupting influence of “don’t ask, don’t tell” does not excuse him from personal responsibility.
Today, sexual orientation is no longer a barrier for one to serve his or her country with honor. It should never be a defense for dishonor.
Capt. R. Clarke Cooper is executive director of Log Cabin Republicans. He was a diplomat in the George W. Bush administration, a combat veteran of the Iraq campaign and currently serves as a strategic intelligence officer in the Army Reserve with a Top Secret/SCI clearance at Fort Meade. The opinions expressed are his own

- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 26 December 2011, 00:29
Confirmed User

Hang the fag

"Believe it or not, this website cannot cure idiocy, no matter how hard we try." RGR. Montcalm
Old 26 December 2011, 01:22
Violent Social Worker

It's important to remember Manning would have gotten clean away with it if a hacker he was communicating with didn't turn him in.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 December 2011, 15:22
Been There Done That

I'm glad this thread is now about the Log Cabin Republican's pedigree. That is so much more interesting than Bradley Manning's situation.
Old 26 December 2011, 15:30
On the Extract Bird

The disgruntled "gay" defense...LOL

I know a former Marine 0331 (figures) did 20 years LAPD and is as gay as they come (haha, of course you would never know). He wants him dead and I don't blame him BBR. Setback for all whom just wanted to serve.

Last edited by CarbineM1; 26 December 2011 at 15:32.
Old 27 December 2011, 01:34
Authorized Personnel

Whatever happened to that whole "need to know"/clearance thing? My TS/BI granted me access to nuclear weapons information as it related to my duties, yet this fuck has unrestricted access to virtually everything but the CMS vault... WTF?
Old 27 December 2011, 11:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
And that's if the current POTUS does not pardon him, which I can see happening.
Beer Summit.

-Stan

All my life I wanted to go up in society. Where everything higher was legal, straight. But the higher I go, the more crooked it becomes. Where the hell does it end? -- Michael Corleone

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? -- Mark 8:36 KJV

Never get out of the boat. Absolutely goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. -- Captain Willard

Last edited by Stanley_White; 27 December 2011 at 11:09.
Old 27 December 2011, 11:32
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1026 View Post
Whatever happened to that whole "need to know"/clearance thing? My TS/BI granted me access to nuclear weapons information as it related to my duties, yet this fuck has unrestricted access to virtually everything but the CMS vault... WTF?
Come on brosef, ain't nobody's fault but Manning's...promotions all around! It isn't Sony's or STRATFOR's fault either.

P
Old 27 December 2011, 13:59
Old and Broke

Quote:
The Internet.

You had to go face to face to get access.
Today everything is mapped on a network, and few critical folders are password protected.
Old 27 December 2011, 14:50
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Well, his suitability aside (which appears to have been a big issue), his job as an analyst likely required him to have access to most areas. I can't speak to his access to DOS reports; however, most 35Fs have significant access in line with their duties as All Source analysts...the analysts I have worked with have always had significantly more access and knowledge of databases/info sources than I did.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 29 December 2011, 02:04
Been There Done That

The "why" is not germaine to the criminality of the act, does the law change because of race, creed or color, or now sexual choices? It is the act that is being prosecuted. This whole Clarrennce Darrow methodology of defense sickens me.
Old 29 December 2011, 06:26
Morte et une dame

The news, this morning, is that his defense team is going for a plea bargain.
Old 29 December 2011, 07:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Whole post.
Well said.

I could see his organization letting him retain access if he was a screw up to use him just to police the place. (Seen that done.) But still allowing him to log onto classified systems? Being able to bring in un-cleared media (music CD) and be able to download & copy to it WTF?

IME access is much as Purple stated for analysts. There was a LOT of information available and to do the job right; access to it is necessary. There also may be things that you don't have access to.

What REALLY pings me is his access to DOS communications. Yes; you might have access to some documents, reports, cables, and such from DOS. What I saw on WL attributed to Manning was inter-DOS communication traffic. To gain access to that required some help or Manning is doing a "McVeigh".
Old 29 December 2011, 08:02
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetPara View Post
Well said.

I could see his organization letting him retain access if he was a screw up to use him just to police the place. (Seen that done.) But still allowing him to log onto classified systems? Being able to bring in un-cleared media (music CD) and be able to download & copy to it WTF?

IME access is much as Purple stated for analysts. There was a LOT of information available and to do the job right; access to it is necessary. There also may be things that you don't have access to.

What REALLY pings me is his access to DOS communications. Yes; you might have access to some documents, reports, cables, and such from DOS. What I saw on WL attributed to Manning was inter-DOS communication traffic. To gain access to that required some help or Manning is doing a "McVeigh".
Or because it was a "combat zone" the infrastructure, architecture and controls were not as developed/monitored as they are in CONUS and in long established theatres. That was the case for where I worked in 05 in Baghdad.
Old 29 December 2011, 08:07
Been There Done That

It is a failure of leadership, that is all. Perceived extenuating circumstances are just a distraction.
Old 29 December 2011, 08:15
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Or because it was a "combat zone" the infrastructure, architecture and controls were not as developed/monitored as they are in CONUS and in long established theatres. That was the case for where I worked in 05 in Baghdad.
That is scary. What I infer from your statement is that because of system architecture, infrastructure, and controls - DOS traffic was reachable.

That increases my level of suspicion that he had help and is pulling a "McVeigh".
Old 29 December 2011, 11:44
BTDT

There is no reason a Sp4 in Iraq, needs to see documents about Hillary instructing State Department employees to steal credit card numbers.

There is also no 'James Bond' mission that allowed him to get that data.

IMO, both those comments are about trying to save face for the complete idiots involved in security/access of/to this data. Face it, it was in one big pile, and anyone could get it. I'd UCMJ and Chapter the whole lot, but like I said, I bet they got promoted.

A CD burner in a computer with access? Make him work for it for geez' sake.

There was a rule that said 'don't do this'. He did it anyway. He get's punished by the rule, after getting the best defense he can in our system. But OMG, please stop with all the end of the world talk. The Alwaki memo was TS, and it leaked, on purpose, by the admin, for propaganda. This garbage was 133,887 UnClass, 101,748 Class, and 15,652 Secret. There were no TS. Where's the uproar over the former? I'd also caution to be very careful how much success you want this administration to have, vis a vis, Whistle blowers. While it's debatable that Manning killed anyone, it's a fact that Fast & Furious did.

I wonder if Maliki kicked our asses out because of anything in those documents? LOL.

P
Old 18 July 2013, 10:48
Been There Done That

More Bad news for Poor PFC Manning

I think his supporters will not like this very much
From the BBC just a few minutes ago

12ShareFacebookTwitter.Wikileaks accused Bradley Manning loses challenge to most serious charge
A military judge has refused to dismiss the most serious charge facing a US soldier accused of leaking thousands of secret documents.

Lawyers for Pte Bradley Manning, 25, had argued the US has not proved that he "aided the enemy".

The charge carries a life prison term. He has previously pleaded guilty to 10 of the more than 20 charges he faces.

Prosecutors have argued he "systematically harvested" documents eventually seen by Osama Bin Laden.

"He was knowingly providing intelligence to the enemy," said Judge Colonel Denise Lind in Thursday's hearing at Fort Meade, Maryland.

The decision does not rule out the possibility of Pte Manning being ultimately acquitted of the charge.

The case is considered the largest-ever leak of secret US government documents.

Pte Manning told a pre-trial hearing in February that he had divulged the documents to spark a public debate about the role of US military and foreign policy.

Among the items sent to Wikileaks was graphic footage of an Apache helicopter attack in 2007 that killed a dozen people in the Iraqi capital Baghdad, including a Reuters photographer.

Other documents leaked included thousands of battlefield reports from Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as secure messages between US embassies and the state department in Washington.

Our new posting rules