Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 September 2017, 22:24
Confirmed User

Question for you Guys that Jump of of Air planes

Question for you Guys that Jump

Individual was in the 101st AB in Nam,

I know what most of the Ribbons /Award are But: what is the Air Metal for?
Old 14 September 2017, 22:28
Been There Done That

Did you try ye ole Google?
Old 14 September 2017, 22:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Did you try ye ole Google?
And spell check?
Old 14 September 2017, 23:25
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Question for you Guys that Jump

Individual was in the 101st AB in Nam,

I know what most of the Ribbons /Award are But: what is the Air Metal for?
Decent summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Medal

Not generally associated with jumping per se.
Old 15 September 2017, 06:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstshirt View Post
And spell check?
Heck I was lucky to even type; Had just got out the Hospital for back surgery an was still dope up some. When a friend ask me some question about his brother who we finely got registered with the V.A an trying to get his paper work filled for disability.
he lives in Louisiana. Close to New Orleans area an could use some help. His brother lives close to me.

I'll get his location an will PM it to someone close to him as he need a Veteran that can help him out.

Thanks in advance
Old 15 September 2017, 09:54
Been There Done That

Lots of guys in the 101st in VN were awarded Air Medals - door gunners, pilots, flight medics, Recon/LRRP guys...

Terry should be along at some point and may have further data for you...
Old 15 September 2017, 10:33
Been There Done That

it could be as simple as he did enough rides in a bird, working in the bird in some capacity (not a passenger drop off) to earn one. knew a guy who as a door gunner earned 32 AMs.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 15 September 2017, 11:25
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
it could be as simple as he did enough rides in a bird, working in the bird in some capacity (not a passenger drop off) to earn one. knew a guy who as a door gunner earned 32 AMs.
I have around 40 from VN.
Old 15 September 2017, 14:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Heck I was lucky to even type; Had just got out the Hospital for back surgery an was still dope up some. When a friend ask me some question about his brother who we finely got registered with the V.A an trying to get his paper work filled for disability.
he lives in Louisiana. Close to New Orleans area an could use some help. His brother lives close to me.

I'll get his location an will PM it to someone close to him as he need a Veteran that can help him out.

Thanks in advance

Hope your feeling better Wildman. To this day the worst surgery I've underwent was my low back surgery. There are lots of folks on here that can help with your friend's claim. There may already be some info in the VA thread.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 15 September 2017, 16:11
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
If you get a chance you should check out the last two issues of Smithsonian's Air & Space magazine, a couple of good articles on both the development of the Cobra, and a good account of how it was used in conjunction with the OH-6 as a scout. Of course, it probably would have been even better if they'd talked to you.

I'll have to ask my cousin about his Air Medals from Vietnam, he flew hundreds of missions over 3 tours in an A-7 in the Navy, had to have gotten a few. I know one of his awards, and it might have been above an AM, was presented to him by the CINCPAC personally.

I think it was for a mission in which they diverted to a secondary target, which was hidden under the thick canopy of the jungle, and he wound up scoring a direct hit on an ordnance/ammunition cache of some sort.

Didn't even realize it until his wingman told him about the secondary explosions as he was pulling out of his bombing run. So basically he got an award for hitting a target that he couldn't even see, but they had intel that it would be there.
Old 16 September 2017, 01:28
Confirmed User

Looking at a copy of the individuals DD214 he has Vietnam Service Metal w/2 stars, Vietnam Campion Metal w/60 Device; Bronze Star Metal.

His brother, he thinks was a gunner on a Helicopter. Being off work an won't be back at the V.A. until sometime in Oct. I am waiting for his location. He has a sister that is screwing things up, trying to help him. on his paperwork. He is in the system but not getting disability.
Old 16 September 2017, 08:30
Been There Done That

Metal, a solid material that is typically hard, shiny, malleable, fusible, and ductile, with good electrical and thermal conductivity (e.g., iron, gold, silver, copper, and aluminum, and alloys such as brass and steel): "vessels made of ceramics or metal" "being a metal, aluminum readily conducts heat"

Medal, a metal disk with an inscription or design, made to commemorate an event or awarded as a distinction to someone such as a soldier, athlete, or scholar.
synonyms: decoration ribbon star badge laurel palm award
Old 16 September 2017, 08:53
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post

Which you should write about

/derail
Old 16 September 2017, 12:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Which you should write about

/derail
Absolutely. We all enjoy your stories & experiences from VN.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 16 September 2017 at 12:26. Reason: Grammar
Old 16 September 2017, 12:39
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

My dad did three tours in Vietnam, first as an advisor and later with USMC infantry. He said that they spent so much time going place to place in helos that somebody calculated that they had done enough flight time to earn the Air Medal. However, the chain of command just laughed them off and told them to knock off the nonsense. Whether non-crew members of aircraft got the Air Medal probably depended on the willingness of their chain of command to dispense chest candy.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules