Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 September 2017, 00:20
Confirmed User

Civil unrest in St. Louis after white officer's acuittal

Protests in St. Louis turned violent s darkness set in Friday, with at least four cops assaulted and numerous demonstrators maced following the acquittal of a white officer in the shooting death of an African-American drug suspect.

http://foxnews.com/us/2017/09/15/st-...y-on-edge.html
Old 16 September 2017, 07:46
Confirmed User

After watching the video of that shooting, I am not sure how he isn't guilty.
Old 16 September 2017, 08:20
Amatuer TerrorAstrologist

Bench trial. Interesting...
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 16 September 2017, 11:41
Confirmed User

Wasn't there actually a gun on this guy? The videos I've seen are from dashcam. Can't see the guys hands.
Old 16 September 2017, 11:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Wasn't there actually a gun on this guy? The videos I've seen are from dashcam. Can't see the guys hands.
There was question about the officer going back to his vehicle after the shooting and retrieving a weapon from him duffel bag. Said officer then allegedly then planted the gun on the decedent. I only have a cursory knowledge of the incident, but I didn't like what I saw at first glance.
Old 16 September 2017, 12:13
Confirmed User

Well if that's the case then he ought to hang. Planting a gun on a fleeing criminal to get away with killing him, oh the irony.
Old 16 September 2017, 12:33
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

The guy who fled was a career criminal and was actively making himself a cancer upon society. The officer might or might not have been evil. If so, he should burn. However, whether the officer is guilty as charged or innocent as a lamb, the world is a better place without the guy that died. The possible guilt of the cop is worth investigating, but the death of the other guy is still worth celebrating regardless of how that was accomplished. The guy who killed Jeffrey Dahmer should be punished for murder, but nobody sheds tears over Dahmer.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 16 September 2017, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
The guy who fled was a career criminal and was actively making himself a cancer upon society. The officer might or might not have been evil. If so, he should burn. However, whether the officer is guilty as charged or innocent as a lamb, the world is a better place without the guy that died. The possible guilt of the cop is worth investigating, but the death of the other guy is still worth celebrating regardless of how that was accomplished. The guy who killed Jeffrey Dahmer should be punished for murder, but nobody sheds tears over Dahmer.
Is this what they call "virtue signaling"?
"I am going to permit this thread to continue under the following conditions: 1. The original poster will cease posting like he is a skateboarder. 2. The original poster will use the search engine." -magician
Old 16 September 2017, 12:49
Confirmed User

I can't say I paid much attention to the trial although physically it was only about 15 miles from the office. I can say as a defense attorney there are lots of ways to defend against the evidence the news reported. The choice of a bench trial was plainly a good idea as a city jury would likely have convicted.
Old 16 September 2017, 12:50
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
There it is.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 16 September 2017, 12:51
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Is this what they call "virtue signaling"?
I don't know what virtue signaling is, but I agree with him 100%.
Old 16 September 2017, 12:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
The ends justify the means? Not sure I want police to operate that way.

I am all for purging society of fuckers but this cop shot the perp with a personally owned AK pistol with a 75 round drum mag. He pulled that before his duty pistol or patrol rifle. While that does not mean he committed murder, this guy was a rolling issue.

Video of the pursuit and shooting. Shooting is at about 12:00... LINK

Quote:
According to police reports, Stockley has told Internal Affairs investigators and his sergeant, Colin Rumpsa, that he believed Smith was reaching for a revolver after being ordered to show him his hands. After shooting Smith, the videos showed Stockley return to the back seat and appear to dig through a duffel bag. He didn’t appear to have anything in his hands when he got out of the SUV and returned to Smith’s car. The video then stopped. Stockley’s lawyer has said Stockley was looking for a “clot pack” to stop Smith’s bleeding.

The video shows Stockley then climbing into the driver’s seat of the Buick immediately after Smith is pulled out. Police reports say Stockley’s DNA — but not Smith’s — was on the .38-caliber Taurus revolver police said was found in Smith’s car. Stockley told investigators he unloaded the revolver as a safety precaution after the shooting.

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 16 September 2017 at 13:18.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:08
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
The ends justify the means? Not sure I want police to operate that way.

I am all for purging society of fuckers but this cop shot the perp with a personally owned AK pistol with a 75 round drum mag. He pulled that before his duty pistol or patrol rifle. While that does not mean he committed murder, this guy was a rolling issue.
We appear to want to have our cake and eat it too.

Do we want to get rid of scum or don't we? Do we want them filling up warehouses full of cells, or do we want them smoked when they're caught red handed.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
I know, I know, ultimately someone will bring up the laws of this nation for a fair trial (cops being judge/jury/executioner)... everything and every law in this nation is under siege by these types of people (dead guy) and those who support them.
For the sake of argument I'll say, if the guy did something maliciously, maybe he should be investigated. However, given the dead guy... I wouldn't bother looking any closer. That's how I feel about it.
It's time we started taking out the trash the old fashioned way.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Oh the suspect was indeed a career scumbag, and I'm not shedding a tear for him. However, I want to make sure that we (LE) maintain a certain standard, and the ends justifying the means is no bueno. Again, I don't know enough about this one as of now to land on one side of the fence or the other. But it initially looked questionable, especially when running around with a personally owned AK pistol with drum mag. WTF?
Old 16 September 2017, 13:11
Confirmed User

I edited my post above to add the link to the video.

Quote:
It's time we started taking out the trash the old fashioned way.
Sure. Because the cops always get it right.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:12
Confirmed User

Don't know why we would want to celebrate killing any criminal, non violoent, by the police. This isn't China or some shit. I'm not even going to search his background but if it includes a series of very serious crimes he'd likely be incarcerated instead of running from the cops. Excluding dealing in drugs that kill ie. crack and heroin, or multiple violent crimes he still a citizen.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
this guy was a rolling issue.
People always claim they're not justifying the cop's actions when they applaud a cop going roid-rage on a drug dealer. Then it's a drunk. Then it's a protestor. Then it's an addict. Then it's a homeless person. Then it's a mouthy teenager. Then it's a nurse and all of the sudden everyone says, "How did we get here?"

I've had many fleeing and eluding cases with 5+ minutes of pursuit on dashboard camera (that's a long pursuit, at least in my area). Several of them were known drug dealers. Every single time the cops have managed to not lose their cool. This guy is a disgrace.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
Don't know why we would want to celebrate killing any criminal, non violoent, by the police. This isn't China or some shit. I'm not even going to search his background but if it includes a series of very serious crimes he'd likely be incarcerated instead of running from the cops. Excluding dealing in drugs that kill ie. crack and heroin, or multiple violent crimes he still a citizen.
The perp was convicted drug dealer. So the reality of the justice system letting him out is a valid issue.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamedic View Post
Do we want to get rid of scum or don't we? Do we want them filling up warehouses full of cells, or do we want them smoked when they're caught red handed.
Does that same logic apply to anyone caught red-handed?
Old 16 September 2017, 13:19
Very Deplorable

Perhaps his department had shitty gear, so he decided to bring his own weaponry. Where I am, the PD is responsible for their own firearms. They can self purchase what they want to use, from an approved list of course.

Our new posting rules