Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 April 2009, 17:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
...try ajiaco with a desert of quatro leches.
I've had tres leches and my g/f likes quatro leches, wtf is the fourth milk? I've asked the waiters and they didn't know.

Leche de cocinero?
Old 5 April 2009, 17:58
Authorized Personnel

I cook almost every day, everything from Steaks (do we need the steak thread again?) to Moroccan, to Indian, to Korean, etc...

Can't bake though and don't want to. I don't have a vagina.
Old 5 April 2009, 17:58
On the Extract Bird

That's the key, I had parents that enjoyed cooking and good food. Dad was military and it was required that all kids cooked for the family while he was at sea.
I have a photo of me with duck a l'Orange plated and surrounded by orange slices that I made when I was maybe 12 years old LOL.
It is a passion, good wine, good food, from BBQ to Duck a l'Orange add some good friends and there's not much better IMO.
I hope my son learns to enjoy it as much as I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrdrew View Post
I'm teaching my kids too, especially my son. Just like my mom did with me.
Old 5 April 2009, 18:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
You, sir, owe me a new monitor.

Sweet Moses, Scotch burns when it comes out the nose.
Old 5 April 2009, 18:17
Conquer Life.

I'm a bachelor and refuse to eat fast food unless I'm short on time.

I cook for myself all the time. 4 or 5 times a day. Mostly chicken, fish, ground turkey, salad, pasta, etc. I don't put much into it. I eat for nutrition not taste.

On the other hand, when I have chicks over, I'll grill some fish and pour wine. Or steak, etc. I learned how to make some pretty good desserts as well. Goes a loooonnng way.

Some of these recipes are great. Awesome thread idea.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 5 April 2009, 18:23
Psi Brr
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpCut View Post
Guilty as charged, brother. Takes practice and plenty of good single malt to tame that Italian rice.
Whip up a good haggis to go with that Scotch (duly capitalized), and fair's fair then.
Old 5 April 2009, 18:31
Psi Brr
Visitor

Boeuf Ragoût (Mom's Recipe) It's completely worth the wait, and somewhere below hides an actual recipe...

300 deg. F for 3 hours

Saute
1.5 lbs stew beef (boeuf) in butter (beurre) ( (yes, BUTTER; it's got a French name after all...).

Place it in a buttered casserole (I didn't say this was HEALTHY...), Add two med. sized onions (oignons) to the juice (jus) in the frying pan and brown. Add the entire potpourri, juice and all, to the meat in the casserole. (If, by now, the meat has moved from the casserole, it's a solid clue you probably should have browned it more, or someone is snitching it while you're not looking...)

Cut up four (4) carrots (carotte in French, if you're compelled to stick with the theme) in half, then in quarters lengthwise and add to the casserole with one (1) sliced green pepper (poivre). Add 1-1/2 cups of beef bullion (encaisse-or de boeuf), 1/4 cup red wine (vin rouge, and don't use cheap wine) [drink the rest of the bottle AFTER the casserole is in the oven...], some cut-up celery (céleri), and one (1) small can of tomato paste (colle de tomate).

You don't have to so anything special now, except for maybe putting the COVERED casserole into the oven (the one you pre-heated, remember that one? I TOLD you to wait for the wine!). You may now consume the remainder of the wine, unless you have company. This leads me to the following cooking tip: Prepare this dinner in advance, because if you have to enterain for 3+ hours, wine just isn't going to cut it... I suggest a superior bottle of Scotch.

Let braise those sumptuous morsels of meat for three (3) hours and stir it occasionally. Uncover the casserole during the final 1/2 hour of cooking.

Now, if you're anything like me and wish to exhibit discerning taste to your guests, prepare roughly one pound of fresh egg noodles (and I mean make them yourselves from scratch...) to afford a delicate bed to rest that ridiculously aromatic ragoût upon. Of course, if you're lazy or in a rush, I would seriously consider use a good grade of store-bought wide egg-noodle. If you or your guests have never had fresh pasta, you won't know the difference.

One final yet most critical point: Make sure you bought enough wine to prepare for the unlikely event dinner goes awry.
Old 5 April 2009, 18:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Obviously two statements exclusive of each other. Both possibly true.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 5 April 2009, 18:36
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_idiot View Post
I've had tres leches and my g/f likes quatro leches, wtf is the fourth milk? I've asked the waiters and they didn't know.

Leche de cocinero?
Dulce leche according to mi linda hermosa esposa.
Old 5 April 2009, 18:42
Blue and Gold

I love cooking and end up cooking more than not especially being single.

When I grew up my father owned a bakery and cooking just came to me...

I learned to cook Japanese food when I was stationed there and have loved to ever since. For the most part MOST of it is very healthy, fairly easy to cook and is hard to find good Japanese food here in the states.

As for other types of food I taught myself French & Italian which honestly aren't that hard.

But most of all one of my favorite things of all time to do is Smoke/BBQ. Once a month sometimes more I smoke up 10 racks of beef ribs or a few briskets at work and give them away and its a hit not to mention a huge morale booster for the guys here. As said earlier low and slow with a good spice rub is the way to go.
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate." - Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”
Old 5 April 2009, 18:49
Been There Done That

I love to cook. My fiance and friends all seem to like it. I suppose that I cook 5-6 nights a week. Chicken curry is my current favorite to cook. I also make some pretty good migas.
Old 5 April 2009, 18:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Brr View Post
Whip up a good haggis to go with that Scotch (duly capitalized), and fair's fair then.
Whoa! We must speak of the Haggis in hushed and reverent tones. More about that later; I shall take time to reflect before posting information of such a sacrosanct nature.
Old 5 April 2009, 19:04
Blue and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpCut View Post
Whoa! We must speak of the Haggis in hushed and reverent tones. More about that later; I shall take time to reflect before posting information of such a sacrosanct nature.
Haggis sounds good...
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate." - Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”
Old 5 April 2009, 19:15
Old and Grumpy

I usually cook Sunday dinner when the family comes over. I found if you just add one or two recipes a year to your repertoire, by the time you get to my age, you can do a lot. I love making pot roasts and pork roast varities. Also, from time spent in the Far East I've learned how to do my favorites, yakisoba, tempura, bulgogi, pork adobo etc. My kids dig eating the variety of things I make.
Old 5 April 2009, 19:19
Authorized Personnel

I cook all the meals. I am trying to get her to do a few here and there. I have been baking since I was about 8 and cooking full on meals since I was 14. Mom wouldn't cook the game I brought home so I had to learn to cook it. Big breakfasts on the weekends. Usually do all the cooking in deer camp.

Chicken and peppers:

boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
oil

Spices are to your taste:
fresh garlic
ground pepper
sage
oregano
liquid smoke

red, yellow and orange bell peppers cut into bite sized pieces
sweet onion chopped
white cooking wine

rice

saute your chicken in the oil with the spices and liquid smoke. with 5 minutes to go add the peppers, onions and wine. Cook until the peppers are tender.

Serve on rice with butter.

You can add tomatoes when you add the peppers, if you like them.

Then you need a big ass apple pie for dessert. Or apple dumplings. Or peach cobbler. Or all three, with brownies on the side.
Old 5 April 2009, 19:51
?

Smile Baking gets you sex

I grew up with bakers on both sides of my family. Making carmel rolls with grandma was one of my favorite past times. They are the best rolls ever (and I will stand by that until the day I die).

Today, the wife and I share the cooking. She tends to do more than I do because she is home a lot more than I am. I'm the only one in the house that does bread though. If I'm in the doghouse, all I have to do is bake up a good banana bread or zucchini bread (in the summer with fresh picked zucchini from the garden!). It gets me laid everytime!
Old 5 April 2009, 19:55
Confirmed User

My wife works for a Japanese company, so she works Japanese company hours. Consequently, I do 75% of the cooking in my house, and I really enjoy it most of the time.
One of my favorites is grilled banana sauce chicken:
• 3-4 decent sized chicken breasts
• 1/2 bottle of Filipino banana sauce (NOT banana ketchup!) – it can be found at most Asian markets.
• Soy sauce to taste
• 1 BIG clove of garlic, chopped or pureed
• 1 lemon worth of lemon juice
• 1 medium pinch of sugar
Mix everything together and marinate chicken from 1 hour to overnight, then fire it on the grill and get ready for pure goodness.

I'm also a big fan of Sam the Cooking Guy. I'll check out his site once or twice a week to get ideas for quick tasty dinner that my kids will enjoy.
Old 5 April 2009, 20:08
Banned 26FEB10

I cook probably 60-80% of the time now, up from 20-30% of the time before. My wife didn't like cooking much, and then started working, so I do most of it now. I am not a natural cook-I have to have a recipe to consult for most things.

A lot of times I am just preparing easy food. I don't do a true home-cooked meal every night. We are all too hungry by the time we get home in the evening to wait that long.

I am trying to break the family out of a rut consisting of only 7-8 different regular meals into a wider repertoire. I have been using allrecipes.com as well.

I don't bake, and don't usually do desserts.

In the past three weeks I have started trying to make Arroz con Pollo that will taste like what I get in Mexican restaurants when I travel and get to eat in them, but so far, I haven't gotten it to turn out anywhere close to the same-I just don't know what spices to use to start with, and the restaurants I have been to of course won't tell me how to do it. I am sure that isn't the only thing I am doing wrong either.

My attempt yesterday turned out more like a Chicken Paella and was well received by everyone. I like surprises like that as long as they turn out well.

Tonight is Kahlua Pork and rice. I take a Pork shoulder, a Tablespoon of Liquid Smoke and a Tablespoon of Sea Salt rubbed in, then throw it into a slow cooker and cook on low for 16-20 hours until the meat shreds with a fork. Long grain rice cooked with broth instead of water in a rice cooker is the yang to the yin of the pork.

If anyone here knows how to make a good Arroz con Pollo, please let me know. I LOVE it, but in this area, there are absolutely no authentic Mexican food places. Even in Green Bay, with a fast-growing Hispanic population, I can't find it.
Old 5 April 2009, 20:11
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
I got one, but it costs me a lot of money... Mostly on the weekends, and when we are around malls... Sometimes, I actually get to use it, for it's intended purpose. Otherwise, it's pretty much a pain in the ass. I try not to listen to it too much, but sometimes, you can't tune it out.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 5 April 2009, 20:14
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
I got one, but it costs me a lot of money... Mostly on the weekends, and when we are around malls... Sometimes, I actually get to use it, for it's intended purpose. Otherwise, it's pretty much a pain in the ass. I try not to listen to it too much, but sometimes, you can't tune it out.

That's some funny shit....and true.

Our new posting rules