Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 April 2009, 20:52
Psi Brr
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan View Post
Haggis sounds good...
It's unfortunate there's more bad haggis than good, but good haggis is to die for. EVERYTHING tastes better with good scotch.
Old 5 April 2009, 20:57
Only slightly useless.

I run a million dollar a year restuarant....but the wifey refuses to let me near the kitchen. Hahaha!

" My Son is my new Hero"
Old 5 April 2009, 21:00

I cook on the weekends, though I sometimes miss a meal.

I can certainly defend myself in the kitchen, though it's not anything to write home about. Pizza, Sloppy Joes, Hamburgers, Spaghetti, Tuna and Shells and occasionally a steak or rack of lamb. I like making waffles for breakfast, but more often it's pancakes (from scratch...not Bisquik). There's nothing wrong with Bisquik pancakes (or anything else from a box), but a former girlfriend showed me how to make pancakes from scratch back in college and I never went back.

Regards,

13AP3
Old 5 April 2009, 21:09
Confirmed User

I'm about to make some ramp butter with the ramps we picked yesterday.
Old 5 April 2009, 21:42
Confirmed User

I don't cook much but enjoy it when I do. I'd have to say I can probably make the best steak and mushrooms in history.
Old 5 April 2009, 22:02
Chew Toy of the Gods

Quote:
Haggis sounds good...
Pure luck, because it sure doesn't smell good.

"Zombie fire ants may sound like a science-fiction movie, but they are the real deal ..."
-Mary Lee, KXAN, Austin
Old 5 April 2009, 22:16
Blue and Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Brr View Post
It's unfortunate there's more bad haggis than good, but good haggis is to die for. EVERYTHING tastes better with good scotch.
On the note of Scotch I completely agree with you... I just polished off a bottle of Laphroaig 25yr and am about to open up a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra for some cask strength goodness.

I have made haggis twice and the first time sucked but the 2nd time wasn't bad at all and am hoping it just gets better and better. Regarding the smell honestly it isn't that bad and from eating foods around the world there are things out there that smell much much worse but are still worth trying. Just because it doesn't look appetizing or smell good doesn't mean it isn't worth eating by any means.
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate." - Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”
Old 5 April 2009, 22:27
Been There Done That

My best friends family growing up was from mexico, and every tme I would stay at his house his mom would make homemade salsa, fresh tortillas and beans, and a mixture of potatoes, scrambled eggs and onions...I believe that's right. i've tried that a few time, but it never comes out correctly. Anyone with authentic hispanic dishes please post...I love hat stuff. I have numerous recipes from the family, but mostly eveything is on the fly, and there are no measurements.

Except for a real cajun roux, that's easy, just time consuming!

hey, RgrDrew, how have you been? Going to email again some day, but it's been a lil busy on the streets these days. Our PD just got a guy from BCo, he remebered the red head from 1st plt and some others...funny stories...especially about how Batt changed!
Old 5 April 2009, 22:39
Confirmed User

My wife is diabled, therefore I cook. I am not a chef, nor do aspire to be one, although I admire those who are(and their recipes). My family is from Louisiana, I live in Texas(with all the Hispanic influences thereof), and five generations of Southern influence has imbued me with a certian appreciation and love of the magnificent meals that have originated from few ingredients and lots of creativity. With that base, I've explored foods throughout my travels and found most wonderful, (albeit Pancit with little feet in it, and Dog Adobo gave me pause...until I tasted it. Seal blubber I just couldn't get around, tho..).
Those travels indoctrinated me in German and Italian foods, which I still love to cook(by the way,pasta is a side dish, not an entree, IMHO), and there are few finer dishes than a true Goulaschesuppe, with salad and black bread with butter, served at a little resturant near the Bahnhof in Lamperthiem...Never did get that one right, but best if served after a 20 minute slide on ice across town.

-Anyway, here's a decent facimile, stolen from the Internet. Pretty good...

Goulache suppe

2 c Onion; Chopped
1/4 c Shortening
3 ea Green Bell Peppers; Chopped
3 T Tomato Paste
1 lb Beef Cubes; 1-inch Cubes
1 x Red Pepper; Dash
1 t Paprika
2 ea Garlic Cloves; Minced
6 c Beef Broth; *
1 T Lemon Juice
1/4 t Caraway Seeds

* Beef Broth can be either canned or home made (home made is preferred.)

Fry onions in hot fat until transparent. Add green peppers and tomato
paste. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add lean beef cubes and remaining
ingredients. Simmer about 1 1/2 hours, until meat is tender. (Add cubed
potatoes if you like and simmer until potatoes are done.) Best when
reheated and served the second day.

Tweak to suit.
Old 5 April 2009, 23:30
Been There Done That

There are those that sit and chill in front of the TV when they get home from work. There are those tat sit in front of a computer when they get home from work. There are even those who sit on the front porch, drink a beer, and watch the world go by when they come home from work. All in the name of "winding down."

Me, I cook to unwind from work. 99.9% of the time it is me cooking. Of course this causes issues in timing for some nights. Getting home a little late and the kid having some after dinner activity. Key is planning out the weeks of meals so that it can be whipped up fairly quickly so that consuming can be done before bedtime.

Weekends are my time to shine. I do pretty well during the week, but on weekends it is all out for the family.

One of the neat things my family does for me is "secret ingreedent night." By this I mean that every time we go grocery shopping they conspire to pick something that I have to make the center point of a meal. Sometimes it is fairly easy (stew meat, but I cant make stew - beef bouringon was a hit (yes I know it is a form of a stew), ground turkey, polenta, etc). They have become pretty creative and we have learned to try some new and different things.

Learned form my mother and grandmother and have tweaked their recipes to fit mine and my families palets. One of my sisters is an executive/head chef and you should see family get togethers - we pretty much fight over who gets to do the cooking.

Here is probably my wifes favorite recipe, she calls them yummies (sister put them on her menu as an appitizer and they were heartely accepted):

Yummies:
1lb thin sliced chicken breast
1lb bacon
10-12 fresh green jalapenos
1 small bottle Soy Sauce
Ground pepper
Toothpicks

Cut each thin breast into four portions. Cut each slice of bacon in half. Cut each jalapeno into thirds lengthwise (remove seeds and pith unless you like it hotter). Assemble as such - place pepper on piece of chicken, wrap with piece of bacon, pin with toothpick. Place assembled yummies in a square or rectangular (preferably glass to prevent reaction from Soy or peppers) container and cover with Soy and ground pepper. Maranide for 30 or so minutes, although can be done over night - just makes them saltier. Heat grill to med high. Place on grill and cook until bacon is pretty much black and chicken is cooked through. Recipe should make around 30 pieces, enough for three people. Pair with a pasta and olive oil or chicken rice.

Time consuming preperation, but for flavor is pretty cool. Smokey goodness from the bacon, firm chew with the chicken, crisp bite from the pepper. Works very well with other forms of pultry as well - especially duck as the bacon keeps it from drying out.

Oh, the key to kitchen goodness and success is bacon grease. High fat, not very good for you - but OH the flavor. Grandmother used to keep it around just to spread on toast... I use it in place of most oils if I am not looking for a light flavor. Does wonders on just about anyway one can cook a potato.
Old 5 April 2009, 23:45
Confirmed User

I learned how to make French Toast when I was 8 or 9. I was one of those kids that mom and dad just taught me how to do everything instead of worrying about me breaking something/me.

But yeah, I love to cook, and wish I had more opportunity to do it. I make a killer beef stew, where the beef stays nice and tender for days.

I make this one Puerto Rican dish I learned from my mom called picadillo which is basically just ground meat mixed with assorted spices and yum stuff like raisins. Throw that on a bed of jasmine rice, and it's pure heaven. Then, take it a few days later (again, one of those dishes that is better the day or so after you first cook it) and turn it into meat sauce for some pasta and it's heaven part deux. When I first made this for my folks, my mom actually said it was the best picadillo she's had since she left PR, and she wasn't being nice... she was actually a little pissed that I out cooked her. HA!!

One of the last things that I really experimented with was a oriental chicken stir fry that I basically made up on my own that shockingly (and I mean, even I wasn't sure it was going to turn out edible) good. I cheated and got one of the bags of frozen stir fry, but I marinated the chicken breast and then cut it up, sauteed, then threw the veggies on and let simmer... brilliant.

For breakfast, I love my omelets. Usually, I'll take a blueberry bagel, put a slice of turkey on each half, and then make my omelet simple with a slice of muenster cheese in the middle, and eat it like a sandwich. I don't even want to know how many calories, but GREAT after I do my run/swim workouts.

I miss cooking...
Old 6 April 2009, 00:12
Psi Brr
Visitor

Quote:
On the note of Scotch I completely agree with you... I just polished off a bottle of Laphroaig 25yr and am about to open up a bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra for some cask strength goodness.

I have made haggis twice and the first time sucked but the 2nd time wasn't bad at all and am hoping it just gets better and better. Regarding the smell honestly it isn't that bad and from eating foods around the world there are things out there that smell much much worse but are still worth trying. Just because it doesn't look appetizing or smell good doesn't mean it isn't worth eating by any means.
Brother, for bad smell and overall grossness, I offer you baloot, the Phillipino delicacy. It's better than Ipecac... yum!

Last edited by Psi Brr; 6 April 2009 at 00:21.
Old 6 April 2009, 00:20
Psi Brr
Visitor

Old 6 April 2009, 00:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Brother, for bad smell and overall grossness, I offer you baloot. Better than Ipecac...

Oh, yeah, forgot that one..even in my drunkest stupor...But I CAN remember the plaintive calls of the Balut salesmen in the early morning, as I turn in bed to the coyote choice of the previous evening...and have this overwhelming urge to shower and brush my teeth as I bolt for the Shit River Bridge...Damn you, Mojo...
Old 6 April 2009, 00:25
Psi Brr
Visitor

Bad gastronomic memories... Just another service I provide.
Old 6 April 2009, 00:31
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
In the past three weeks I have started trying to make Arroz con Pollo that will taste like what I get in Mexican restaurants when I travel and get to eat in them, but so far, I haven't gotten it to turn out anywhere close to the same-I just don't know what spices to use to start with, and the restaurants I have been to of course won't tell me how to do it. I am sure that isn't the only thing I am doing wrong either.

If anyone here knows how to make a good Arroz con Pollo, please let me know. I LOVE it, but in this area, there are absolutely no authentic Mexican food places. Even in Green Bay, with a fast-growing Hispanic population, I can't find it.
Part of the problem w/ not being able to find it in a Mexican resturant, is that it is a Cuban dish. Mi madre es Cubana - I grew up eating this stuff. Growing up in S. LA, for me, it ranks right up there w/ crawfish etoufee as one of my favorites. Although I don't have my Mom's recipe, I bought a cookbook just for the recipe. Here it is:

1/3 C Olive oil
10 skinless/boneless pollo breasts
1 med white onion - chopped
1 green and 1 red bell ppr
8 lrg cloves of garlic, crushed
1/4 t cumin
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
1 x 14.5oz can tomato puree
6 C water/chicken broth
2# (4 C) medium grain arroz
2 t salt
1/4 t bijol (the key!)
12oz can beer
28oz can peas (drained)
4oz can pimentos (drained/sliced)

1.Frying/seasoning - Add oil/Pollo - cook until lightly browned. Add bell pprs, garlic, and cumin. Continue cooking until onions are tender. Stir in cilantro - cook 1 min.

2. Simmering - Add tomato puree' to the skillet. Reduce heat to med/low, and simmer uncovered for 6 min. Add 6 C of agua, the arroz, salt and bijol, stirring thoroughly. Bring to a boil, reduce to low heat. Cover and don't touch for 30 min. Don't lift the lid or anything, while rice is cooking.

3. Remove lid, slowly pour beer over cooked rice until it's completely absorbed. When foam subsides, stir to mix and continue cooking for 2-3 min. Transfer arroz con pollo to a platter and garnish w/ peas and pimentos.

While I haven't used this particular recipe, I had my Mom look at it, and she said it's basically the same as her's, only w/o the beer, bell peppers, tomato puree' and pimentos.

Enjoy.

BTW - I tried the same thing w/ a boudain recipe in LA - even offered to pay $100 for it, and leave the state (I was headed back to AK anyway), and they wouldn't give it to me either! So - I said the hell w/ it, and made my own!
Old 6 April 2009, 00:54
Confirmed User

As far as cooking - when I was married the last time - I did all of the cooking. The then wife's idea of the 4 food groups, was eat-in, eat-out, frozen and canned. The woman coudn't boil water, w/o burning it!

I told her if she would do the dishes, I would do the cooking. Best deal I ever made (other than the divorce!).

As far as cooking - as a single parent, and a PSG - I usually cooked something on Sun, and we would eat it until about Thurs night. Fri was some sort of pizza/easy to make dish. Sat - who knows, Sun - start all over again.

I have been known to make a mean brisket (you can eat on those things for a while!). Slow and low are your friends. Covered for the 1st few hrs, then pull the cover off. Biggest one I ever cooked was 22#. I cut it in 1/2, and started w/ the thick part 1st, then the thin part. I wish I could have gotten to eat all of it, however, a bear grabbed it off of the back deck while I had it cooling off that night!

Generally I'm a dutch oven w/ a roux involved type of person. Cast iron cookware should be the 8th wonder of the world!

Last edited by flhshvlhed; 6 April 2009 at 00:55. Reason: grammer
Old 6 April 2009, 01:22
Blue and Gold

Quote:
Brother, for bad smell and overall grossness, I offer you baloot, the Phillipino delicacy. It's better than Ipecac... yum!
There is always Vegemite or putrefied skate aka Skata...
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate." - Sun Tzu 'The Art of War'

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche

O Israel
The LORD bless you and keep you;
The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

Asymmetric Warfare It’s not just for the “Other Guys”
Old 6 April 2009, 02:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
...But I CAN remember the plaintive calls of the Balut salesmen in the early morning, as I turn in bed to the coyote choice of the previous evening...and have this overwhelming urge to shower and brush my teeth as I bolt for the Shit River Bridge...Damn you, Mojo...
Truer words never spoken... hahaha
Ahh, Magsaysay Street, brings back some memories.
Used to get a mean Ham and Egg on an English Muffin from one of the street vendors, right before the bridge.
Beat the balut, and "mystery meat on a stick" for those early morning, still drunken musters.
Thanks for the "trip down memory lane" Boats.
Old 6 April 2009, 02:18
Greenhat
Visitor

Two Italian aunts and a German grandmother. I cook and I bake be I'll put my lasagne up against any.

Our new posting rules