Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 19 February 2010, 16:31
Been There Done That

Mattress

Ranger Buddies, I'm looking for some advice. Like all of us, I'm now physically paying for those years of fun.

I ran the search "mattress" on SOCNET and got a few hits amongst various strings but nothing directly on point.

I'm having huge problems sleeping - I've used a waterbed for years due to back and OA problems but it's letting me down and I'm sore. I've adjusted firmness (both ways many times) and no joy.

I'm thinking of getting with one of those memory foam ones and am looking for recommendations from those of you with age/back/sciatica problems. I've got DDD throughout my back, Hx of Fx at C-5 and L-1, OA, neuropathy in both arms/hands and sciatica.

Any of you had good/bad experiences with them? I've found prices just under a grand at Costco up to $7.5K at Tempur's website. Most have risk free trial periods but I'm trying to get the best that I can the first try.

I know a bunch of us here are way older than our chronological years and figured somebody has had the same troubles. Suggestions? Tnx and RLTW!

v/r
phil
Old 19 February 2010, 16:55
BTDT

I'm not a Ranger, but I have bad everything, and begrudgingly laid out about 4k for a Tempurpedic. It was the best money I ever spent.
Old 19 February 2010, 17:44

I popped a disc in my neck on a jump years ago and two spine surgeries later, I have heard that the temperpedic were good, but they get hot and keep you hot, so if you are in the south that would suck. I ended up with a 2k mattress with a memory foam layer from MACY's hotel collection but its a regular mattress underneath. Its firm but not as much as a temperpedic...
Old 19 February 2010, 19:17
Amateur Barbarian

Also not a Ranger, but highly recommend the Tempurpedic. They have various models with different firmness and covers that dissipate heat. Any sleep is good, but good sleep is great!
Old 19 February 2010, 20:28
Confirmed User

I apologize in advance for being out of lane, but I can strongly recommend the Tempur-pedic. My lower back is trashed and I have DDD. I used to not be able to get out of bed without rolling onto the floor. I get up normally now. Back still sucks but at least I can get out of bed. I got the mid grade $4000 version. However, I have been told that one does not necessarily get better back support just because the tempur mattress is more expensive. Some of the cheaper tempurs are just as good. I am in TN and have not had much of an issue of the mattress sweating me. The retailers advised us that the off brand memory foam mattresses are more likely to sweat you. We have had ours for years now and it is still GTG. Half our family ended up buying one. Hope it works for you.
Old 19 February 2010, 20:45
Adding Chlorine

We have had the Select Comfort for a few years now. Best money I have spent to date. I can not say enough good about the sleep I am finally able to get. Coma time. My number is 75 by the way.

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 19 February 2010, 22:05
Been There Done That

We have a Tempurpedic matress, love it. It can get warm if you're not careful. We've slept on a sleep-number bed and like it as well.

If you go with a Tempurpedic, go to one of their stores and check out what they have.
Old 20 February 2010, 09:58
BTDT

After sleeping in the same general position for months, does that memory foam *really* return to as delivered shape? I hear that a "depression" forms?

P
Old 20 February 2010, 10:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
After sleeping in the same general position for months, does that memory foam *really* return to as delivered shape? I hear that a "depression" forms?

P
We have a Sealy Posturpedic, same thing as the Tempurpedic.

No depression has formed. Had it for going on 3 years.

And it is awesome.
Old 20 February 2010, 10:03
BTDT

return to form

I am at 2 years and still good to go. I would be concerned about that with inexpensive knock-offs.
Old 20 February 2010, 12:40
Authorized Personnel

This thread couldn't come at a better time. I'm sitting on the couch with a pillow behind my lower back due to it just being sore as all hell. Got it narrowed down to my bed since I haven't done anything to pull any muscles. Have had back problems since leaving the Deuce.

Guess I'm going to have to splurge on a new mattress, definitely have sag in the center.
Old 20 February 2010, 12:52
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

Fu King and All:
At my age I have anything in body structure that needs attention, and a decent night's sleep is a luxury.

I have tried the expensive soft mattresses, the hard mattresses, and even looked into the power adjustable configuation beds @ $7k a copy. And here, the story is that if the $7K configuaration does not satisfy you can turn the bed back in. However, you do not turn the failed purchase back in for cash, but rather must trade across for another $7K worth of bedding or whatever. And of course any bed does not prove itself out until after one, two, or three nights of hopeful comfortable sleep.

Me? I sleep in a La-Z-Boy chair. I have for some time. Approx a month ago I wanted to go pagan and tried to sleep in our King size for one night. The next morn my back told me not to do that again, Back to the La-Z-Boy.

There is an advantage to the La-Z-Boy gig. You get to watch TV until the final minute of trying a sleep attempt. And you can watch TV when you awaken early. And after watching today's news you can upchuck in that bucket you have at the ready standby.
Old 20 February 2010, 14:13
Authorized Personnel

One other thought - on topic for lower back pain: shoes. Like most dudes I will wear a pair of shoes down to nothing. I also step harder on my right heel than my left which, after wearing shoes down, puts my back out of alignment. Finally broke down and went to a real shoe store (running) and had them look at my stance, my gait, etc, etc and bought a new pair. Helped my lower back a lot.

I had riding boots I'd wear all the time to the point of duct taping them up because they had holes in the soles and the heels were down to nothing.
Old 20 February 2010, 16:07
The Sagacious One

I bought a tempur pedic knock off and love it. I lay down at night and it seems like I get up 10 minutes later and I have slept the requisite 5 hours.
Old 20 February 2010, 16:19
shiver me timbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
I had riding boots I'd wear all the time to the point of duct taping them up because they had holes in the soles and the heels were down to nothing.
Those were worn out when I saw you a couple years ago.

We have a Sealy Posturpedic and it's the best bed I have slept on. Period. Very comfortable & forgiving for us folks with beat up skeletons.
Old 20 February 2010, 16:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltrane View Post
Those were worn out when I saw you a couple years ago.
I actually still wear them around when my back's not fucked up...
Old 20 February 2010, 17:31
Retired Veteran

This is not what I thought the discussion would be, given the keywords of Ranger and Mattress.
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson
Old 21 February 2010, 01:22
ORP

If I haven't stretched properly before and after a long / heavy ruck, sometimes my lower back will give me some real issues. A couple nights sleeping on two bedrolls flat on my back with a couple pillows behind my head stretching out my back muscles / spine always sorts it out. $10 at your local Army / Navy store if you don't have a couple somewhere in a closet already.

Good core body exercise helps out the back as well. Don't know what your fitness is like but if you're getting soft around the midsection after years of being strack, it can cause back problems to come up that have always been there, that were previously held in place by muscle tone.

But Phil, if you have a good Doctor, you should give him a ring and ask him. We were all dumb enough to screw up our backs / legs / feet just like you. What the hell do we know?

Everyone raise your hands whose ankles / feet crack like rice crispies. And have since you were about 21.

See, we're not very bright are we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Me? I sleep in a La-Z-Boy chair.
That sounds incredible Sir just thinking about it. Ultimate man throne. Makes me want to buy one.

Last edited by Ranger1; 21 February 2010 at 15:06.
Old 21 February 2010, 08:49
BTDT

FU

I spent a month 1/2 @ Martin Army H., early in my carreer, for a lower back injury. I retired w/an 80% VA disability rating.

I've stuck w/a firm matress & attempted to stay "active". That seems to have been the ticket, so far.

I've "re-injured" myself a couple times; no joy. But, have always come back around after say a month of doing what needed to be done and then just laying down; waiting for the swelling to go down.
Old 21 February 2010, 13:05
Valhalla July 4, 2016 RIP Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post

Good core body excercise helps out the back as well. Don't know what your fitness is like but if you're getting soft around the midsection after years of being strack, it can cause back problems to come up that have always been there, that were previously held in place by muscle tone.
Kirk and All
Kirk is most correct.

Years ago my back was pain, pain and more pain. I was doing some walking and floor exercises at home. But the pain continued. Then I visited a Doctor of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. This Dr. turned me over to one of his many therapist, a MS in Rehab Medicine. I was taught the various correct exercises to bring both my back and stomach muscles into coordination. It all worked. It took 60 days of the therapist's exercises that I did at home, but I stopped bouncing off the walls upon initial arising in the mornings.

One of my exercises the therapist cut out was bracing myself upon my shoulders on the floor and doing bicycle exercises with legs in the air. I don't know why the therapist thought this exercise was bad, but I stopped and with the other correct exercises my back came into some semblance of shape without much pain.

Our new posting rules