Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 30 September 2010, 17:45
Confirmed User

It cracks me up when someone gives me a hard time about how much I might have spent on a pillow or bed. Then I ask them, how much of your life do you spend sleeping and you want to be cheap about it?

Winston Churchill
Old 30 September 2010, 19:39
Authorized Personnel

Foam isnt for everyone, they do get warm. Ive had one for a few years now, never really liked it. Kings Down is what I will probably get to replace it, they have a test bed that measure your body. Tells you which firmness you need, seems to really work. You can get them with two different firmness levels. They do have some foam at the top, the lower priced models have less and stay cooler. Very comfortable, if you are near a store its definitely worth a visit.

http://www.kingsdown.com/default.aspx
Old 1 October 2010, 04:11
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktek01 View Post
Foam isnt for everyone, they do get warm. Ive had one for a few years now, never really liked it. Kings Down is what I will probably get to replace it, they have a test bed that measure your body. Tells you which firmness you need, seems to really work. You can get them with two different firmness levels. They do have some foam at the top, the lower priced models have less and stay cooler. Very comfortable, if you are near a store its definitely worth a visit.

http://www.kingsdown.com/default.aspx

X2 Had one for about a year now, best sleep in years. The foam just did not work for me at all.
Old 23 May 2011, 20:11
In Vino Veritas

Bump. Got a new bedroom set and upgraded my bed size so it's time for a new mattress. Any updates on the memory foam specifically the Costco foam?

I was thinking about another nice pillow top mattress, but I remembered this thread, so I wanted to check in. Maybe it will be a memory foam mattress.
Old 23 May 2011, 20:44
Confirmed User

That 3" memory foam from Costco was too thick for us. You kind of get stuck, but the good thing was the temperature regulation or whatever they call it. In other words, it didn't get too hot. We scrapped it for a euro top (functionally same as pillow top) and my muscles thank me every day. For the past few years I thought something was physically wrong with me as far as soreness goes... I hurt every day getting out of bed. Lo and behold, I just needed a plush bed. Best money I've ever spent...Vera Wang by Serta.

Last edited by smoked; 23 May 2011 at 20:48.
Old 23 May 2011, 20:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoked View Post
Vera Wang by Serta.
So you sleep on a Wang, huh? Do you sit on a chubby?
Old 24 May 2011, 00:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers snaplink View Post
Bump. Got a new bedroom set and upgraded my bed size so it's time for a new mattress. Any updates on the memory foam specifically the Costco foam?

I was thinking about another nice pillow top mattress, but I remembered this thread, so I wanted to check in. Maybe it will be a memory foam mattress.
This is what I got and while I do agree that it sleeps a little hot, I keep my place somewhat glacial anyways.

Comforpedic

Next time around I'd probably settle for something just as comfortable but a little less "hot".

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 24 May 2011, 03:26
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post

Next time around I'd probably settle for something just as comfortable but a little less "hot".
Oh, I thought it was going to be an ad for a gay Thai boy

Thanks! I have to choose wisely because it's so mild here none of the houses have AC, so if I don't I could be spending a lot of restless nights

Is there something one can do to make sure it's not hot or to make it cooler?
Old 24 May 2011, 03:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Is there something one can do to make sure it's not hot or to make it cooler?
Ask one of the guys here if you could borrow one of their ex-wives?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 26 May 2011, 19:06
Confirmed User

Regardless of the amount, spend the cash to get something that's gonna last. No matter what the cost. I mean you spend the majority of your life on it. We got a Stearns and Foster's Dynasty, pillowtop. Non flip. Body lined and body zoned memory foam. Have had it for four years. Hand's down, the best mattress we have had. Period.
Old 26 May 2011, 20:34
Administrator

The best beds I ever slept in were water beds. Heat that sucker up to about 90 degrees and you don't move until morning. The memory foam stuff is ok, but the chemical smell gave me a headache all the time. That said, some of the best sleep I ever had was in a shallow foxhole in the mountains of California with a woobie and a wool hat after 7 days in the field. Some of the worst was in a snow cave. I refuse to live above Interstate 10 now.
Old 26 May 2011, 21:18
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
I refuse to live above Interstate 10 now.
LOL
Old 26 May 2011, 22:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Any updates on the memory foam specifically the Costco foam?
The Costco foam has a nasty chemical smell to it. If you don't want to spend months with fans on it to air it out check out the nicer brands.
Old 26 May 2011, 23:34
Been There Done That

I did the sleep number, put in on 100 the first night. First time in 10+ years I didn't have to roll out of bed and pull myself up.....It works for me

Rules of the Regt
If it makes sense....don't do it
If it tastes good.....spit it out
If you think you're going the right way........turn around
This place sucks.....let's live here
Old 27 May 2011, 11:44
Fitness Mod

The memory foam has a nasty smell at first but ours cleared up pretty quickly.
We bought ours at Kohl's. 2" thickness, I believe.

I'm not a big fan. Very comfortable to sleep on but I get weird abdominal soreness about 15 minutes after I get out of bed. It goes away in an hour or so. Just kind of odd. I thought I was getting an inguinal hernia but the Doc just looked at me strange when I explained the issue.
My wife likes it and has a hard time sleeping. I sleep great so I put up with it.

The mattress underneath is a Stearns & Foster and I slept great on it.

Major endorsement on Stearns and Foster mattresses though. I used to have lower back issues all the time before we bought it. It's one of the luxury plush (no pillow top) and was expensive but worth.

Rotate your mattresses.
Old 27 May 2011, 11:48
Authorized Personnel

Ugh I still haven't bought a decent mattress...I need to. The soreness in my lower back is just killing me. I have to roll out of bed sometimes onto the floor and sit there and stretch it out before being able to stand, and leaning over in the morning to turn on the shower sometimes has it just "giving" and almost falling face first into the tub.

I realize 80-something equipment-laden jumps, lifting with my back, not stretching enough has a lot to do with it but now reading all this I'm starting to suspect the bed is a major influencer as well.
Old 27 May 2011, 13:47
BEER+B8CHES=PROFIT?

My last bed (after the initial "new-ness" wore off by 2 yrs) had me crawling onto the floor and sometimes even sleeping on the floor. Ponied up and it paid off. I'm not even 30... there's no reason to have that shit going on.
Old 27 May 2011, 14:45
Confirmed User

I went through 8 different beds in 2 years. Soft, firm. Temper pedic . High end low end I tried them all. I found that the quality of beds now a day’s is just awful. And imo the one sided mattress they all make now is just crap. So I said the hell with it and made my own mattress. I got a piece of plywood. 3 layers of egg crate from wally world. And one layer (1.5 inches) of memory foam from an on line vender. This took about 2 weeks to get used to but I could literally feel my body readjusting itself. So after all the back aches and the loss of sleep. I now sleep like a baby every night.
Old 27 May 2011, 15:07
Been There Done That

Try Bikram Yoga fellas, if after 3X a week two months of that you can't sleep on a regular bed, I'll....

apologize for the suggestion?
Old 11 March 2012, 13:47
BTDT

Alright, time to revive this thread again. In the market with the new house going up, and an upgrade in bed size from queen to king.

Went and laid on a thousand beds yesterday. The only thing HH6 and I were able to determine is we will probably do foam over spring-over-coil. Tempurpedic was nice, but we actually preferred the Serta iComfort. Then another wrench was thrown in the mix with these new(ish) latex mattresses. Pure Bliss Latex has some pretty nice feeling sets, and they have a full 20 yr warranty, versus the prorated.

Does anyone have any input/comparison info on latex vs foam? What about the iComfort? Seem fairly new, and reviews are still pretty mixed.

Our new posting rules