Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 12 January 2018, 18:00
256's Avatar
256 256 is offline
Navigating
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrebel View Post
Use of pain meds is also due to satisfaction scores given to the hospital. It is my understanding that reimbursement from Medicare and Medicaid is directly tied to the satisfaction score given in the surveys.
So..if a patient doesn't think that they received the "appropriate" treatment for their pain, they give a crappy satisfaction score, Medicare and Medicaid reduce the amount of money reimbursed to the facility.
This is absolutely the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 12 January 2018, 18:09
dustyrebel dustyrebel is offline
Ditch Doc
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 461
So how many times do see the frequent fliers, who have a complete understanding of the system, complain......
" I was here yesterday for my ______( fill in the complaint) and I got fentanyl, dilaudid, morphine...and today I only get Toradol....

I see this on an ambulance, with repeat customers, I can't even imagine how bad this is in a hospital.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 12 January 2018, 19:44
CAVmedic CAVmedic is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mid West
Posts: 1,037
Went on my AEMT rides with Firefighters, most of the calls were BS junkies. All with a laundry list of pain symptoms from prior surgeries and a list of what they are allergic to.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 12 January 2018, 20:05
foxcolt13 foxcolt13 is offline
Moving Target
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Need that wall built and drone strikes on the cartels.
Yeah That will be great! I hope for it.
__________________
Lost one to lost three......are you lost too.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 12 January 2018, 21:27
Jakers Jakers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneisel256 View Post
Yeah, I get it. Iím not going to get into an argument about this, Iím new to the site. Iíll say this: Iíve seen doctors plead with people to try different means of treatment. Iíve heard them explain the oath they took as doctors to explain the importance of their treatment. People in general donít give a crap about the docís oath or what it took them to get there, the amount of insurance they have to pay for to cover them when they TRY to save lives, just to get sued when they canít. Again they arenít without sin, we just tried to arrest a doctor for pushing pills, then he shot himself. But thatís the exception to the rule, in my experience.
A doctor in the ER prescribing 3 days worth of oxy because he works in a hospital that hasn't outlawed emergent prescriptions of narcotics in a state without a statewide database of narcotic prescriptions because some jackass decided Press-Ganey and other patient satisfaction surveys actually meant something isn't the problem.

A primary care doc prescribing and permanently reissuing prescriptions for narcotics for chronic pain is a part of the problem but shouldn't be dealt with as a criminal case. Reeducation and suspension of his DEA license maybe...or not, that depends.

The doctors running pill mills under the guise of "pain clinics" who hand out a scrip for anyone with the cash...yep, that's a big part of the problem. To bad your guy didn't off himself years ago.

Sales reps pimping doctors and handing out incentives and free shit for prescribing narcs for any and all pain complaints...big part of the problem.

Pharmaceutical bosses who withheld data that showed that their drugs were HIGHLY addictive, who pumped more and more resources into selling and advertising their drugs for use in situations where they were never intended and then ignoring all red flags for better profits...yep, also the problem. Yet none of those people have been held personally accountable. And likely never will.

I'm all for personable responsibility, and someone who out of the blue decides to try out heroin gets no sympathy from me. But there's a lot of people who got prescribed oxy for a chronic or temporary acute condition who got fucked. Because, hey! It's medicine, a doc gave it to me and I feel better when I take it, so it must be working! Right?

Narcotics have a very limited window of use in medicine and very little use in chronic pain. To late now though.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 12 January 2018, 21:44
JonDW JonDW is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 20
Enforcement

One of the biggest problems facing us with the opoid epidemic is our federal law enforcement model to challenge it is broken. Without typing a paper on this topic, Congress needs to create one, centralized counter-drug agency with wide enforcement power--and no, I'm not talking about the DEA. Basically, between DEA, HHS, FDA, HSI, and FBI, you have an ever present turf battle on these cases, and with varying jurisdictions and agency priorities, many of these cases do not get worked adequately and criminals end up slipping through the cracks.

If anybody wants more on the topic or has questions, please feel free to PM me. I have spent the past 5 years fighting the opoid epidemic.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 13 January 2018, 07:36
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 12,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Need that wall built and drone strikes on the cartels.
Or do what Portugal did, probably save a few wedding party caravans that way.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 14 January 2018, 10:34
Justaclerk's Avatar
Justaclerk Justaclerk is offline
Drawing my cutlass
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 7,603
You forgot fuckbag Congressmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
A doctor in the ER prescribing 3 days worth of oxy because he works in a hospital that hasn't outlawed emergent prescriptions of narcotics in a state without a statewide database of narcotic prescriptions because some jackass decided Press-Ganey and other patient satisfaction surveys actually meant something isn't the problem.

A primary care doc prescribing and permanently reissuing prescriptions for narcotics for chronic pain is a part of the problem but shouldn't be dealt with as a criminal case. Reeducation and suspension of his DEA license maybe...or not, that depends.

The doctors running pill mills under the guise of "pain clinics" who hand out a scrip for anyone with the cash...yep, that's a big part of the problem. To bad your guy didn't off himself years ago.

Sales reps pimping doctors and handing out incentives and free shit for prescribing narcs for any and all pain complaints...big part of the problem.

Pharmaceutical bosses who withheld data that showed that their drugs were HIGHLY addictive, who pumped more and more resources into selling and advertising their drugs for use in situations where they were never intended and then ignoring all red flags for better profits...yep, also the problem. Yet none of those people have been held personally accountable. And likely never will.

I'm all for personable responsibility, and someone who out of the blue decides to try out heroin gets no sympathy from me. But there's a lot of people who got prescribed oxy for a chronic or temporary acute condition who got fucked. Because, hey! It's medicine, a doc gave it to me and I feel better when I take it, so it must be working! Right?

Narcotics have a very limited window of use in medicine and very little use in chronic pain. To late now though.
__________________
Quote:
Death is a farcical pile of bullshit.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 14 January 2018, 13:19
litepath's Avatar
litepath litepath is offline
incurs freedom
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ga.
Posts: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Or do what Portugal did, probably save a few wedding party caravans that way.
No. Sorry! haha. We'll have none of that here. Whether in Big-Biz/Healthcare or .gov, we'll not look and learn from the success of others. We're better than that! /
__________________
Nurture That Which is in Your Nature
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 20 April 2018, 09:42
Jakers Jakers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 251
I can't believe these psychopaths are actually moving forward with this; didn't think even Seattle could actually be this crazy. Will the adults please come home? Please?
http://komonews.com/news/local/seatt...injection-site

Hey everyone! Let's open up a city sponsored shooting gallery to assuage our liberal guilt and to allow ourselves to tell everyone that we are helping...when in fact we are just making the problem worse.

Vancouver BC did this years ago...and it's a utter failure. Didn't help with the number of deaths from OD's, sure as hell hasn't helped with the rate of addiction and turned the area around it into an open air drug market and hooker haven. Somehow I don't think anything different will be happening here; especially as it already is for some parts of the city and populace.

I hate people. Create some program to "help" by only focusing on the visible symptoms of the problem (because those are the easiest to fix and...you know...visible to the public) but ignore the root cause and avoid any effort that will have lasting change because those things are 1) very hard and 2) will have low success rates. Even though those who are successful will be truly successful.

Maybe one day people up there will finally realize that it is very true that you should be careful what you wish for. And who you vote for.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 20 April 2018, 09:45
Agoge's Avatar
Agoge Agoge is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vagabond
Posts: 6,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakers View Post
I can't believe these psychopaths are actually moving forward with this; didn't think even Seattle could actually be this crazy. Will the adults please come home? Please?
http://komonews.com/news/local/seatt...injection-site

Hey everyone! Let's open up a city sponsored shooting gallery to assuage our liberal guilt and to allow ourselves to tell everyone that we are helping...when in fact we are just making the problem worse.

Vancouver BC did this years ago...and it's a utter failure. Didn't help with the number of deaths from OD's, sure as hell hasn't helped with the rate of addiction and turned the area around it into an open air drug market and hooker haven. Somehow I don't think anything different will be happening here; especially as it already is for some parts of the city and populace.

I hate people. Create some program to "help" by only focusing on the visible symptoms of the problem (because those are the easiest to fix and...you know...visible to the public) but ignore the root cause and avoid any effort that will have lasting change because those things are 1) very hard and 2) will have low success rates. Even though those who are successful will be truly successful.

Maybe one day people up there will finally realize that it is very true that you should be careful what you wish for. And who you vote for.
People are fascinated with zombies so the government is going to give them what they want.

Where is all the free alcohol for the alcoholics?

Oh well, this is what we have become now....
__________________
In order to improve society, we have to call things as they are and deal with them accordingly!
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 20 April 2018, 10:10
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,903
China is laughing their asses off.... they don't forget. "Now you Americans know what it is like"!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 20 April 2018, 16:09
1RiserSlip's Avatar
1RiserSlip 1RiserSlip is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: W. Slope of Big Sewell Mtn.
Posts: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
China is laughing their asses off.... they don't forget. "Now you Americans know what it is like"!
China is helping us kill ourselves. Shipping their poison, unregulated, to anyone with an IP address.
Putting lead in our children's toys and selling their fake, look alike stuff like cosmetics that test positive for feces.
__________________
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 13:53.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET