Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 January 2018, 18:19

As far as the ones who are charged, based on the details HERE it sounds like the McCain skipper is truly fucked

"In particular, McCain's commanding officer disregarded recommendations from his executive officer, navigator and senior watch officer to set sea and anchor watch teams in a timely fashion to ensure the safe and effective operation of the ship. With regard to procedures, no one on the Bridge watch team, to include the commanding officer and executive officer, were properly trained on how to correctly operate the ship control console during a steering casualty."

There was no steering casualty and it goes on and on. You can read the Navy's actual report on both incidents HERE. Especially in the case of the McCain it is not a pleasant read.
Old 18 January 2018, 09:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
....and, more importantly, leadership failed to adhere to well-established protocols put in place to prevent collisions.
Quote:
With regard to procedures, no one on the Bridge watch team, to include the commanding officer and executive officer, were properly trained on how to correctly operate the ship control console during a steering casualty."
How the fuck are they permitted to serve in those capacities without the required knowledge to operate the ship?

Blame for this has to go above the COs ...

Quote:
8.1 Training
FITZGERALD officers possessed an unsatisfactory level of knowledge of the International
Rules of the Nautical Road.

Watch team members were not familiar with basic radar fundamentals, impeding effective
use.
8.2 Seamanship and Navigation
The Officer of the Deck and bridge team failed to comply with the International Rules of the
Nautical Road. Specifically:
FITZGERALD was not operated at a safe speed appropriate to the number of other
ships in the immediate vicinity.
FITZGERALD failed to maneuver early as required with risk of collision present.
FITZGERALD failed to notify other ships of danger and to take proper action in
extremis.
Watch team members responsible for radar operations failed to properly tune and adjust
radars to maintain an accurate picture of other ships in the area.
Watchstanders performing physical look out duties did so only on FITZGERALD’s left
(port) side, not on the right (starboard) side where the three ships were present with risk of
collision.
Key supervisors responsible for maintaining the navigation track and position of other ships:
Were unaware of existing traffic separation schemes and the expected flow of traffic.
Did not utilize the Automated Identification System. This system provides real time
updates of commercial ship positions through use of the Global Positioning System.
FITZGERALD’s approved navigation track did not account for, nor follow, the Vessel
Traffic Separation Schemes in the area.
Old 18 January 2018, 20:04

I'm no expert on US Naval history and may be wrong, but I believe never in history has the US Navy charged one of its ship commanders with negligent homicide.

They have already relieved or forced into retirement the two COs, the squadron commander, the Seventh Fleet Commander, and if I'm not mistaken the Commander of the entire Pacific Fleet.

I guess they want to go the extra distance here.
Old 18 January 2018, 22:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
How the fuck are they permitted to serve in those capacities without the required knowledge to operate the ship?

Blame for this has to go above the COs ...
But I guarantee they all completed their online sexual harassment training and they had 100% CFC Contributions. This is really f'd up.
Old 19 January 2018, 08:30
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojok View Post
I'm no expert on US Naval history and may be wrong, but I believe never in history has the US Navy charged one of its ship commanders with negligent homicide.

They have already relieved or forced into retirement the two COs, the squadron commander, the Seventh Fleet Commander, and if I'm not mistaken the Commander of the entire Pacific Fleet.

I want to see some hard time handed down. Strip them of their pensions if they get one.
Time to set some examples.

It is a privilege to lead.
Old 19 January 2018, 08:58
Confirmed User

Quote:

Forced into retirement while the CO's get criminal charges is nothing more than a continued protection for the Flag officers. 4 ship accidents and multiple deaths on your watch? You still get your pension and get to sleep in late on Monday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I want to see some hard time handed down. Strip them of their pensions if they get one.
Time to set some examples.

It is a privilege to lead.
Indeed.
Old 19 January 2018, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Forced into retirement while the CO's get criminal charges is nothing more than a continued protection for the Flag officers.
That it is.
Old 19 January 2018, 14:29
Old and Grumpy

Quote:

It just wasn't the ship accidents, I think the whole Fat Leonard scandal had a lot to do with it as far as the Pacific Fleet and Seventh Fleet Admirals getting canned.
Old 19 January 2018, 21:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
It just wasn't the ship accidents, I think the whole Fat Leonard scandal had a lot to do with it as far as the Pacific Fleet and Seventh Fleet Admirals getting canned.
Seventh Fleet was purely a symbolic reaction to the accidents. The guy was literally less than two weeks away from retiring when he was canned. I agree about PACFLT, though. Too many things dropped on his watch for them to promote him to PACOM.
Old 20 January 2018, 13:02
Confirmed User

VADM Rowden is officially out. This means the whole chain of command from the ship to the head of surface forces has been replaced (to varying degrees of discipline).

https://news.usni.org/2018/01/16/swo...ald-collisions
Old 8 May 2018, 05:38
Been There Done That

So, the Navy finally is revealing details of the crash via findings from the various Article 32 investigations.

This is really bad. How could they cross the bow of another vessel at 650 yards and not call the CO? If the OOD and TAO were this incompetent, the CO needs to hang given the fatal consequences of his poor leadership.

Quote:
Lt. j.g. Sarah Coppock was the officer of the deck, or OOD, early on June 17, when the Fitz was steaming off Japan, according to a charge sheet released by the service.

She will face a special court-martial Tuesday in Washington and is charged with dereliction in the performance of duties through neglect resulting in death, according to the charge sheet.

As OOD, Coppock oversaw ship navigation when the commanding officer was not present.

She is accused of failing to comply with the commanding officer’s standing orders, as well as international water navigation rules.

It was Coppock’s duty to communicate with the ship’s combat information center, report ship contacts to the skipper, operate safely in high-density traffic and “alert crew of imminent collisions,” the charge sheet states.

While the Navy has refused to make public any of its investigations into the disaster, a review released last fall found the OOD didn’t attempt to contact the commercial ACX Crystal ship via radio, nor did she attempt to maneuver to avoid the Crystal until a minute before the collision.

At one point, the Fitz crossed the bow of an oncoming merchant ship at a range of less than 650 yards — fewer than four ship lengths — and the OOD never informed the captain, a violation of standing orders that require the skipper to be summoned to oversee hazardous conditions.

On Wednesday, two Navy lieutenants will face Article 32 proceedings for their roles in the Fitz collision.

One, a woman whose name was redacted in the charge sheet provided by the Navy, was serving as the tactical action officer at the time.

Known as a TAO, the officer is responsible for the weapons, propulsion and sensors while the captain is away, and has the authority to maneuver.

She was derelict by failing to communicate with the bridge regarding safe speed and maneuvering recommendations, while failing to enforce efficient watch standing in the combat information center, which handles weapons systems and radar, according to the charge sheet.

Last year’s review found watch standers in the center failed to “tune and adjust their radar to maintain an accurate picture of other ships in the area.”

An unidentified male lieutenant faces the same charges as the unidentified female lieutenant.

He was serving as the surface warfare coordinator in the combat information center and is accused of failing to provide recommendations to the TAO and the bridge, while failing to stand his assigned station or ensure proper watch standing was carried out, according to the charge sheet.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Our new posting rules