SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 December 2017, 17:16
Administrator

Aint no way in hell I would have one of those things in my house.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 December 2017, 17:17
As Above So Below

Yes...the are listening all the time

Gray Rhino...your post

https://www.shellypalmer.com/2017/01...ngerous-alexa/

“Alexa” (the default), “Amazon” or “Echo.” Unless you turn off the microphones (the Echo has seven) and use a mechanical button or remote control to activate its capabilities, Alexa Voice Service, the system that powers the Echo and Alexa, and other IVCSs are always listening for their wake word.

In Amazon’s case, it keeps approximately 60 seconds of audio in memory for pre-processing so the responses can be situationally aware and “instant.” Amazon says the listening is done locally, on the device, not in the cloud. So technically, the audio does not leave the premises.
Old 21 December 2017, 17:26
Authorized Personnel

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiretap.jpg (30.5 KB, 154 views)
Old 21 December 2017, 17:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhea View Post
Gray Rhino...your post

“Alexa” (the default), “Amazon” or “Echo.” Unless you turn off the microphones (the Echo has seven) and use a mechanical button or remote control to activate its capabilities, Alexa Voice Service, the system that powers the Echo and Alexa, and other IVCSs are always listening for their wake word.

In Amazon’s case, it keeps approximately 60 seconds of audio in memory for pre-processing so the responses can be situationally aware and “instant.” Amazon says the listening is done locally, on the device, not in the cloud. So technically, the audio does not leave the premises.
And if I told you wolverines make good house pets???
Old 21 December 2017, 18:07
Sound off for equipment check!

I like to watch YouTube shorts about historical stuff, so I'm used to it "predicting" what I might want to see. Watch a short about the Mayflower, and a list of related stuff pops up.

This morning I had a Comcast tech out to relocate my modem to a more central location, because an extender wasn't picking up a decent signal 30' away. He got it to work and briefly tried to explain the difference between strengths of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. I told him to move the modem and be done with it.

About an hour after he left I decided to get on YouTube and look up something historical, and waiting in queu, full screen, is a damn tutorial video explaining the dual wifi bands of 2.4 and 5 GHz. I have never looked at a video remotely related to the subject, and to the best of my recollection the subject has never been discussed in my house until earlier today.

Pardon my new-found paranoia, but this pisses me off. Either my TV or my iPhone is bugged...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 21 December 2017, 18:17
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Same here.

Somewhere on this board there is a post about a couple that had one of those listenibg things and after a heated verbal discussion, the next time someone said hey listening thing, it recommended marriage counseling or some shit.

Are we being spied on, yes. Is it up to us to keep that from happening, yes.
Old 21 December 2017, 18:27
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
x1000

I was at an OSINT course last year and the briefer was showing the vulnerability of the Internet of Things...found a house via Shodan that had a Smart Home, but failed to set a password/security on his system. It was like we were looking at his cell phone..."so, let's see if anyone is home...Lights off...wait about 20 seconds...Lights came back on....now lets just fuck with him...Lights off! Great fun...and eye opening.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 21 December 2017, 18:28
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
I like to watch YouTube shorts about historical stuff, so I'm used to it "predicting" what I might want to see. Watch a short about the Mayflower, and a list of related stuff pops up.

This morning I had a Comcast tech out to relocate my modem to a more central location, because an extender wasn't picking up a decent signal 30' away. He got it to work and briefly tried to explain the difference between strengths of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. I told him to move the modem and be done with it.

About an hour after he left I decided to get on YouTube and look up something historical, and waiting in queu, full screen, is a damn tutorial video explaining the dual wifi bands of 2.4 and 5 GHz. I have never looked at a video remotely related to the subject, and to the best of my recollection the subject has never been discussed in my house until earlier today.

Pardon my new-found paranoia, but this pisses me off. Either my TV or my iPhone is bugged...
Do you have Facebook or Google Apps on your phone?
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 21 December 2017, 18:30
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Gray Rhino...your post

The take from these devices has been used in 1 or 2 court cases...so yeah, no thanks...
Old 21 December 2017, 18:32

There is a reddit sub devoted to unsecured home video cams/nanny cams/etc. Where people can go watch these unsecured cams without the owners knowing.
Old 21 December 2017, 18:38
Been There Done That

Nobody should have any piece of the IoT in their household, period.
19 Oct 2017
Old 21 December 2017, 19:30
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Do you have Facebook or Google Apps on your phone?
Both. They must be linked to YouTube "for a more enhanced viewing experience."

Neither app was open, but...
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 21 December 2017, 19:50
killjoy

Quote:
Gray Rhino...your post

No, not really.

A court case not long ago sought the recordings made by the Echo against a suspect on trial for murder. The police involvement took place much longer than 60 seconds after the murder took place.
Old 21 December 2017, 20:07
Administrator

Quote:
The take from these devices has been used in 1 or 2 court cases...so yeah, no thanks...
Exactly.
Old 21 December 2017, 20:15
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Bingo. My ex’s parents are both San Jose tech people, always have the latest and greatest. They had one last year for Christmas and I brought up the fact that the devise was passively collecting. Everyone looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead.
Old 21 December 2017, 22:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Either my TV or my iPhone is bugged...

Both TV and Phone are bugged. Oh and do not forget your computer camera and mic, IPADS, OnStar for auto's,

Last edited by DB8541; 21 December 2017 at 23:07.
Old 21 December 2017, 23:10
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
Both TV and Phone are bugged. Oh and do not forget your computer camera and mic.
It's not quite that bad, for instance, if he doesn't have a smart TV, there is no need to worry about that. BUT, both Google and Facebook have ridiculous data collection permissions...which are very invasive...but we (including me) click OK because they are valuable tools to us. I draw the line at apps on phone, as the permissions are too invasive...since my phone knows where I am at all times...assuming my phone is with me.

If NSA wants to collect on me, they have some hoops to go through...if Google wants to collect on me...I just have to click OK to their app. (Cross Thread points?)

Also, never Login using Facebook. https://developers.facebook.com/docs...sions/overview

Last edited by Purple36; 21 December 2017 at 23:23.
Old 21 December 2017, 23:15
Administrator

I think the fact the NSA has ignored any hoops has been already established.
Old 21 December 2017, 23:24
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
Both TV and Phone are bugged. Oh and do not forget your computer camera and mic, IPADS, OnStar for auto's,
Don’t forget rental cars...
Old 21 December 2017, 23:25
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I think the fact the NSA has ignored any hoops has been already established.
Do you work there?

We will disagree on some of this...but I'm with you on privacy rights.

Our new posting rules