SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 21 December 2017, 22:08
Time is a flat circle

Some solid advice for the newly commissioned in this thread.

RGR Montcalm, as always, you have great insight.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 21 December 2017, 22:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I had this almost exact talk with my son (Junior at UVA ROTC), almost verbatim...solid advice.
We had the same teachers- that's why...long before they were in the RHOF or one existed...
Old 21 December 2017, 22:55
Been There Done That

You guys are going to turn this 2LT into the most legendary SJW in the history of the Armed Forces who will one day ensure the dominion of transvestism and other assorted degeneracies over all of us.
19 Oct 2017
Old 21 December 2017, 23:05

Normally, I wouldn't reply to this sort of thing, but considering there's a non-zero chance that this lieutenant might one day be my commander, I feel compelled to weigh in.

Sir, your type of self-inflation is entirely too common among young servicemembers, both enlisted and commissioned alike. I see it all too frequently: SM gets to participate in a range run by 18 series guys then tells peers, juniors, family, and friends that they are an SF trained hunter-killer. While this lack of integrity is merely irritating when it's going on at every gun shop/ civilian range ever, you're no longer just BS-ing with buddies who don't know any better- you're an officer in the United States Army. There are also a few dangers to guys like me when leaders like you fail to have integrity.

The first is that this sort of painfully obvious misrepresentation of your service shatters the fundamental trust any soldier, let alone an infantryman, should be able to place in his or her leadership. If anything, we should be worried about you being excessively honest, not worried that we're supporting characters in a self-aggrandizing fantasy that prioritizes your ego over the mission and the well-being of your subordinates. Anyone exposed to the SOF world even as tangentially as you were would know that the Rangers at your CTLT certainly didn't tell you, "Hey man, allude to what you learned here to edify yourself at IBOLC to a bunch of 2LTs, that's what we want you to take away from this".

The lack of integrity you've demonstrated also indicates you are well on your way to developing into the sort of leader that reflexively lies about his own mistakes because they don't align with his own self-image, further shattering the trust your subordinates should be able to place one you. As stated above, NCOs like myself will default to taking care of our soldiers when faced with a leader we can't trust. Flowery words aside, if I can't trust you to tell the truth about your WP war stories, I won't be able to trust you when it matters.

Another danger of your behavior is that naive or lazy leadership may believe your outlandish claims and place you in a position based upon your purported wealth of knowledge, at which point your exaggerations will become evident- hopefully before you fail a mission and the soldiers you should be leading. This list is by no means comprehensive, but I hope it makes you think about something besides rebuttal

Because of your past behavior making experiential mountains from molehills, I suspect that right now you are considering calling this thread a "professional development course from a CJSOTF" the next time you find an uninformed ear. I'd advise against that-I think you'll find it's a much smaller military than you think and you consider that your reputation may very well precede you, both in training and permanent assignments.

Sir, you can't un-ring this bell, but you can own your mistake instead of quibbling about what a misunderstanding this all is and move out with as much integrity as you can muster from this point on. I'm not being melodramatic when I say that one day men's lives may depend on you being able to separate your ego from your actions as a leader. If you don't possess it innately, don't worry- integrity is a choice you can make.
Old 22 December 2017, 07:45
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjb View Post
The lack of integrity you've demonstrated also indicates you are well on your way to developing into the sort of leader that reflexively lies about his own mistakes because they don't align with his own self-image,
Great post!

From my experience, generally there always seemed to be two types of officers...
1.) The kind you mention above, that we labeled "political ring-knockers" whose entire goal each day was to feather their own political nest, and collect "personal coins" from as many +0-7's as they could...convinced that they deserved that "coin" because of their "great leadership" instead of the hard work of their men. Always happy to wave it around. Sadly, they did seem to thrive in the units I was attached to. It takes a "politician" to make O-7. Perhaps the young 2LT is well on his way?

2.) The officers with integrity who care more about an honorable reputation. They want the "bad news" and "straight scoop" so they can do something about it ASAP, instead of sweeping shit under the carpet. They don't want an entourage of ass-kissers following them around and stroking their ego. The take care of their men with REAL leadership, and because of this seem to retire at maybe O-6. But they are REAL leaders and inspire a lifetime of trust and loyalty from their men. And can always look themselves and others directly in the eye, with no excuses.
Old 22 December 2017, 08:34
Awaiting the Terrologist?

This post is worth the read simply for the amount of wisdom that has been shared.

A lot of us here can learn a great deal from the words within, whether regardless of which end of our life we may be at.

I for one am humbled yet again ... I hope some others are.

Cheers,

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 22 December 2017, 09:07
Confirmed User

I strongly believe that no matter what path od life you walk, honor integrity honesty and humility should be your guiding light.
Nobody's perfect but if a person is able to admit guilt AND make permanent amends, every wrong path or misstep we take actually serves its purpose - to teach us something. Best thing that happened to me in my life was every error I made.
Old 22 December 2017, 09:39
In Vino Veritas

Damn, now we even have people from other countries commenting on how fucked up this kid is. Not Ralph Hall level, or (LMAO) that fat kid with the SEAL log, but we’re getting there.

And I thought there wasn’t going to be any Christmas cheer, shame on me.
Old 22 December 2017, 09:45
BTDT

good advice in this thread - but there is something that I learned as a common observation during a career in the Army - those who need advice the most, are usually far too "smart" to accept advice

...more often than not
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 22 December 2017, 10:38
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Starlight View Post
This post is worth the read simply for the amount of wisdom that has been shared.

A lot of us here can learn a great deal from the words within, whether regardless of which end of our life we may be at.

I for one am humbled yet again ... I hope some others are.

Cheers,
x1000. Once again just reiterates the right way to do things and what makes the profession of arms such an honorable one.
Thanks gentlemen for reinforcing such important values.
Old 22 December 2017, 11:00
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRedClover View Post
As far as everyone's responses, I never claimed to be anything I am not and take what Shaw said in the context that the claims he made against me were false (as he never asked me to clarify anything and decided to go online anyways).

First..."Anyways" ain't a fucking word, SIR. You want to be treated like a man and a commissioned Officer, start speaking and acting like one. That one word alone makes me want to punch you in the throat.

Second, the above statement is bullshit. We have all seen enough of it over the years to not doubt Shaw's words for a second. I seriously doubt he just made that all up and created this thread because he had nothing better to do. So you killed a bunch of people, huh? Give me a fucking break.

The problem is....You have been allowed to do far too much "cool" stuff that you have done absolutely nothing to earn. That caused a couple of things to happen. 1) As is typical of your age and generation, you don't see those opportunities as you being very very fortunate. You think you are just that goddamned special. 2) You are now using those opportunities that you were given without earning them to self-promote yourself among your peers at IOBLC.

So I am going to give you some more unsolicited advice, Junior.

#1: You aren't special. The only people who give a rats furry little ass about your WP ring, are other people who wear WP rings. For everyone else it just gets an eye roll and wondering how long it will take to get you unfucked and over yourself so that you are actually of some small value to your Platoon. The absolute best thing you could do for yourself is to put that WP shit behind you and start trying to learn some humility.

#2: You are probably plotting your revenge against Lt. Shaw. The reality is that you should probably go find him and thank him for exposing something that would have eventually wrecked you. And trust me, it would have. You need to go take a long look in the mirror, Junior. You caused this. Not Shaw. Rather than trying to be the Grey Man, you sought the spotlight by trying to convince your peers that you are somehow special. So, welcome to the spotlight. You made it.

#3: You have no idea about the depth and breadth of experience of the people on this board. Some of the people posting in this thread you probably read about at WP. There are people here who could make one call to IOBLC and have you working in a fucking motor pool by sundown. Don't believe it, use the search button or just ask around.

#4: If you don't like what happened in this thread, learn how to shut the fuck up. You are a 2LT. Nobody gives a fuck what you think. No really. They really don't. You and your ego caused this, not Shaw. And then you threaten to SUE him? Have you lost your fucking mind, kid? If I find out that anything negative happened to Shaw because of you and your mouth I will make you my fucking hobby. Maybe you should do the RIGHT thing and admit to yourself that this is YOUR fault. Apologize to your peers for being a douche, especially Shaw, buy a round of beers and learn from your fuckup.

If you are man enough, and mature enough, to learn from this and stop blaming other people, you might actually someday develop into a good Officer that someone actually wants to work for. If not, well those things have a way of taking care of themselves. Your NCO's will make sure of it.

Your choice. Sir.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 22 December 2017, 11:07
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
good advice in this thread - but there is something that I learned as a common observation during a career in the Army - those who need advice the most, are usually far too "smart" to accept advice

...more often than not
Exhibit "A" ~ Millennial West Pointers

ETA: LT, I'm adding this light reading for you... call it a bit of Officer Professional Development. You're going to be an Infantry officer, you'd better be able to understand the suck, in addition to embracing it. Accordingly, you need to read and above all understand wht the underlying messages are in the linked short story.

Remember that thin skin combined with a lack of a BHG / mouth filter will never get you ahead when you're about to descent into a Man's World of tried and true snake eaters. The kids you'll be leading aren't the kids, you are. Why? They've seen and faced the Elephant, some of them many, many times. You're a greenhorn with a problem of inflating your CV based on nothing of any real substance.

Also, you'd best, for your own good, listen to what the BTDT personnel on this thread have been advising; they know, they are in positions of trust and responsibility (read - POWER) and are barely restrained from unleashing on you in ways you're unprepared to even contemplate.

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors, thank you for your service and congrats on your WP graduation, and Merry Christmas.

LTC (RET) Czar

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 22 December 2017 at 11:24.
Old 22 December 2017, 11:22
Unemployed Stunt Double

Well, I hadn't read this thread for a few days, and it went all pear-shaped and got interesting...

SGM(R) Tyrone Adderly is one of the finest soldiers our Nation has ever produced, and I was extremely fortunate to have worked with him. One cold and dreary day I heard him say the following to a confused young Army officer: "If you think like a victim, you will be a victim."
Old 22 December 2017, 11:57
Been There Done That

Great thread for our younger Officers and Enlisteds to learn some humility. Excellent examples of how to deliver a world class ass-chewing abound. Also, if you're paying attention, how to successfully move-on from same.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 22 December 2017, 11:59
Authorized Personnel

Sage advice being given 2LT aka Butter-bar; NCO Squid slang for our equivalent rank otherwise known as Ensigns or Enswines. Ive been on this board most of your life now. These are the men you want to aspire to who are giving you this sound advice.

Oh, I’ve personally witnessed the demise of a JO because he consistently disregarded the advice and knowledge being given by his senior NCOs and received shitty FITREPs and as a result was bounced out.

Food for thought.... Have a safe and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Thanks for your service. And please do not underestimate the long arm of SOCNET.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Been around the world and found
That only stupid people are breeding
The cretins cloning and feeding
And I don't even own a tv
Old 22 December 2017, 12:10
In Vino Veritas

LAMO. Even MY ass hurts after Sharky’s post. Damn. Just... damn.
Old 22 December 2017, 12:26
Authorized Personnel

One of the key signs of "maturity" and "leadership qualities" is the ability to learn from correction and then be able to pass that learning on. Often, those corrections are painful to one's pride and/or ego. But, the mature professional puts those feelings aside and learns from the advice given.

The choice is yours! Make the correct one and drive on....
Old 22 December 2017, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
LAMO. Even MY ass hurts after Sharky’s post. Damn. Just... damn.
Remind me not to tell anyone here how great I am!!!

Interesting posts but I doubt you will see him on here anymore. If he does read any of this stuff and pays attention to the advice I am sure it will make him more successful and have a more even keel career. I certainly hope he does.
Old 22 December 2017, 12:41
Confirmed User

RubyRedClover, I'd strongly suggest you follow up with the group here. The other COA is they follow up for themselves. Even you should be able to tell which option is preferable.

Having walked your path before, you haven't done anything real and won't for a while. We're put in front of platoons to lead, learn, and grow. No one cares about what you've done- they care about what you're going to do for THEM and if you'll execute your missions well. More importantly, one day you'll realize that if you do something worthy, the deed will speak for itself.

Until then, get rucking.
Old 22 December 2017, 12:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Interesting posts but I doubt you will see him on here anymore.
It would be refreshing to see such a person man up, come back, accept the wisdom plus obligatory ass-chewing and move forward, strengthened.

Our new posting rules