SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10 January 2018, 15:01
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
After I completed my MBA in '07 I considered getting my PhD. The only school with the program I needed was Vanderbilt. The interviewer told me I wasn't 'diverse' enough to even be considered.
Saw the same thing happen in Germany after the reunification.

Plenty of highly qualified people were being let go from jobs and pushed out of line in academia to make way for the east German mouthbreathers.

Fuck that.
__________________
“Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10 January 2018, 16:01
EchoFiveMike's Avatar
EchoFiveMike EchoFiveMike is offline
Make a desert and call it peace.
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: back home, IVO chicago
Posts: 8,257
I'm sure the fact that the new trash work cheaper and are more desperate and servile is only a pure coincidence. S/F....Ken M
__________________
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10 January 2018, 17:27
Look. Don'tTouch. Look. Don'tTouch. is offline
killjoy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West
Posts: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
After I completed my MBA in '07 I considered getting my PhD. The only school with the program I needed was Vanderbilt. The interviewer told me I wasn't 'diverse' enough to even be considered.
If you are white, then I would reply to them that you are, in fact, the most diverse race on earth.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10 January 2018, 18:27
ET1/ss nuke's Avatar
ET1/ss nuke ET1/ss nuke is offline
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: sc
Posts: 5,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I'm sure the fact that the new trash work cheaper and are more desperate and servile is only a pure coincidence. S/F....Ken M
Only at first. Eventually they figure out that they are special enough that they can get away with being just the opposite. The people who always wind up being hurt the worst by quota systems are the people who meet the criteria for being a quota hire but instead are extraordinarily talented, hardworking, and honest. They suffer because people assume they are an affirmative action hire and don't take them seriously, while the quota hires make fun of them for trying so hard.
__________________
"I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Twain

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10 January 2018, 20:56
ricardo's Avatar
ricardo ricardo is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
The people who always wind up being hurt the worst by quota systems are the people who meet the criteria for being a quota hire but instead are extraordinarily talented, hardworking, and honest. They suffer because people assume they are an affirmative action hire and don't take them seriously, while the quota hires make fun of them for trying so hard.
There is some truth right there
__________________
"Having big muscles and no strength is the training equivalent of wearing a strap-on" JW
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10 January 2018, 22:35
DirtyDog0311 DirtyDog0311 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South
Posts: 7,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Only at first. Eventually they figure out that they are special enough that they can get away with being just the opposite. The people who always wind up being hurt the worst by quota systems are the people who meet the criteria for being a quota hire but instead are extraordinarily talented, hardworking, and honest. They suffer because people assume they are an affirmative action hire and don't take them seriously, while the quota hires make fun of them for trying so hard.
Nah. I'm pretty sure it's more like what E5M just said. Anyone clearly proving themselves capable are immediately thought of as such.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11 January 2018, 23:34
Gryfen-FL Gryfen-FL is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: east coast
Posts: 3,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You got it easy, try saying some of the shit I say...
You get away with everything short of murder.

Even that. ...I'd bet you'd be aquitted.
__________________
Quote:
Since it was Virginia, did they go ahead and write a traffic ticket to the corpse when they were done?

Last edited by Gryfen-FL; 11 January 2018 at 23:35. Reason: Damn aurocorrect
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16 January 2018, 19:56
pavegnr's Avatar
pavegnr pavegnr is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: bama
Posts: 924
Google went on the defense when they were ask about hiring immigrants that were here illegally since they were one of he companies complaining about immigration policies.
They also talked about how selective the top five colleges were about their entry into their facility. They were hitting on Harvard, Yale and a few more.
__________________
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 16 January 2018, 20:39
Sharkcity Sharkcity is offline
On the Extract Bird
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Nah. I'm pretty sure it's more like what E5M just said. Anyone clearly proving themselves capable are immediately thought of as such.
Ehh, ish. Someone can be capable of a lot of things but not fit the part. So I agree but I have to disagree to an extent and say that capability and proper placement probably fight each other in the decision making process. If you're more qualified than I am, we're both capable but you'll most likely get hired over me due to my lack of capability as opposed to yours. Which places you above me and where we both wanted to be.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018