SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 10 January 2018, 15:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
After I completed my MBA in '07 I considered getting my PhD. The only school with the program I needed was Vanderbilt. The interviewer told me I wasn't 'diverse' enough to even be considered.
Saw the same thing happen in Germany after the reunification.

Plenty of highly qualified people were being let go from jobs and pushed out of line in academia to make way for the east German mouthbreathers.

Fuck that.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 10 January 2018, 16:01
Make a desert and call it peace.

I'm sure the fact that the new trash work cheaper and are more desperate and servile is only a pure coincidence. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith
Old 10 January 2018, 17:27
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketKings View Post
After I completed my MBA in '07 I considered getting my PhD. The only school with the program I needed was Vanderbilt. The interviewer told me I wasn't 'diverse' enough to even be considered.
If you are white, then I would reply to them that you are, in fact, the most diverse race on earth.
Old 10 January 2018, 18:27
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
I'm sure the fact that the new trash work cheaper and are more desperate and servile is only a pure coincidence. S/F....Ken M
Only at first. Eventually they figure out that they are special enough that they can get away with being just the opposite. The people who always wind up being hurt the worst by quota systems are the people who meet the criteria for being a quota hire but instead are extraordinarily talented, hardworking, and honest. They suffer because people assume they are an affirmative action hire and don't take them seriously, while the quota hires make fun of them for trying so hard.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 10 January 2018, 20:56
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
The people who always wind up being hurt the worst by quota systems are the people who meet the criteria for being a quota hire but instead are extraordinarily talented, hardworking, and honest. They suffer because people assume they are an affirmative action hire and don't take them seriously, while the quota hires make fun of them for trying so hard.
There is some truth right there
Old 10 January 2018, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Only at first. Eventually they figure out that they are special enough that they can get away with being just the opposite. The people who always wind up being hurt the worst by quota systems are the people who meet the criteria for being a quota hire but instead are extraordinarily talented, hardworking, and honest. They suffer because people assume they are an affirmative action hire and don't take them seriously, while the quota hires make fun of them for trying so hard.
Nah. I'm pretty sure it's more like what E5M just said. Anyone clearly proving themselves capable are immediately thought of as such.
Old 11 January 2018, 23:34
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You got it easy, try saying some of the shit I say...
You get away with everything short of murder.

Even that. ...I'd bet you'd be aquitted.

Last edited by Gryfen-FL; 11 January 2018 at 23:35. Reason: Damn aurocorrect
Old 16 January 2018, 19:56
Been There Done That

Google went on the defense when they were ask about hiring immigrants that were here illegally since they were one of he companies complaining about immigration policies.
They also talked about how selective the top five colleges were about their entry into their facility. They were hitting on Harvard, Yale and a few more.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 16 January 2018, 20:39
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Nah. I'm pretty sure it's more like what E5M just said. Anyone clearly proving themselves capable are immediately thought of as such.
Ehh, ish. Someone can be capable of a lot of things but not fit the part. So I agree but I have to disagree to an extent and say that capability and proper placement probably fight each other in the decision making process. If you're more qualified than I am, we're both capable but you'll most likely get hired over me due to my lack of capability as opposed to yours. Which places you above me and where we both wanted to be.

Our new posting rules