SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 June 2011, 06:05
Morte et une dame

I had my left side done when i was seventeen; piece of cake.
I'm not gonna B.S. you...
I had my right side done at about fifty; I thought someone had shot me with my 1911.
Healing at fifty was different than at seventeen, but they both healed up just fine.
You'll never 'look back' at getting the repair; do it.
Old 13 June 2011, 01:31
Confirmed User

Just had it done last year....... All great points in this thread. The most important thing you can do is #1) get second and third opinions #2) and once you have narrowed down your surgeon get a couple of recommendations from someone else in the medical field. Whether it be your primary care physician, or someone whom works with your soon to be surgeon in the same hospital. I had to find out the hard way. Wife’s a nurse whom asked her primary care physician if he would let my surgeon whom repaired my hernia work on his family. He did not comment, plead the fifth. That was after the fact. (Long story) I had the surgery; the first week was a bitch. They prescribed me a different pain med the end of that week and it was smooth sailing after that. I was back at work the next week light duty. I have quarterly P.T. tests for my employer and skipped the first one, but have not had any complications since. Just a little tenderness every now and then. GET IT DONE……..
Old 19 July 2011, 21:20

I'm 6 months shy of 50 and just had mine repaired this morning. I waited too long. Big incision but I'm dealing with the pain pretty well without meds so far. Ill see how it feels in the morning. Get a second or third opinion. Mine was pretty big and my doc said ill be good as new.
Old 19 July 2011, 21:34
Administrator

So here we are with this thread almost 2 years old. No one post until we here from our boy Utter. So Utter, what is the outcome? PM sent as a reminder.
Old 20 July 2011, 10:20
Confirmed User

I apologize to all for letting this thread dangle. No surgery yet. I had originally scheduled for last December (2010). That was put off due to a change in insurance provider. My business then relocated. Typically my business slows towards the holidays and I am going to again schedule for that time period. Now that the move is done it is just a matter of picking a time that will not conflict with work. Having to constantly push it back in is annoying. It reduces easily so I don't see it becoming emergent.
Old 20 July 2011, 13:20
Sound off for equipment check!

Yer skeered, aincha?
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 20 July 2011, 15:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
Yer skeered, aincha?
I dont care for anesthesia so there is probably an element of truth to that.

Really just the inconvenience of multiple trips to the doc, at inconvenient times, on top of at least a days worth of lost productivity. Self employment has its drawbacks. I did not take any vacation time this year either. The last time I had a medical procedure done, I was back typing papers from home before the meds wore off. I can foresee a month coming this fall where I have very little going on-- and at that point will try to squeeze in with the surgeon.

Besides, it makes a loud squishing noise when I push it back in, which kinda grosses my wife out.
Old 19 December 2011, 19:09
Confirmed User

Status update: Looks like its going to be February. Wife is expecting a new crumb snatcher and we needed to keep everything in the same year to maximize use of deductibles--which pushed us into 2012.
Old 19 December 2011, 20:01
BTDT

You realize that you're running out of excuses right?

Tax out

Pleasing everybody? Impossible. Pissing everybody off? Piece of cake.
Old 19 December 2011, 20:02
Administrator

Dude, don't wait any longer - you are setting yourself up for an emergency.
Old 19 December 2011, 22:24
Confirmed User

I cringed giving the update thinking of the dig pile.

The surgeon advised that he would not repair it unless it bothered me. He did not feel it presented a high probability of strangulation. That said, it is starting to be quite a nusance and I probably need to get it fixed so it does not become emergent when I am out in BFE. It just is not a convenient time and I am prone to pushing it on the back burner.

I do sincerely appreciate the input. Solid copy on the PM as well.
Old 20 December 2011, 20:15
Been There Done That

Had mine done last year. Repaired with the mesh. I felt a 100% better. During the healing when they tell you not to lift more than normal with one hand they mean around 15 pounds not 50 pound bags of seed etc. It took a while to get back to normal, felt like a puppy for a month or so.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 16 February 2012, 14:23
Chicks dig scars

I'm going in for my second hernia surgery on March 2nd. Left side this time. Goal is to be doing body weight core exercises in two weeks, prepared for it to take a month. Any recover advise is welcome.
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 16 February 2012, 15:21
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
I Any recover advise is welcome.
Reed
Listen to your doctor . . .
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 16 February 2012, 20:09
Migratory Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed11b View Post
I'm going in for my second hernia surgery on March 2nd. Left side this time. Goal is to be doing body weight core exercises in two weeks, prepared for it to take a month. Any recover advise is welcome.
Reed
Doc told my dad absolutely no exercising for a month and then it was walking only the following 2 weeks with slow integration of situps and very low weight lifting and such after that. Granted he had his surgery last year and was turning 50 but he was also running actively and worked for UPS so was moving a lot at work. Like LR said listen to your doc and don't push too hard too fast.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 12 March 2012, 13:59
Chicks dig scars

Thumbs up Follow up.

Had my surgery on the second. With Doc approval I starting doing aqua-jogging today and will start mixing in other bodyweight exercises in the following weeks. No complications at this time aside from soreness at the insision. No weight lifting for 6 weeks from date of surgery. Pretty minor bump for my fitness plan.
Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
You're an Army dude, aren't you?
Quote:
Must have been my use of big words that gave it away.
Old 19 April 2012, 11:36
Confirmed User

After a change in surgeons, I get cut and repaired tomorrow. I am hoping the weekend will help me heal up enough to be back at work Monday or Tuesday. I have stuff scheduled Thursday I hate to move--but I am thinking I'll at least need a car to drop me off at the front door.
Old 19 April 2012, 12:09
Authorized Personnel

Got mine done 10 days ago. TAPP with the mesh. First couple days sucks. The 3000 sit up remark best described the pain. You'll figure out pretty quick how much you'll be able to move around. Sometimes you feel better walking around a little, other times you won't want to move for hours.

Its easy to start to over do it. Just when you think you're feeling better you will do something to remind you that you don't feel as good as you thought you did.

Listen to your body and your Dr. It effects everyone differently. My tear was much larger than we thought. I have enough mess in me to screen a small window. But, the mess hasn't been a problem.

Good luck.
Old 19 April 2012, 12:12
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTTER View Post
After a change in surgeons, I get cut and repaired tomorrow. I am hoping the weekend will help me heal up enough to be back at work Monday or Tuesday. I have stuff scheduled Thursday I hate to move--but I am thinking I'll at least need a car to drop me off at the front door.
Good luck to you!!!

My Pop just decided on his treatment for a reoccurring issue. He spend a lot of time deciding and now he is all in. At this point, I trust you are too...

May your surgeon cut straight and true!!!

asg
Old 21 April 2012, 23:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick0311 View Post
Got mine done 10 days ago. TAPP with the mesh. First couple days sucks. The 3000 sit up remark best described the pain. You'll figure out pretty quick how much you'll be able to move around. Sometimes you feel better walking around a little, other times you won't want to move for hours.

Its easy to start to over do it. Just when you think you're feeling better you will do something to remind you that you don't feel as good as you thought you did.

Listen to your body and your Dr. It effects everyone differently. My tear was much larger than we thought. I have enough mess in me to screen a small window. But, the mess hasn't been a problem.

Good luck.
Many thanks gentlemen. You pretty well nailed it. Doc called it a "helluva hernia". Wife got a bad stomach bug the morning of the surgery, projectile vomiting and all. I drove up solo and had my parents drive me back. I have been praying like a bastard that I don't get the stomach bug. I couldn't see putting this off any longer but did the safe thing and stayed out at my parents for a few days until her stuff runs its course.

Our new posting rules