SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 16 February 2012, 22:56

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
Yea, I do.

And thanks for telling me what not to do, because I guess I'm one of the "dorks" out there.

Is it okay with you if I wear them with shorts in the summer?
Sure!!
Old 17 February 2012, 12:13
Wrapped in the comfort of dark waters

I have a pair of the kangaroo hide KSO VFF that I wear everywhere, but not for running. Mainly to continue strengthening the calve and toe joints which make it easier to prepare for technical runs.

They are comfortable, light and easy on my feet. However, my KSO treks for running are great, but not for technical trails or trails that are riddled with debris. In my experience the debris sometimes lodges in between the toes.

I took a PT test in my KSO and clocked a 11:48, a PR. To me it was a very big deal because as an Ultra runner, I need at least 5-7 miles to warm up. With my KSO's my warm ups for sprints (10k or less) is far less than expected.
Old 17 February 2012, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu6 View Post
I have a pair of the kangaroo hide KSO VFF that I wear everywhere, but not for running. Mainly to continue strengthening the calve and toe joints which make it easier to prepare for technical runs.

They are comfortable, light and easy on my feet. However, my KSO treks for running are great, but not for technical trails or trails that are riddled with debris. In my experience the debris sometimes lodges in between the toes.

I took a PT test in my KSO and clocked a 11:48, a PR. To me it was a very big deal because as an Ultra runner, I need at least 5-7 miles to warm up. With my KSO's my warm ups for sprints (10k or less) is far less than expected.
I agree, I have a pair of the KSO VFF as well... They are comfortable but I do most of my activities off the beaten path and they aren't the best for that.
Old 17 February 2012, 17:14
Puttin' on the foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
Just picked up some Nike Vomero 6s last week and I really like them. I tried transitioning to a mid-foot strike for about a month and a half and while it felt more natural, my recovery times after runs were twice as long and weren't getting any shorter.

A job I'm I'm applying for requires me to work on my running now and I don't have the time I thought I would have to work on the mid-foot strike. Oh well, if you're going to heel-strike, at least do it with some of the most pillowy damn shoes on the market.
I searched high and low for the proper sneaker. I was in Boston last year during the marathon and stopped in a store that were experts on fitting the right shoe. I tried on 8 pairs and walked out empty handed but the employee wrote one shoe on a sticky note for me to look for that should be the right shoe for me. She wrote "vomero 6"

I found a store that stocked them, tried them on and my search was over. My high arches and feet width didn't work in any other shoe I tried on. I would have paid $500 for these shoes.
Old 17 February 2012, 17:30
Good Idea Fairy

Quote:
Yea, I do.

And thanks for telling me what not to do, because I guess I'm one of the "dorks" out there.

Is it okay with you if I wear them with shorts in the summer?
+1

That is what the Brown Kangaroo Treks are for. Kind of like the Tuxedo Shirt. "I am a brown leather shoe but I am here to party." I even wear them with.... JEANS sometimes. The horror!

I now own 4 different pairs of VFF's. My wife does too. We love them. I now find if I am not in uniform or hunting, I have VFF's or flip flops on. Shoes are just too damn restrictive. They have helped immensely with my runs. My knees thank me.

And, I give exactly 2 shits what anyone thinks about my footwear as I am out and about. But, I am a self centered prick like that.

"There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last."

--ShitmyDadsays.
Old 21 February 2012, 04:29
Been There Done That

Hoka One Ones. Best running shoes have ever owned.
Old 21 February 2012, 13:26
All Star Benchwarmer

Asics GT 2140, GT 2150 and a pair of Asics Gel Phoenix 3. I wish I could find another pair of the 2140's in wide. Those were the most perfect pair of running shoes I've ever owned.
Old 27 February 2012, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Hoka One Ones. Best running shoes have ever owned.
How do you like those? My uncle owns the company, and I haven't even tried them out yet, lol
On a side note, its kinda embarrassing that he's in his 50s and can leave me in the dust on the trails (I'm 26).
Old 27 February 2012, 09:49
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Brookes Stable Platform, Vibram KSO and Vibram KSO Trek five fingers.

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid... "
-- John Wayne

"AND PLEASE STOP THE TEXT TALK!!!! OMG's and Plz and all of the others dont fly here. We talk like big people here." -- The infamous Virgil Tibbs (of SOCNET, not TV LAND)
Old 29 February 2012, 03:08
Confirmed User

Would any one suggest a good shoe for over-pronators? I have worn New Balance MR993's and Salomon XA Pro 5's which were my favorites but they no longer make them.
Also, would the VFF's work for my type of foot?
Old 29 February 2012, 07:27
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by brcannon View Post
Would any one suggest a good shoe for over-pronators? I have worn New Balance MR993's and Salomon XA Pro 5's which were my favorites but they no longer make them.
Brooke's has good sources for over pronation, you should check into that. Question on you op, when you walk barefooted, does your ankles , or knees hurt? Can you run okay barefooted? I have heard some suggest that vffs can help, but I would assume if you did hurt, when walking or running barefooted, I wouldnt try it. No expert but that is the logic I would use.

-- John Wayne

"AND PLEASE STOP THE TEXT TALK!!!! OMG's and Plz and all of the others dont fly here. We talk like big people here." -- The infamous Virgil Tibbs (of SOCNET, not TV LAND)
Old 29 February 2012, 07:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Not every shoe suits everyone but a good place to start is wiht http://reviews.nike.com/9191/375373/nike-zoom-structure-triax-13-mens-running-shoe-reviews/reviews.htm
Old 29 February 2012, 10:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostha2008 View Post
Brooke's has good sources for over pronation, you should check into that. Question on you op, when you walk barefooted, does your ankles , or knees hurt? Can you run okay barefooted? I have heard some suggest that vffs can help, but I would assume if you did hurt, when walking or running barefooted, I wouldnt try it. No expert but that is the logic I would use.
Thanks I'll look into Brookes, as for walking barefoot I honestly don't know, I'm usually wearing a shoe since I am always at work, but no I don't think so. I have never tried to run barefoot either.
I'm going to get a pair once I can get fitted when I'm back CONUS and try them out.

Hoepoe, those Nike's look pretty nice as well. Thank you for the information. I've been needing another good pair of shoes for a while now.
Old 29 February 2012, 11:35
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
+1

That is what the Brown Kangaroo Treks are for. Kind of like the Tuxedo Shirt. "I am a brown leather shoe but I am here to party." I even wear them with.... JEANS sometimes. The horror!

I now own 4 different pairs of VFF's. My wife does too. We love them. I now find if I am not in uniform or hunting, I have VFF's or flip flops on. Shoes are just too damn restrictive. They have helped immensely with my runs. My knees thank me.

And, I give exactly 2 shits what anyone thinks about my footwear as I am out and about. But, I am a self centered prick like that.
Be advised, the fashion police in their rainbow fairy helo are gearing up to swoop in your ass.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 29 February 2012, 16:27
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Quote:
Be advised, the fashion police in their rainbow fairy helo are gearing up to swoop in your ass.
ahh hell, im wearing my Black kanagroo KSO Treks in the office today whilst wearing slacks and a black underarmor polo..... Im sure i hear the sound of the helo coming..

-- John Wayne

Old 29 February 2012, 16:29
Chimpoltle ExtraOrdinary

Quote:
Thanks I'll look into Brookes, as for walking barefoot I honestly don't know, I'm usually wearing a shoe since I am always at work, but no I don't think so. I have never tried to run barefoot either.
I'm going to get a pair once I can get fitted when I'm back CONUS and try them out.

Hoepoe, those Nike's look pretty nice as well. Thank you for the information. I've been needing another good pair of shoes for a while now.
The reason I ask about the barefoot thing, is because with the VFFs, you would probably do wise to take your time with them even if you can run barefooted. Again, im not expert, but I can run okay for a fatass.... I can do 3 - 5 mile HIITS with them w/o problems, but if I was to go longer, I would probably toss on my Linear Brookes, im still a little too chicken shit to try it on out on a half mary for example......

-- John Wayne

Old 23 February 2013, 23:51
Calculating Infinity...

Nike Vomero 7

Just picked up my spring running shoes, the Vomero 7.

I liked the smooth ride of the V6's, especially when running over 4 miles on a bigger frame(6'2", 215)
and decided to give the V7's a shot. So far, so good. The V7 is a bit stiffer and "sportier" when compared
to the "luxurious" cushion of the V6, but I'm into that.

Also splitting time with my Merrell Trail Gloves. They are indispensable to me,
as I walk and run short distances in them to strengthen my feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vomero7.jpg (22.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Merrell Trail Glove.jpg (12.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 28 February 2013, 20:39
Migratory Coconut

How does the sizing seem to you for the Trail Gloves? I have some Merrell shoes for work. Very comfy and I've heard good reviews on the Trail Gloves just can't seem to find a dealer around my area so might have to go online.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 28 February 2013, 22:54
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk317 View Post
How does the sizing seem to you for the Trail Gloves? I have some Merrell shoes for work. Very comfy and I've heard good reviews on the Trail Gloves just can't seem to find a dealer around my area so might have to go online.
No issues with sizing, as they are the same size as all of my other shoes. My thought process was similar to yours, in that I have had multiple pairs of Merrell boots and have been very satisfied with the brand. The trail glove is great b/c you get the 0" heel-toe drop and wide toe box w/o the stupid little indiv. toes(apologies to you VFF fans )
Old 28 February 2013, 23:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby2/6 View Post
No issues with sizing, as they are the same size as all of my other shoes. My thought process was similar to yours, in that I have had multiple pairs of Merrell boots and have been very satisfied with the brand. The trail glove is great b/c you get the 0" heel-toe drop and wide toe box w/o the stupid little indiv. toes(apologies to you VFF fans )
+1

I firstgot the VFF. liked em, when I went back to get another pair after the first crapped out, REI didn't have them so I went with the merrells. Wayyyy better

Our new posting rules