SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 July 2016, 22:17
Confirmed User

That was another disappointing finish from the History Channel. Who would have thought that the opening of Capone's vault would be a model of tv production.
Old 12 July 2016, 02:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
That was another disappointing finish from the History Channel. Who would have thought that the opening of Capone's vault would be a model of tv production.
Yes it was. I had some hope after the first episode, but that faded away.
That story about the Alcatraz guys surviving and living out their lives in South America was better. But I'm not sure if that was a History Channel show or not. It has been a while since I saw that show.

In the first episode, they mentioned having some of DB's old cigarette butts. I was hoping they were able to find DNA evidence on those butts, but unless it was covered while I was away from the TV, the 2nd episode didn't mention the cigarette butts at all.

Last edited by Steve509; 12 July 2016 at 02:14.
Old 12 July 2016, 08:29
Confirmed User

Great, are you saying the 1.5 hours I wasted last night, staying up until 0100 watching most of Part I, was a waste of time, and I'm wasting even more time watching Part II?
Old 12 July 2016, 09:03
Confirmed User

The case gets closed because the FBI gives up on the search and archives the evidence; not becasue it gets solved.

I should have known better. If this case was sovled, we'd hear about all over the place before the History channel could produce a 3 hour mocumentary.
Old 12 July 2016, 13:47
Timing is Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile View Post
The Feds say none of the serial numbers have showed back up in circulation.
I'm pretty sure the Feds would say that even if they did. Can't have the public thinking he got away with it.
Old 12 July 2016, 14:02
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I don't think he got away with it, I think he never survived his jump from that plane. Or if he did survive, he did so with serious injuries, which he succumbed to at some point before he ever made it out of that rugged terrain.

His bones are just waiting to be discovered, that is if critters haven't scattered them all over the forest.
Old 12 July 2016, 15:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I don't think he got away with it, I think he never survived his jump from that plane. Or if he did survive, he did so with serious injuries, which he succumbed to at some point before he ever made it out of that rugged terrain.

His bones are just waiting to be discovered, that is if critters haven't scattered them all over the forest.
I haven't watched the program so some of my points may have been covered- but it's a fun discussion anyway.

Obviously this guy possessed above average intelligence to have done the research on the capabilities of the 727 (refueling process, gravity operated airstair, minimum airspeed before stalling, etc), all pre-internet. It's no leap of logic to think he did some dry runs leading up to this flight and inconspicuously cased a 727 before execution- maybe he cached some things on that very aircraft? This was 1971 and 'security screening' was practically non existent. From what I've read the witnesses all said he was relaxed and presented an almost pleasant demeanor. When you're calm, you're confident.

Whether he was an experienced parachutist (military or civilian) is in my opinion, not that critical. He planned this fairly meticulously so let's assume he had a few jumps in some capacity. Why he took an inert reserve is certainly a mystery, but maybe it was a convenient place with built in attachment points to stuff some of the money? And we all know- when activated, parachutes want to open; by that I mean they succeed far more than they fail.

Jumping into western Washington state in November at night, in the rain, with nothing but forest underneath would suck balls. But he exited at 10K feet, and under canopy that is a good long time to look around and get your bearings. I have to believe this cat had a compass with him, and most likely some sort of map-- even a road map. Sure, his corpse could still be suspended from a 150' tall Ponderosa pine tree, but with that much time in the air he could have used it to slip towards a road network of some type.

I guess he could have found himself swaying under canopy in below zero temperatures at 8 or 9,000' saying "Fuck! I planned this shit for months, but forgot how cold it is in November at altitude in Washington State..." and became hypothermic before he hit the ground and had his face eaten by a badger while lying in a snow bank. But I think he made it.

Last edited by RN47; 12 July 2016 at 15:19.
Old 12 July 2016, 15:22
Un-confirmed User

Curious if the Seattle PD or the FBI gave him faulty or sabotaged parachute rigs, knowingly or unknowingly...
Old 12 July 2016, 15:24
Confirmed User

Quote:
But he exited at 10K feet, and under canopy that is a good long time to look around and get your bearings.
But less than 5k AGL. The pilots interviewed made a point that they were nervous as hell about the low vz and varying AGL altitude.
Old 12 July 2016, 15:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Harper View Post
Curious if the Seattle PD or the FBI gave him faulty or sabotaged parachute rigs, knowingly or unknowingly...
He asked for two mains and two reserves. If they (PD or FBI) did rig some sort of malfunction, then they gambled he wasn't planning on forcing one of the crew members to jump with him.
Old 12 July 2016, 21:45
Did...did I do that?

In the old thread Jimbo linked to, someone said he actually jumped his own chute.
Old 13 July 2016, 00:04
Did...did I do that?

And the FBI announces....

Quote:
“Following one of the longest and most exhaustive investigations in our history,” said Seattle FBI spokeswoman Ayn Dietrich-Williamson in a statement Tuesday, the agency has “redirected resources allocated to the D.B. Cooper case in order to focus on other investigative priorities.”
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...nap-story.html
Old 13 July 2016, 01:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

Maybe. But how can we explain finding the bundles of money and never finding a trace of DB or his parachute?
Old 13 July 2016, 07:17
Pirate and Rogue

Bigfoot

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

Being smart does not guarantee success, but being stupid practically guarantees failure - GSniper
Old 13 July 2016, 07:47
Livin' On Blues Power

News tonight said Cooper was the only airline hijacker in history to have never been caught. That true?
Old 13 July 2016, 07:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509 View Post
Maybe. But how can we explain finding the bundles of money and never finding a trace of DB or his parachute?
The bundles of money were found on the bank of the Columbia River and the best speculation from evidence is that the money was dropped at some point while trying to leave the aircraft or after. It was dropped into the Washougal River and floated into the Columbia where it settled.

The Army Corps of Engineers studied the money and concluded that the way it eroded is consistent with it being deposited by the river rather than buried by a person.

Considering an open parachute that could have been one of those given to Cooper has not been found, there could very well be a body with unopened chutes somewhere in the woods.
Old 13 July 2016, 08:13
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post

News tonight said Cooper was the only airline hijacker in history to have never been caught. That true?
True.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 13 July 2016, 11:58
Did...did I do that?

Wait a minnit.....

Old 13 July 2016, 12:02
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
The Army Corps of Engineers studied the money and concluded that the way it eroded is consistent with it being deposited by the river rather than buried by a person.
I find it curious that they (History channel show) held that the rubber bands (and IIRC the money was not provided to him that way? May be wrong about that....) would not have lasted intact the time period from the date of the incident to the date they were found.

At the same time, none of the other money was ever (according to the FBI, who have been known to be, um, wrong...) returned to circulation.....

I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 13 July 2016, 12:08
Been There Done That

If he was so damn smart--why bury some of your loot in close proximity to where you landed?

Do a PLF and then E & E like a MOFO--The currency weight couldn't have been that damn much. Not to mention, greed is the ultimate motivator of movement, both mentally and physically

Our new posting rules