SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 18 January 2002, 17:32
Confirmed User

THAT'S IT!

RLK... thet's the one i couldn't think of. the scene where they're holed up behind the wall trying to get across the field, i had that very firmly in mind and couldn't for the life of me remember what movie it was. Thanks!
-bill
Old 18 January 2002, 19:30
Authorized Personnel

:D Great minds think alike.
Old 19 January 2002, 06:53
Authorized Personnel

Kurt Russell has done some good stuff, I suppose it is classified sci-fi.
Predator rocks! My fav of all time...:D
Dutch; "Whats wrong with you Billy?"
Billy; "I dunno, I'm scared Major"
Dutch; : "You ain't scared of no man!"
Billy; "There's something out there, and it ain't no man, we're all gonna die"...

Last edited by XXNavy; 19 January 2002 at 06:59.
Old 20 January 2002, 10:27
Confirmed User

"Battleground"... "1941"...the first 30 minutes of "...Private Ryan"..."Midway"

one of the worst... "In the Army Now" geeeemany.
Old 20 January 2002, 22:36
Confirmed User

Well, I have to change my vote now...BHD is very powerfull.
Old 20 January 2002, 23:28
jag...justagrunt
Visitor

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Stampee
Well, I have to change my vote now...BHD is very powerfull.
Just saw it... CONCUR 110%
Old 21 January 2002, 00:18
Arrogant Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by jag...justagrunt

Just saw it... CONCUR 110%
Would also have to agree with jag. Intense is the only word coming to mind right now.
Old 1 February 2002, 18:54
MicrotechMike
Visitor

Speaking of R. Lee Emery...he had a great little part in Steven Seagull's ON DEADLY GROUND...the one where he played an ex-EOD, ex-CIA, ex-SEAL hippie Native American firefighter.

Emery is talking about Seagal's experience and says something like "You could drop that guy off in the Antarctic in his bikini underwear without his toothbrush, and tomorrow afternoon he's showing up at your poolside with a million-dollar smile and a fistfull of pesos!" That was great.

Another good line he had was "I want you guys to protect this entrance like it was your sister's cherry!"

Come to think of it those were the only 2 good parts in the entire movie. Fuck Steven Seagal.
Old 1 February 2002, 21:44
Disturbance
Visitor

All the movie soldier is is just close ups of Kurt Russels face for like 2 hours. It is a lame movie. All the battle scenes at the beginning licked balls, wait no the one battle scene they over and over again in different climates was lame.
Old 1 February 2002, 21:57
para325air
Visitor

Ahh....but its has great lines. Remember when the 2nd generation soldiers are landing and Russell is getting ready to go and fight....

"What are you gonna do?"

I love the next line and use it quite a bit.....

"I'm gonna kill 'em all."

God I love it.
Old 1 February 2002, 23:31
VTCCadet
Visitor

I have a whole lot of fav military/war movies, so I better just list the top 10:

1. BHD...Not very original for 1st place, but anybody who watches that movie and still doesn't respect our men/women in uniform need to be kicked outta the country!

2. Full Metal Jacket...This would have been 1st until BHD came along, great movie....too bad its not about the Army

3. The Delta Force....it was cheezy, but Chuck and Lee made great D-boys back when nobody was supposed to know about them. However the sequels sucked.

4. Heartbreak Ridge...I'm mean, nasty, and tired. I eat barbed wire and piss naplam; and I can put a round thru a flea's ass at 200 yards.....'nuff said.

5. Stripes/Major Payne...These movies are only good for their comic relief, but a world without laughter is chaos.

6. Kelley's Heros/Three Kings...I put these two together due to they have similar plots: Soldiers go Behind Enemy Lines to jack a load of gold, shooting up lots of baddies along the way...Ah, if only Oddball was in Three Kings

7. We Were Soldiers...This is only #7 because the movie has not come out yet. When it does, expect it to move up to #3 or maybe even #2 on my list.

8. The Green Berets...this in my opinion, is not only a good war movie, but the Duke's best role! To relate a personal connection: My father was neighbors with SSG Barry Sadler for a short time at Ft. Bragg. SSG Sadler wrote the "Ballad of the Green Beret" heard in the movie.

9. The Patriot/Pearl Harbor...I rate these movies as excellent due to to patriotic pride that these movies filled me with watching them...I saw Pearl Harbor opening day and by the end, there was not a dry eye in the house (It could have done w/o the Titanic-like love story)

10. Band of Brothers...while not a movie, this has to be one of the best made-for-tv productions ever made. When I think of the decision I made to become a cadet, I think of two things: 9/11 and this miniseries.

Runners up: Conspiracy, Saving Pvt. Ryan, Gettysburg, Glory, To Hell and Back, The Lost Battalion
Old 2 February 2002, 12:24
Probationary User

Have to disagree with the patriot. that was extreamly anti-english as most Mel Gibson films are. agrre with most of your other choices. i loved three kings seemed to show the confusion at ground level more than a lot of other films. Why does hollywood produce so many films that are either anti-english or ignore all the english people that were there (U-571 in particular)
Old 2 February 2002, 19:45
para325air
Visitor

Maybe its because we still like to display our continued independance. :D
Old 3 February 2002, 09:06
Authorized Personnel

Lightbulb

...and bad teeth don't look good on screen.
Old 3 February 2002, 11:07
VTCCadet
Visitor

I forgot to add two movies that I think are good for their action: The Peacemaker and Ronin...not very military, but loads of action.

Last edited by VTCCadet; 3 February 2002 at 15:42.
Old 3 February 2002, 22:06
Decan9er
Visitor

In my opinion, Black Hawk Down is the best military movie. It surly is my favorite movie. The problem: no one understands what the Rangers, D-boys, and the 160 SOAR did. Its fiction to some people.

What do you think about this move?
Old 7 February 2002, 15:19
Aluminum Overcast

Best and worst

I really loved the movies "Zulu" and "Great Escape". Zulu was the epic battle of Roarks drift in the transvaal province (South Africa) where a small group of English Infantry and engineers was attacked by a vastly superior Zulu warrior army. 11 Victoria Crosses were won in the 36 hour battle before the Zulus withdrew. Even though beaten they gave the Zulu equivalent of a BZ to their enemy. AHHHH when war still had rules.

Really enjoy watching the Great Escape but thats just the SERE guy in me

I really hate "army of one" movies like rambo, Norris movies, and anything that makes your average dedicated soldier look larger than life.......Read Top Gun here.

P.S. if you get a chance to see it theres an old movie with Sean Connery in it about an English military prison in Africa. Its called "The Hill"......really worth a look
Old 7 February 2002, 15:31
Probationary User

I thought Blackhawk down was an excellent movie, though my favorite is still Full Metal Jacket.

Don't care much for Military movies that sacrifice realism for big hollywood explosions, or unreal scenarios. I think I'm one of the few Marines that dosen't care much for "Heartbreak Ridge" for that very reason!
Old 8 February 2002, 11:58
canibal_1
Visitor

Where are the recon marines in here? I can`t believe nobody has mentioned the movie "gung ho". It`s really just an `ol black and white war movie most likely filmed in the late 50`s/60`s era but lets face it.....It`s all about the raider bat.

btw, Major Payne is just too damn funny
Old 10 February 2002, 09:15
BTDT

Quote:
Originally posted by jag...justagrunt
I forgot this one...

Garden of Stones

James Cann & James Earl Jones

Thanks for mentioning this one.....Great movie.

Last edited by flashbang; 10 February 2002 at 09:25.

Our new posting rules