SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 July 2018, 20:38
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
playing 'cowboys and Indians'.
I'm trigged.
Old 8 July 2018, 20:52
Been There Done That

I'm ok with a draft - if there are NO deferments, and girls are required the same as dudes, AND lgbtqupjtranswhateverthefuck are required to serve as well. Either military, or CCC outdoors infrastructure projects are the ONLY options. If you want to teach, go overseas, work with inner-city youth - do it AFTER your service.
Old 8 July 2018, 21:25
Been There Done That

I like to idea of a conscripted service, but not for the majority of technical positions in the .mil. Chipping paint and catching bullets....

It would be nice if these little fuckers get to learn what it is like to develop callus and muscle through work. CCC for the win. Fuck the Peace Corps and USAID. We need to fix ourselves, first.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 8 July 2018, 23:16
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Is it advisable to put the lives of men as well as multi-million dollar equipment into the hands of people who don't want to be there and are looking for the chance to screw up badly enough to be kicked out?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 8 July 2018, 23:36

Oh Hell No....
Old 9 July 2018, 00:18
Never to old to learn

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
I like to idea of a conscripted service, but not for the majority of technical positions in the .mil. Chipping paint and catching bullets....

It would be nice if these little fuckers get to learn what it is like to develop callus and muscle through work. CCC for the win. Fuck the Peace Corps and USAID. We need to fix ourselves, first.
FUBAR during the 1960's the dam Peace Corps and USAID were left wing SOB.

I have a friend who is a LT with the CDF an works at CDF camp for inmates that are working off the fine or paying money to the state. These guys have to run 8 miles every day with a 50 LB pack on. UP Hill, when ones time is up an he is released from prison they get a new prisoner. They have some 35 & 40 years old that out work the young kids 18 to 25 years old. They have been fighting the fires in CA. Now that what we need to have them do, TWO YEARS working there ass off making 50 cents an hour. The rest of their money pays for there food & clothing.

maybe have these illegals do this for 4 or five years to see what it is like to work in the Good Old U.S.S
Old 9 July 2018, 02:39

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha
Old 9 July 2018, 04:36
I still think I'm fooling everyone

When compulsory military service was in place in Poland (it ended in 2009) young guys went into the military, got hazed (sometimes hard) but also learned to be swift, quick thinking and smart. Polish military was not an ideal institution, far from it. Yet the situation the young men found themselves in - no freedom, strict requirements, day organized from A to Z plus soldiers grinding them mercillessly - caused these young guys to quickly learn life and get a grip on themselves. There used to be a saying in Poland that military turns boys into men.

Our situation was more complicated because many saw the draft as a communist relic with the underlying reason - lack of money. In 2010, NSR (Narodowe Siły Rezerwowe - National Reserve Forces) were created as a voluntary military formation akin to U.S. National Guard. Hopefully the ball will roll further. In Poland majority if not all young people would like to serve for some time if we had money and tools/technologies to do it. Maybe the new generation will have that chance.

You on the other hand have military that has awesome opportunities for youngsters to follow and capitalize on, fantastic tools and fantastic people. So probably all of the young men and women who are attracted to military service got in there already?
Old 9 July 2018, 07:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
FUBAR during the 1960's the dam Peace Corps and USAID were left wing SOB.

I have a friend who is a LT with the CDF an works at CDF camp for inmates that are working off the fine or paying money to the state. These guys have to run 8 miles every day with a 50 LB pack on. UP Hill, when ones time is up an he is released from prison they get a new prisoner. They have some 35 & 40 years old that out work the young kids 18 to 25 years old. They have been fighting the fires in CA. Now that what we need to have them do, TWO YEARS working there ass off making 50 cents an hour. The rest of their money pays for there food & clothing.

maybe have these illegals do this for 4 or five years to see what it is like to work in the Good Old U.S.S
Thanks for telling me something I already knew, which is why I said fuck 'em. I don't think either agency has changed much. As to your second point, I think we are on the same page. Kids need to learn physical labor.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Iím attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 9 July 2018, 07:58
Been There Done That

No, not exactly. While there are some that fit the above description, I have met, have very close friends, and have worked with some from both of those groups that are very comservative and some are military veterans also. Just like I have met, and served with, some military service members who behave good and done behave bad overseas.

USAID did a lot of funding for several projects I managed overseas. 2005/2010/2011. USAID senior director in Cambodia back in 2005 was former Navy Pilot, and very conservative.

My best friend here in Indiana is a Peace Corps veteran. Indiana farm boy, who got his degree in Agriculture and then did 2.5 years Ag development work in Thailand. Pretty much sent out to a small community in southern Thailand and left in his own working his project. Ended up marrying local nurse also. One of the best men have ever known and friends for over 20 years.

Now I have ran across some PCVs, female types, that I thought were a disgrace to America. But I can say that about military service members also.
Old 9 July 2018, 08:30
Been There Done That

USAID - The DOS arm of free stuff. I think that free stuff needs to have more strings and better scrutiny on who gets what. We need to be fixing our internal problems before playing Santa Claus to the rest of the world.
Old 9 July 2018, 08:41
Been There Done That

Nope. Have you ever worked directly on a USAID funded project overseas?

Most times there are strings attached. Milestones and goals that must be met by the Govt. receiving the funds. For the projects I managed, there were reports due to USAID showing what was accomplished using the funding, that Cambodian govt had to show active part in. Not just "free money". And many times those funds/project have a direct impact on the stability, security and economic growth of an area - that does have an impact on America. In Terms of our influence, trade, stability, support, etc. For example on my projects part of that money was used to assist in stopping illegal activity, some of which those illegal activities directly or indirectly affect America (trafficking - timber, drugs, wildlife, human).

I worked on two projects directly funded by the USAID and USFWS, one project partially funded by the USAID, and even another project solely funded by the European Union (which of course is a different animal altogether- the only bitch I had with them is being paid in Euros instead of Dollars, and then running out of money so project being halted at end of contract).

Also is a way for USA to gain support, have influence, rather than letting say China step in to fill the void.

There is not just some random USAID guy handing out free money, that could instead be used in the USA.

Now if you want to discuss some of the govt. bureaucracy , or the delays in funding/hassles, restrictions placed on funding, that is a different story. And applies to almost anything with a US govt. Stamp on it.

Last edited by leopardprey; 9 July 2018 at 08:49.
Old 9 July 2018, 09:26
Freelancer

We should have a Foreign Legion. Conscript DACAs and other parasite Aliens and put them to work on the wall. Then send them to A-stan, upon completion of enlistment they get citizenship. I'm sure we got plenty of warehouses full of old gear to equip them.

I agree women should have to register for selective service.
Old 9 July 2018, 09:29
Been There Done That

I actually know several DACA young men, that really want to join our military and serve. They have grown up here since childhood or babies,
America is all they know. There should be an avenue for them to serve and gain citizenship. Compared to many of the "citizens" I see immigrating from Chicago or the white trash meth heads that are worthless .
Old 9 July 2018, 09:31
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I actually know several DACA young men, that really want to join our military and serve. They have grown up here since childhood or babies,
America is all they know. There should be an avenue for them to serve and gain citizenship. Compared to many of the "citizens" I see immigrating from Chicago or the white trash meth heads that are worthless .
They'd make fine Legion material in the Korengal. Good way to get rid of our undesirables or redeem them.
Old 9 July 2018, 09:48
Been There Done That

Thanks for you input on USAID LP. I'll be a bigger fan once our infrastructure is modernized and we do a better job of managing our internal, social problems. For example: More of our kids graduating with STEM degrees, learning trades and such.
Old 9 July 2018, 09:56
Shakin' the bush Boss

As an Appalachain American, and old, I vividly remember my grandparents talking about working on the CCC and WPA programs. Though large and inefficient, at least the poor were doing SOMETHING besides sitting on the couch and spitting out kids at the cyclic rate for us to support.

While not quite conscription, I believe our citizenry should be doing something for us if they've got their hand in our wallet.
Old 9 July 2018, 10:01
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Thanks for you input on USAID LP. I'll be a bigger fan once our infrastructure is modernized and we do a better job of managing our internal, social problems. For example: More of our kids graduating with STEM degrees, learning trades and such.
Well that probably has a lot more to do with family and academic institutions and local schools. But yes we are lacking in this area . I live next to a major university. Guess where the majority of Masters and PhD students in STEM program come from? Overseas. Now head over to the Gender studies or Pyscology or social programs, all Americans.

Have one of my martial arts students from Thailand here gettingbhis PHd in Mechanical Engineering. Out of around 40 students in the PHd program only 3 are Americans he says. All the rest are mainly Chinese, Indian, Korean and a few others foreigners like himself.
Old 9 July 2018, 10:11
Confirmed User

The news about immigrants being kicked out of the military is smoke and mirrors. I saw this when I was a Drill Sergeant 20 years ago. Guys failed their background checks and were denied security clearances. They were offered the option of reclass of discharge. Out of 240 trainees in a battery, there were 2-3 each cycle. I imagine immigrants, from 3rd world countries, are going to have trouble with those security clearances. And throw in the MAVNI program, it gets worse. A lot of those are officer positions, and no clearance means no commission.
Old 9 July 2018, 10:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
As an Appalachain American, and old, I vividly remember my grandparents talking about working on the CCC and WPA programs. Though large and inefficient, at least the poor were doing SOMETHING besides sitting on the couch and spitting out kids at the cyclic rate for us to support.
Yup...both Sherando Lakes and the Blue Ridge Parkway around my place was built by the old CCC. Hardass men who worked instead of waiting for a handout, and learned a trade in the process. Bringing back something like the CCC isn't gonna happen in today's arena...not yet.

Our new posting rules