SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 26 March 2013, 17:13
Confirmed User

Amazon.com Jobs

SB APPROVED

Hey guys, I just wanted to share some info regarding the many job opportunities that are available through Amazon. The job is in fulfillment operations (supply chain/logistics management). We are a very veteran friendly company (approximately 25% of our team comes from a military background) and it does not matter what your MOS was/is - Amazon values military leadership.

In my 2 years here, I have worked with a retired Army BG, retired Air Force Colonel who was a 130 driver, former Rangers, Intel guys, Artillery, etc. My current team consists of a former artillery LT from the Army, a current NG Cavalry LT, and a current Logistics O (Major) in the AFR...like I said, MOS makes no difference!

The roles typically require a minimum of a BA degree, however, under certain circumstances, people have been hired into management based on experience.

The pay and bennies are really good (Please note these are current typical benefits that are subject to change):

Very competitive base pay (For MOST prior military at the basic management level you can expect ~ $70k, however it does fluctuate up or down based on experience)

Very nice signing bonus

Quarterly bonuses

Restricted Stock Units (You get them initially on signing and they vest over a predetermined time frame - you can also get more stocks each year during your annual review)

Relocation assistance and temporary corporate housing (depending on what relo package you choose)

2 weeks paid vacation in year 1, 3 weeks after that.

6 days of Paid time off

Medical/Dental/Vision

The job itself is really a people management job within the supply chain field. As an Area Manager (what I do) you can expect to manage/supervise anywhere from 30 to 300 direct report associates depending on the facility and time of year (headcount increases during 'peak season' for the holidays).

The other part is focusing on process improvement and actual logistics.

Distribution centers are all over the US and abroad. Opportunity to move up or move into different roles within the company is unlimited...

Please see the following links for more detail:

Military Talent Recruiting Program

Veterans in Amazon Operations

Amazon Leadership Principles I find that the leadership principles align very well with what we have ingrained in us in the military.

I am happy to speak with any of you to give you more details regarding the DTD life as an Amazon manager and connect you directly with our military recruiting team. Thanks for lookin!
Old 27 March 2013, 16:54
Authorized Personnel

What about Amazon's anti-gun rights stance?
Old 27 March 2013, 18:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Well considering I've never heard anything regarding it, I couldn't speak to that. Sounds odd considering we sell gun parts.

What I can speak to is that we are a top-rated veteran friendly company who employs a lot of veterans from all over the world.
Old 29 March 2013, 06:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Really? Is that really an issue when considering employment?
Old 30 March 2013, 00:51
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter28 View Post
Yes

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 31 March 2013, 06:39
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
Yes
If employment is the issue and you were under-employed or, worst case scenario, unemployed, would you reject an offer from an anti-gun rights company? Or, under what circumstance would you accept a job from a company that does not condone owning personal firearms? More money, better benefits, etc?

I know this topic has been exhausted and this thread is about making everyone aware of a job, but I'm just surprised that a company's stance or policy, official or unofficial, is such a prominent issue when it comes to potential employment, banking services, or even fast food.
Old 1 April 2013, 11:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter28 View Post
Absolutely.

Quote:
If employment is the issue and you were under-employed or, worst case scenario, unemployed, would you reject an offer from an anti-gun rights company? Or, under what circumstance would you accept a job from a company that does not condone owning personal firearms? More money, better benefits, etc?

I know this topic has been exhausted and this thread is about making everyone aware of a job, but I'm just surprised that a company's stance or policy, official or unofficial, is such a prominent issue when it comes to potential employment, banking services, or even fast food.
My ethos is built on a very clearly defined set of principles. I won't compromise them. I don't falt anyone that wants to work there. More power to you. Don't start the high-almighty bullshit argument fallacies. My question was fair.
Old 1 April 2013, 12:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Absolutely.
I will do what I have to do to put food on the table for my family. But if I had two similar job offers and one was from an outspokenly liberal or anti-gun company and one was not, then yes I would make a decision based on that stance.

This isnt a knock on Amazon as I really dont know much about them or their political views. If I were planning on applying for the job, or purchasing things from them,I would do my due diligence with the research. But from what I have read on this thread I am very impressed at their level of commitment to our veterans (I am not a veteran). I think those efforts would weigh very heavily in the positive column if I were considering a job with them. I can tell you that after hearing about their veterans program I would consider purchasing things from them although I never have.

I think things like overt political views and especially anti-2nd Amendment stances, given the current political climate, are considered by more applicants and potential customers than these companies realize. Those decisions are usually made quietly with little fanfare.

But to put this post back on the topic of the thread... Even if their political views are askew I take my hat off to Amazon for their diligence in hiring veterans.
Old 2 April 2013, 05:22
Road Scum

Quote:
Absolutely.

My ethos is built on a very clearly defined set of principles. I won't compromise them. I don't falt anyone that wants to work there. More power to you. Don't start the high-almighty bullshit argument fallacies. My question was fair.
This X a million

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 2 April 2013, 09:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Absolutely.

My ethos is built on a very clearly defined set of principles. I won't compromise them. I don't falt anyone that wants to work there. More power to you. Don't start the high-almighty bullshit argument fallacies.
Quote:
You almost hit the right note, but slipped into a non sequitor.
High-almighty argument, oh please. Just a couple questions, take it easy.

Quote:
My question was fair.
Ok, here. If this is true, it may answer your question. Perhaps someone can vouch for the claim.

http://redd.it/17om8h
Old 1 April 2013, 12:50

Quote:
What information do you currently have that suggest or implies that Amazon is anti-gun? If they were truly anti-gun wouldn't this suggest that they would not want to sell any weapon parts online at their site? I'm not sure if this is just a misunderstanding from the numerous rumors out there (such as Starbucks refusing to send coffee to Marines in Iraq because they did not support the war, which was false).

The only thing I have heard and witnessed when I was a Deputy Sheriff in Washington was Amazon donating gift cards to law enforcement for buy backs. Is this considered anti-gun? Then I guess the firearms dealers that were positioned down the street intercepting the firearms and buying them might be considered anti-gun simply by trying to get firearms of the street (which a majority of old crappy, non-working ones at that).
Old 1 April 2013, 13:33
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk12 View Post
Then I guess the firearms dealers that were positioned down the street intercepting the firearms and buying them might be considered anti-gun simply by trying to get firearms of the street (which a majority of old crappy, non-working ones at that).
Let's debate in another thread. My question was about Amazon.com's purported support of anti-gun actions. You almost hit the right note, but slipped into a non sequitor. There's a 2nd Amendment thread in the Lounge we can dive into.

Tartay, my apologies for the thread devolving. If you hear or know of anything internally, let us know. I'm very curious to know if anything has been said to employees about it.
Old 2 April 2013, 01:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Let's debate in another thread. My question was about Amazon.com's purported support of anti-gun actions. You almost hit the right note, but slipped into a non sequitor. There's a 2nd Amendment thread in the Lounge we can dive into.

Tartay, my apologies for the thread devolving. If you hear or know of anything internally, let us know. I'm very curious to know if anything has been said to employees about it.
CV,

No worries - I've been around for 2 years and have heard nothing of the sort. To be honest, if we took an official stance on gun control/2nd Amendment issues, we'd (Fulfillment side) probably find out the same way as the rest of the US. However, if I do hear/find out anything, I'll let you know.
Old 28 March 2013, 00:37
Confirmed User

I worked for Amazon WAY back in the early days....mid 90's to early 00's.

While the company didn't have an official policy on hiring Vets, myself and a few others put a lot of emphasis on hiring Vets in order to complement the lack of discipline, structure, rigor, and experience that was problematic back in the early days.

For all the innovation and outside the box thinking, early hiring of some Vets went a long way in improving problematic operational discipline and performance.

Basically, we brought in some Vets(and other distribution and logisitics industry SMEs) to complement the smart hippies who were out of their depth.

So while it was not an official policy, unofficially individuals with hiring responsibility within the company did target Vets for good reason even from the early days.

Early senior management included Rick Dalzell, CIO and SVP who was a West Point grad who did a bit in the Army. He retired back in 06 I think.

He was the only senior executive who was a Vet as best i can recall.

Promotion with the company is largely internal first. I know more than 1 former hourly warehouse associate who is now running a million square foot + distribution centre as General Manager.

Opportunities to grow into other departments internally is also fairly common for those with talent.

Culture way back then was certainly centre-left.....but everyone's opinion and lifestyle was their personal choice.......professional high and tights thru to green mohawk and face filled with piercings and other weird shit.

I worked with a fair few gun owners there......both right and left side of the political spectrum.

if I had not left to blaze my own trail doing my own thing, I might still be there.

From my recollection, the freaks respected my choices and I respected their choices.

I suspect the company has matured a good bit since then and has moved closer to the centre from centre left(my opinion and based on friends still working there).

It is good to see they have a program for hiring Vets.

As one of the fastest growing large corporations in the US, I believe it represents a good opportunity for Vets with lots of internal advancement opportunity.

I've worked with two other Fortune 500 firms that are household names....I'd put Amazon up there with the others.

In terms of job security, I would rate Amazon as above average to well above average.

As the global economy continues to grind down, Amazon still has considerable scope to grow in a declining market thru its continued massacre of traditional brick and mortar retail.

Just my anecdotal 0.02c and experience with the company from LONG ago.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 29 March 2013, 05:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
I worked for Amazon WAY back in the early days....mid 90's to early 00's.

While the company didn't have an official policy on hiring Vets, myself and a few others put a lot of emphasis on hiring Vets in order to complement the lack of discipline, structure, rigor, and experience that was problematic back in the early days.

For all the innovation and outside the box thinking, early hiring of some Vets went a long way in improving problematic operational discipline and performance.

Basically, we brought in some Vets(and other distribution and logisitics industry SMEs) to complement the smart hippies who were out of their depth.

So while it was not an official policy, unofficially individuals with hiring responsibility within the company did target Vets for good reason even from the early days.

Early senior management included Rick Dalzell, CIO and SVP who was a West Point grad who did a bit in the Army. He retired back in 06 I think.

He was the only senior executive who was a Vet as best i can recall.

Promotion with the company is largely internal first. I know more than 1 former hourly warehouse associate who is now running a million square foot + distribution centre as General Manager.

Opportunities to grow into other departments internally is also fairly common for those with talent.

Culture way back then was certainly centre-left.....but everyone's opinion and lifestyle was their personal choice.......professional high and tights thru to green mohawk and face filled with piercings and other weird shit.

I worked with a fair few gun owners there......both right and left side of the political spectrum.

if I had not left to blaze my own trail doing my own thing, I might still be there.

From my recollection, the freaks respected my choices and I respected their choices.

I suspect the company has matured a good bit since then and has moved closer to the centre from centre left(my opinion and based on friends still working there).

It is good to see they have a program for hiring Vets.

As one of the fastest growing large corporations in the US, I believe it represents a good opportunity for Vets with lots of internal advancement opportunity.

I've worked with two other Fortune 500 firms that are household names....I'd put Amazon up there with the others.

In terms of job security, I would rate Amazon as above average to well above average.

As the global economy continues to grind down, Amazon still has considerable scope to grow in a declining market thru its continued massacre of traditional brick and mortar retail.

Just my anecdotal 0.02c and experience with the company from LONG ago.
Thanks for the input! Rick has an "EasterEgg" on the website. If you go to the sporting goods section, scroll to the bottom and click right below "Interest-Based Ads" there's a hidden link to a "Thank you" written to Rick by Jeff Bezos.

My last GM is a former enlisted linguist who started as an hourly temp associate and has worked his way up over the years. There are a few more Sr mgrs in the same boat as well. Tons of opportunity within the company.

As for vets, we have an entire dept. dedicated to targeting veterans, we go to military bases, career fairs, etc. with a goal of landing the best and brightest.

Shoot, even onboarding is probably way different than when you went through. All new hire management level employees (regardless of experience) go through a week long course to learn the Amazon way and there is a more structured onboarding process once you get to your home site.
Old 29 March 2013, 06:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartay View Post
Thanks for the input! Rick has an "EasterEgg" on the website. If you go to the sporting goods section, scroll to the bottom and click right below "Interest-Based Ads" there's a hidden link to a "Thank you" written to Rick by Jeff Bezos.

My last GM is a former enlisted linguist who started as an hourly temp associate and has worked his way up over the years. There are a few more Sr mgrs in the same boat as well. Tons of opportunity within the company.

As for vets, we have an entire dept. dedicated to targeting veterans, we go to military bases, career fairs, etc. with a goal of landing the best and brightest.

Shoot, even onboarding is probably way different than when you went through. All new hire management level employees (regardless of experience) go through a week long course to learn the Amazon way and there is a more structured onboarding process once you get to your home site.
No worries....

Both the improved new entry HR and the dedicated focus on hiring American Veterans is great news to hear.

"Back in my day" :) "onboarding" consisted of "welcome aboard" and getting thrown in the deep end until you swim or your corpse starts to float.

Amazon and .MIL have proven to be a good match.

Hopefully the bad news of US .MIL downsizing will include some good news of Vets getting jobs and opportunity at Amazon.

And hopefully Amazon still has some of it's edge and hasn't gone too Wal-Mart-y

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 1 April 2013, 13:43
Been There Done That

What is ironic, is how some companies (such as Amazon or Starbucks) will jump on the Pro-Gay bandwagon and go out of their way to promote homosexuality, with the argument that this attracts qualified people and also they do not want to turn off prospective gay applicants. But, by the same token these same companies may not realize that through that stance or other liberal stances, such as Anti-Gun, they maybe doing the same actual thing - such as turning away very qualified personnel. As K9 mentioned for example, one maybe looking at two companies for a job and he turns down the one at Amazon (or another company), where Amazon would greatly benefit from this person's background and skills, due to Amazon'a liberal stances.

I think it would behove a company to stay out of controversial issues and politics in general and just sell the products they produce or market.

And I hope and pray that I never get to a point where I am forced to work for a company, to put food on the table, that goes directly against and promotes things against my core values (such as a liberal anti-2A stance).
Old 2 April 2013, 10:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
What is ironic, is how some companies (such as Amazon or Starbucks) will jump on the Pro-Gay bandwagon and go out of their way to promote homosexuality, with the argument that this attracts qualified people and also they do not want to turn off prospective gay applicants. But, by the same token these same companies may not realize that through that stance or other liberal stances, such as Anti-Gun, they maybe doing the same actual thing - such as turning away very qualified personnel.
Amazon is headquartered in Seattle....the labor pool that they care about comes from the eastside, capitol hill, pioneer square, etc. They dont have a lot of execs from Bremerton, Tacoma, or other conservative areas. They are playing right to their intended audiences.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 2 April 2013, 09:44
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

This is an SB-approved thread, considering his stance on the 2nd Amendment, I believe if he felt Amazon was a crap company he would have never allowed the thread.

Good job though, on both the hijack and then the accusation of the other being high-almighty, based on the questioning (some irony there). I do dig the questioning without throwing out the slightest evidence to back up the insinuation....

Last edited by SOTB; 2 April 2013 at 09:50. Reason: Forgot the irony thingy....
Old 2 April 2013, 20:01
Been There Done That

Knock it off. Keep this thread on topic.

Our new posting rules