SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Medal of Honor

Old 20 May 2014, 19:25
Been There Done That

Former Marine Kyle Carpenter Will be Awarded the Medal of Honor on June 19, 2014

Here is the latest info on this amazing Marine. Go to the website and checkout His video:

Lexington Marine to Receive Medal of Honor Next Month

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/local...honor/9294989/

The White House announced today that Marine veteran Cpl. William "Kyle" Carpenter will receive the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions in Marjah, Helmand province, Afghanistan. Carpenter will receive the medal from President Obama, June 19, 2014. WLTX

Jim Michaels, USA TODAY 9:11 a.m. EDT May 20, 2014

WASHINGTON — In the seconds after the blast, Marine Lance Cpl. William "Kyle" Carpenter recalled a loud ringing in his ears and an unshakable belief that he was going to die.

"I felt like warm water was being poured all over me from the blood coming out," said Carpenter, a Lexington, SC native.

The Marine heard his buddies in Afghanistan calling out to him. They were close but sounded a football field away. "You're going to make it," the men shouted.

"I just kept trying to tell them that I was going to die," Carpenter said. "I wasn't going to make it." Then he blacked out.

Carpenter, now 24, will be awarded the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest award for bravery, for intentionally placing himself between a grenade and a fellow Marine, shielding him from the blast and saving his life, the White House announced Monday.The ceremony is scheduled for June 19.

In November 2010 Carpenter's unit, Company F, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines was operating around Marjah, a network of canals, mud-walled villages and fields, which had been a Taliban stronghold in the heart of Afghanistan's poppy growing region.

Carpenter's squad was ordered south to set up a patrol base in an area that was thick with Taliban insurgents as Marines worked to expand security in the region.

On the first morning in the tiny village, the small patrol came under intense Taliban attack, according to a Marine Corps account of Carpenter's actions. Insurgents fired assault rifles, grenades and rockets at the patrol base. Two Marines were evacuated with injuries.

The following day, Nov. 21, 2010, Carpenter, then 21, and Lance Cpl. Nick Eufrazio set up an observation post on the roof of a building that was serving as the patrol's command center.

By 9 a.m. the Marines were again receiving small-arms fire from insurgents who had used vegetation and buildings to maneuver close to the patrol base.

There was little concealment for the Marines up there, other than a low wall of sandbags that Marines had placed in a circle on the roof.

Carpenter and Eufrazio were forced to lie on their backs to avoid getting shot as they attempted to get a fix on the insurgent positions.

By 10 a.m. insurgents had crept close to the base, tossing three grenades into the compound, one of which landed on the roof of the observation post manned by Carpenter and Eufrazio.

Carpenter immediately positioned himself between the grenade and Eufrazio, taking the brunt of the explosion. Eufrazio is still recovering from wounds received that day.

Carpenter's own injuries were extensive. He lost his right eye, both ear drums were blown, most of his teeth were lost and his right arm was so badly shattered doctors were not sure they could save it. In addition, much of his jaw was missing, his right lung had collapsed and shrapnel had torn into other parts of his body.

Although he doesn't remember the moments leading up to the attack he says his impulse to shield his colleague likely came from the deep kinship Marines feel for each other in combat and the training that taught the importance of "taking care of junior Marines before yourself," Carpenter said.

"I loved him like a brother," he said of Eufrazio.

Carpenter said it has been frustrated that he hasn't been able to piece together the moments before the attack, but he recalls the seconds after the blast.

As he was fading from consciousness his thoughts turned to his parents and home.

"I thought of my family," Carpenter said. "It upset me because I thought how devastated and upset they would be that I didn't make it out of Afghanistan alive and they didn't get to see me again.

"The last thought I had was I made peace with God," he recalled.

"I guess I was trying to make the best and the most out of my last few seconds here on Earth," he said.

Carpenter spent 2½ years at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, where he underwent endless surgeries and procedures. He said he has fully recovered. Last year he ran a marathon and he has tried sport parachuting.

"I really made it a point to not look back," Carpenter said of his recovery.

His spirits were lifted each morning at Walter Reed when he went to the cafeteria for breakfast and saw soldiers and Marines in wheelchairs and on crutches, high-fiving and hugging each other.

"Those 2½ years put things in perspective for me more than an whole lifetime of things," Carpenter said.

Soft-spoken and articulate, Carpenter is medically retired from the Marine Corps and is enrolled as a student at the University of South Carolina, where he is considering majoring in psychology.

Carpenter said he loved being a Marine and the close bonds that are formed in battle.

"The best time of being a Marine was Afghanistan," he said. "There will never be a time when I'm sleeping in the dirt and I haven't showered in four months and I'm with 50 of the people that I'll be the closest with ever.

"I guess if I look at it that way I'm very thankful for Afghanistan," he said. "It really means a lot to me and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesP6591F34.jpg (4.8 KB, 597 views)
File Type: jpg imagesOJCP6EWR.jpg (3.8 KB, 596 views)
File Type: jpg imagesa.jpg (5.7 KB, 595 views)
File Type: png untitledaa.png (64.2 KB, 604 views)
File Type: png untitledaaa.png (62.0 KB, 601 views)
File Type: png untitleda.png (95.8 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (4.6 KB, 596 views)
File Type: jpg imagesaa.jpg (4.8 KB, 592 views)
Old 20 May 2014, 20:51
All Labs Matter

Amazing this Marine survived.

It's not clear to me how, if the two Marines were already on their backs when the frag hit the deck, he "immediately positioned himself" between the blast and the other Marine.

In any event, much respect to this Marine.
Old 20 May 2014, 21:10

Simply amazing
I know that the WW2 generation is called "The Greatest" but these young men and women who have voluntarily signed up since 9/11 knowing full well that they in all probability would be going to war give me hope for the future of our country.
Old 21 May 2014, 07:16
Been There Done That

Outstanding Marine.
Old 21 May 2014, 07:26
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

Incredible. Congratulations, Marine!
Old 21 May 2014, 11:08

He is a Warrior through and through and has set the ultimate example of what it means to be a Marine. Semper Fidelis!!
Old 21 May 2014, 11:45
Ne Obliviscaris

Semper Fi Marine. He's gonna have to swap out that Purple Heart glass eye for an MOH one.
Old 21 May 2014, 12:13

Outstanding! Congratulations, Cpl. Carpenter!
Old 21 May 2014, 12:25
Secure The Victory!

Oustanding.
Old 21 May 2014, 12:52
0311/8651

Sleeping in the dirt!with your closest friends!
S/F
Old 25 May 2014, 02:36
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
He is a Warrior through and through and has set the ultimate example of what it means to be a Marine. Semper Fidelis!!
He showed What it means to be an awesome human being in general! Way to go Marine.
Old 25 May 2014, 02:52
boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth. Semper Fi
Old 25 May 2014, 05:23

Cpl. Carpenter - another exemplary military man above thinking of himself and what he could get out of his actions.
Another role model for future generations of politicians, business people, sports stars and so on - at least making them stop all their self promoting selfies - (another thread.... on this foolish Selfie subject may be needed.) Cpl. Carpenter, may you have an interesting journey the next many years of your life.
Old 25 May 2014, 10:04
Rage against the machine

Another fine warrior. Thank you, Cpl Carpenter.
Old 19 June 2014, 14:51
On the Extract Bird

A moving ceremony. Thanks for your service Cpl. Carpenter.
Old 20 June 2014, 11:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
A moving ceremony. Thanks for your service Cpl. Carpenter.
^Agreed. Very humble & professional red blooded American. Here is video of the ceremony.

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/344680/medal-honor-ceremony-white-house#.U6RWT7FHAZa
Old 20 June 2014, 13:09
Clan Stiùbhard (Stuart)..

I almost had tears watching the ceremony. This young Marine truly deserves this award. May God continue to Bless him and help him.
Old 23 November 2014, 19:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
I almost had tears watching the ceremony. This young Marine truly deserves this award. May God continue to Bless him and help him.

If you were moved to tears during his ceremony I should caution you prior to watching this. What a stud!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11839712&ex_cid=sportscenterFB
Old 23 November 2014, 19:46
On the Extract Bird

Impressive beyond words, and just as humbling. What a warrior, with a heart to match.
Amazing story.
Old 23 November 2014, 19:47
Still Learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
If you were moved to tears during his ceremony I should caution you prior to watching this. What a stud!
Very true. what a Stud, not just for what he did, but how he has handled himself since that day.
Old 23 September 2015, 18:44
Semper Fi

I had the honor to meet Kyle yesterday and talk to him for a few minutes. He is going to school in Columbia, SC. GreaT guy. Semper Fi!

"I wish you could see, what I can see... Sometimes, you have to be up really high... To understand how small you are. I'm coming home now." Felix Baumgartner
Old 24 September 2015, 12:58
Authorized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsurccapt View Post
I had the honor to meet Kyle yesterday and talk to him for a few minutes. He is going to school in Columbia, SC. GreaT guy. Semper Fi!
My son sees him there in the gym frequently, but hasn't worked up the nerve to say anything but "hi" to him...
Old 21 January 2017, 14:16
I really don't care

Great story about this stud Marine.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/...d=synd_zergnet
Old 21 January 2017, 16:36
Supporterator

Thanks ramz. Read the article in full. Incredible that he survived.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"-John 15:13

This also moved me, according to his mother. "Other Marines would always come in to visit him and he didn’t like them seeing him how he looked. It wasn’t that Kyle seemed self-conscious. He knew they were deploying to Afghanistan soon, and he didn’t want them to worry more about being injured like he had been.”

Our new posting rules