Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 14 December 2015, 19:28
Been There Done That

The Shannara Chronicles

New series coming to MTV in January. Based on the novels by Terry Brooks...always liked the books having been a long time fan of The Hobbit, etc. The trailers look like the series might have potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR8b1SpoSc
Old 14 December 2015, 21:52
Adding Chlorine

Had to set the TiVo to record it. MTV is not something typically watched since they don't play music anymore. LOL.

Not As Lean, Not As Mean, Still A Marine
YAT YAS
Old 14 December 2015, 21:56
Policeman Officer

Read the books nearly 30 years ago. Wonder how they've held up?
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 22 December 2015, 19:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Read the books nearly 30 years ago. Wonder how they've held up?
Was just going to say the same thing.

John Rhys Davies (Gimli in LOTR) plays Eventine Elissidil.

Curious that he plays a dwarf in one series and an elf in another!

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 22 December 2015, 20:47
Been There Done That

I am curious as well as to the character Allanon...I hope they can pull it off, of all the books--I thought The Elfstones of Shannara was the better of the first three installments.
Old 23 December 2015, 09:46
Doc McNasty

I stopped at the Sword of Shannara - I thought the entire thing was such a blatant LOTR knockoff and haven't even thought of the book since. After watching the trailer, I notice that it's post-apocalyptic/post-civilization collapse. The scene with the fallen Space Needle in PNW was weird - I don't recall anything like that in the books. But it's been 35yrs, I'll prob give it a chance.
Old 25 December 2015, 12:13
Confirmed User

I read the original trilogy 30 years ago and agree that Sword was a ripoff of LOTR and that Elfstones was the best. I only read it once, so I don't remember all the details. But when I watched the trailer, nothing looked familiar.

Another book he wrote that I really enjoyed was Magic Kingdom for Sale.
Old 6 January 2016, 09:22
Confirmed User

I enjoyed the premier and will tune in next. I don't remember enough to know how true to the book it is, but I was entertained.
Old 8 February 2017, 23:28
Spice Weasel

This hit Netflix several months ago. I can see why MTV produced it--lots of whiny teen crap about "why me" and "this sucks and I'm too selfish to think of anyone else." But generally enjoyed it.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 9 February 2017, 09:42
I aim to misbehave

The vast majority of fantasy is a LOTR ripoff, so I don't even consider that in whether a book/series is any good. Shannara Chronicles was an OK show, and motivated me to finally get the books down off my shelf and read them. Just about to be done with Sword, and I guess I'll read the whole series. Entertaining enough, and reasonably well written.

While true:
Continue
Old 9 February 2017, 10:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
The vast majority of fantasy is a LOTR ripoff, so I don't even consider that in whether a book/series is any good. Shannara Chronicles was an OK show, and motivated me to finally get the books down off my shelf and read them. Just about to be done with Sword, and I guess I'll read the whole series. Entertaining enough, and reasonably well written.
I agree about the books, take away Bilbo's ring and replace it with a sword...the same with the characters, etc. All Terry Brooks did was put a slightly different spin and a well know story...but still a really good series, and worth the read.
Old 9 February 2017, 11:00
Confirmed User

I only made it into the 4th episode before I couldn't take anymore of the whiny teen crap. I remember reading about 10 of the books back in the day. I'm amazed at how many Shannarra books he's written over the years and has plans to write four more before wrapping it up.
Old 9 February 2017, 11:24

I read the books when I was a little 70lbs pre-teen in early junior high. I started watching the show simply because of the "muh childhood" factor.

To echo what others have said, yes it's ridiculous teen angst whiny crap. Sad to see Crixus helping out such losers. Anyway, I kept watching because I would straight smash some of those hot chicks they show ---- and I need something to watch while I'm on my cardio bike.

All in all, decent mind-rot that isn't too flagrantly annoying. Just as long as you know what it is, and what it isn't.....
Old 17 February 2018, 23:42
Confirmed User

My teenage step daughter was interested so I got back into it. She and my wife enjoyed the first season and my opinion didnt change from what Id posted earlier. The show varies quite differently from the book The Elfstones of Shanarra.

Were four episodes into the 2nd season and it is much more intense, violent, graphic and quite dark. The girls quit watching because of the brutality. Im enjoying this season much more and plan to finish it without them.
Old 5 July 2018, 23:42
Spice Weasel

Season 2 is out on Netflix now. Spike is producing it this time around, so we'll see how it turns out.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36

Our new posting rules