Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 20 February 2018, 10:57
#AllLionsMatter

Thumbs up 42 Grams on Netflix...

This is for folks that "really" like cooking and learning about cooking.

Two Michelin-Starred 42 Grams Closes After 3 1⁄2 Years

During the show, my wife & I agreed that there was no way he would remain open because of his "intensity" when it comes to the way he organizes his kitchen, movement & cooking....

Netflix 42 Grams
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 20 February 2018, 20:18
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I read a couple of stories about this guy, actually reviews of the documentary you speak of. I guess he's like a lot of celebrity chefs, a real pain in the ass.

Chicago has a lot of chefs like that, I think they all take their cues from guys like Gordon Ramsay and Charlie Trotter.
Old 27 February 2018, 09:48
Psalm 91:2

I knew within the first 30 minutes that they would be divorced and the restaurant would not still be open.

Both the chef and his wife were very high strung people. No intimacy. No communication or social skills. The chef was very organized regarding his cuisine, plating and vision yet utterly disorganized in every other aspect of his life. I donít think he intentionally was a prima dona asshole like Gordon Ramsey. I think he just lacked communication skills putting his vision into words.

Food is an intimate thing. You basically put your heart and soul on a plate. While I saw genius and art in his cuisine it lacked heart and soul. Though I most definitely would have paid $200+ for a multiple course dinner it would not have ever become a favorite restaurant of mine. Kind of like a bottle rocket. You light it and itís very pretty and you watch but it burns itself out way too soon. It was very intriguing and utterly fascinating to watch in regard to his vision, creativity and artistry.

He did not seem comfortable in his own skin. He seemed almost savant like and so did the wife to a certain point though nowhere near as much.

The tape measuring of placemats, napkins and silverware was very sterile and that degree of control and order almost precludes putting your heart and soul into your cuisine.

Think about it. Food brings us together and shows other people who we are. Meals are very sociable occasions. Family dinners are meant to bring a closeness with the people who prepared the food and those who gather to eat. Too much sterile control prohibits that. The joy was missing.

My favorite moments from childhood were helping my mother cook. Her teaching me and the intimacy and fellowship shared around the table. Also other larger family gatherings like Thanksgiving, Christmas and other events like neighborhood fish fries and get togethers was not only about good food but fellowship and fun. You canít rate that with Michelin stars and James Beard awards.

Very interesting film. Chef was a genius with cuisine and an artist regarding plating but was clueless about passion, joie de vivre, intimacy and fellowship.

It was kind of sad.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 27 February 2018, 19:46

I never quite understood the whole foodie phenomenon.

They'll review some of the big name restaurants with renowned chefs on our local Check, Please! program on PBS, and I look at some of the stuff they serve up and think: how can you not walk away feeling hungry from that?

I experienced that same problem many years ago when we went to some French restaurant one of my sisters suggested, and on the way home felt the urge to stop at Burger King. Not because I wanted to eat at Burger King, but because I was so damn hungry.
Old 28 February 2018, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I never quite understood the whole foodie phenomenon.

They'll review some of the big name restaurants with renowned chefs on our local Check, Please! program on PBS, and I look at some of the stuff they serve up and think: how can you not walk away feeling hungry from that?

I experienced that same problem many years ago when we went to some French restaurant one of my sisters suggested, and on the way home felt the urge to stop at Burger King. Not because I wanted to eat at Burger King, but because I was so damn hungry.
One plate yes but not a lot of tasting courses. Rich tasting dishes (which usually have good fat & protein amounts) fill me up and last longer. Though Iíve also experienced being hungry too soon after a meal like you described though not the Burger King thing because Iím celiac and have to be gluten free.

Though Iíd dearly love to pig out on a Whopper with cheese. Gosh itís been 15 years since Iíve had one. Are they as good as I remember? Now Iím thinking about some of the good fast food items.

Iím sure they were never as good as what I remember them being.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 28 February 2018, 16:42

I haven't eaten Burger King in years, or McDonald's.

Culver's finally opened a location close to me a few years ago, that's pretty much the only fast food joint I go to. Much better than the rest.
Old 28 February 2018, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I haven't eaten Burger King in years, or McDonald's.

Culver's finally opened a location close to me a few years ago, that's pretty much the only fast food joint I go to. Much better than the rest.
Iíve never heard of this Culverís you mentioned. I donít donít generally eat fast food except for Chick-fi-A. When we travel I will admit to getting some waffle fries with my grilled chicken tenders from Chick-fil-A. Only place I can get fries unless I cook them myself. If we travel on a Sunday Iím out of luck. I usually bake blueberry muffins and such and keep in freezer. I will pull a couple from the freezer to keep in case we canít find a restaurant with a gluten free menu.

At home I usually cook a lot and then freeze. The other day I cooked meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and butter beans. I cooked enough for my husband and me to eat multiple meals. I have plates separated into 3 sections with lids. I put the food onto the plates into each section then leave off the lids and put on trays and slide into one of our freezers. Once the food is pretty much frozen I put the tops on and belch out the air then vacuum seal each plate. Label and date it then stack it up inside another freezer.

I do this for when I either donít have time to cook or donít feel like cooking. Pop them in the microwave and theyíre pretty good. And theyíre idiot proof for my husband too. Besides eating it the only things he knows about food is how to order it from a menu or heat up in the microwave. I love him dearly but he canít boil water. Good thing I love to cook.

Our new posting rules