SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 18 February 2016, 17:29
Spice Weasel

Occupied

I found this on Netflix as a suggested view after watching the Heavy Water Wars. It's a Norwegian series. A cautionary tale of what happens when a sheep watches over the flock near a wolf den.

The premise: the US has become energy-independent, thus making the Middle East irrelevant from their foreign policy perspective and civil war breaks out in the Gulf (I have to assume the US has given the finger to Europe, too). In Europe, the super green party gets control of the Norwegian Parliament and votes to shut down oil and gas production in favor of pursuing clean thorium-based energy (because: climate change). Consequently, Europe is energy starved and goes into a deep recession.

Enter the Russians, stage East, with the EU's sort of quiet cooperation. It's not a outright invasion--the Prime Minister takes a ride in a Spetznatz-staffed helicopter and witnesses the shooting of a random civilian who happens on their LZ, and promptly offers the Russian camel's nose a warm spot in Norway's tent. And it goes downhill from there--with Russia playing a very reasonable victim.

The most glaring error I've seen so far is that the Spetzntaz were missing their shovels. I guess they don't have the best technical advisor on the show...

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 18 February 2016, 17:41
Confirmed User

I thought it was pretty good as well.

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law - just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack
Old 19 February 2016, 02:53

I hope people in EU (Scandinavia especially) watch this show and grasp the underlying theme. Because the plot is just the window dressing. The entire sub plot is pure uncut non-fiction.
Old 19 February 2016, 10:55
Been There Done That

This show is on the list. Sounds better than "the man in the high castle" which turned out to be a real disappointment IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21 February 2016, 11:54
Confirmed User

Good show so far. Have to be disciplined when watching the subtitles though...lol. Im actually starting to pick up some Norwegian.

I expected to see a Marines at the embassy.

You really don't know who is pushing the buttons. Are the Russians secretly propping up the Free Norway people somehow to be able to keep their presence? That's my theory anyway.

No Americans make an appearance until episode 9 and it's gold.

Pretty much everyone, including the cops, drives a real nice BMW's.

There's some great scenes but I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

Last edited by Macka; 21 February 2016 at 12:00.
Old 21 February 2016, 18:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
This show is on the list. Sounds better than "the man in the high castle" which turned out to be a real disappointment IMO.
Occupied is VERY good.

I think it gives solid interconnected tactical, operational, and strategic viewpoints......about as good as you can expect from a mini series.

One of the better video broadcasts on UW/"non linear-hybrid warfare buzzword" fictional campaigns.

My only eye rolling relates to the climate change political correctness dogma...but as it a central theme to the plot I just roll with it.

Overall I really rate it.

-----

I quite like Man in the High Castle.

I'm a bit of a nerd for alternative 20th century history......while it could certainly be better one thing they absolutely knocked out of the park was the set design and CGI.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 21 February 2016, 22:19
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
One of the better video broadcasts on UW/"non linear-hybrid warfare buzzword" fictional campaigns
I will watch it based solely on this comment. Thank you.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 22 February 2016, 01:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I will watch it based solely on this comment. Thank you.
Haha....I hope I didn't set the expectations TOO high.....it IS TV after all.......but pretty good TV if you like a realistic-ish "thinking thriller".

Old 23 February 2016, 22:14
Confirmed User

Nevermind. Erroneously searched Amazon.
Old 8 March 2016, 16:55
Been There Done That

So far about half way through the season. Liking it.

Old 8 March 2016, 19:59
Old Scroll

Can't wait for season II

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 8 March 2016, 21:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Can't wait for season II
Yes. Just finished season one. Last two episodes are intense. The first season just really seems to be laying the foundation. The second season, things are going to get real.

Old 12 May 2016, 23:58
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I just watched what I think are the first two episodes of the first season on a random satellite TV channel I'd never heard of called Pivot. Definitely digging it so far.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 24 May 2016, 19:40
Been There Done That

Started watching it and got totally hooked. The show is excellent!

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 24 May 2016, 19:57
Spice Weasel

Looks like Season 2 is in the works. Glad to see this, as the Norwegian critics thought it wasn't particularly good, and it was uncertain whether a second season would be forthcoming.

"Never saw a shark swimming down my street, although that would be kinda cool." --Purple36
Old 25 May 2016, 16:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azatty View Post
Looks like Season 2 is in the works. Glad to see this, as the Norwegian critics thought it wasn't particularly good, and it was uncertain whether a second season would be forthcoming.
Sweet as!

I hope they make it as controversial and as awkward as possible....like REALLY digging into moral/ethical conflicts of collaborators, fence sitters, and underground supporters and characters transitioning from one category to another as the conflict evolves.

I suspect Occupied has become a bit of a global hit, more so internationally than in Norway itself.

What I like most about the show is the use of subtitles rather than dubbing it in English.

With subtitles I'm fully engaged instead of the usual reading on my tablet with largely ignored TV noise in the background.

Also check out the "Heavy Water War" series and "Max Manus" movie on Netflix if you want some accurate historical context of Norwegian Resistance in WWII to put Occupied into perspective.

Hopefully series 2 of Occupied makes some historically relevant references.

Old 13 December 2016, 07:16
Confirmed User

New Norwegian military series on Netflix: Nobel

Set in a modern military context in Afghanistan.

Only just starting it, so no full review.

Looks like the subject is Norweigan FSK(saw an FSK patch flashed early on)

But "shooting from the lip/hip" it looks pretty gritty/realistic.

Better than most TV rubbish if Occupied and Heavy Water Wwr are anything to go by.

Thanks to Norway for doing their bit to make sure not everything on TV is shit.

Old 13 December 2016, 09:53
Been There Done That

As I stated in another thread, Norway is blowing Hollywood away.

Thanks for the recommendation, did not see this. So will definitely be checking it out!

Old 13 December 2016, 21:16
היה אישם עשה משהו

Another vote for Occupied. Plausible, intelligent, interesting premise so far (I've only seen the first episode and a half).

I skipped over Nobel, but I may go back and check it out.
Old 13 December 2016, 22:17
Been There Done That

Season two cannot come soon enough. I think it is going to get "real" in season two.

Our new posting rules