Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 4 December 2016, 02:46
היה אישם עשה משהו

Fauda

No, not about GEN Mattis (Chaos).

New Israeli series on Netflix about the Arabists Unit that hunts down terror suspects. I don't know anything firsthand about the unit(s); but from what I do know the first episode was pretty good. Shows promise.
Old 5 December 2016, 03:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic09 View Post

New Israeli series on Netflix about the Arabists Unit that hunts down terror suspects. I don't know anything firsthand about the unit(s); but from what I do know the first episode was pretty good. Shows promise.
It will be good to see it with English subtitles.

Seen it in Hebrew without knowing Hebrew, pretty good.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 5 December 2016, 15:52
Been There Done That

Watched the first episode. Very good! Look forward to watching the rest of the season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 December 2016, 21:42
Been There Done That

Quote:

Looking forward to see your continual reviews of the series.

Old 5 December 2016, 22:41
I really don't care

Israeli trailers are the shit! Watching tonight on Netflix. Got me a new 55" UHDTV and been waiting to watch it until I got the new tube all figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Seen it in Hebrew without knowing Hebrew, pretty good.
Sir, any idea how ironic and hilarious that comment is considering your handle?
Old 6 December 2016, 09:50
Confirmed User

It's an excellent show and only picks up in pace as it progresses.
Old 6 December 2016, 09:55
Old Scroll

I'm starting the series this morning.

Always wondered what an AT group might look like / act like if the gloves were actually off for a change...

Playing for keeps is something that we unfortunately don't really do anymore

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 6 December 2016, 10:18
Been There Done That

Finished the 4th Episode last night. Damn! Again, another example of how foreign made production are blowing the US away.

I will never look at floor rugs the same way from now on if ever doing CQB.

Like how they do "Israeli Draws" all the time. LMAO.

Very good series.

Old 6 December 2016, 11:40
Life is simple, not easy.

It is in the queue. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 6 December 2016, 16:09
Life is simple, not easy.

I made my 10yr old daughter stay home because she is sick, so I decided to watch this over my lunch break since I am also home with her.

First episode and I am hooked. Heck I was 10 mins in and hooked.
Old 6 December 2016, 16:33
Confirmed User

I know one of the guys who served in that unit. He has dual citizenship, lives here in the States now. I will have to watch.
Old 6 December 2016, 19:08
Been There Done That

SPOILER ALERT:

End of Episode 7...... Damn! That is some pretty harsh stuff. The team should have lit up the two guys with vengeance, instead of the course of action they took at the start of Episode 8

Old 7 December 2016, 09:40
Authorized Personnel

Good series. Would have probably passed it by because there's so much other stuff to watch. Was going to watch The Tiger based on recs here, but it was already 8:30 and saw it was 2 hours long so instead we started this thinking we'd watch an episode then still get to be at a reasonable hour.

Blew through three of them instead.
Old 7 December 2016, 14:11
Policeman Officer

Awesome, awesome show.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 7 December 2016, 15:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzmedic View Post
Sir, any idea how ironic and hilarious that comment is considering your handle?
Yeah. No doubt!

I found it about a year and a half ago, right after meeting an ex Duvdevan fella and reading about Mista'arvim.

I was hoping someone would eventually subtitle it in English.

It looks like Netflix's throwing tons of cash at new content has also included the easier option of buying OCONUS content and subtitling it. Far easier option, and great way of seeing non-US content.

There's also an Israeli series about Mossad training cycle that looks interesting, just too busy lately to knock it out.

Also, South Korea's Train to Busan is a winner.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 7 December 2016, 18:17
Policeman Officer

One thing I really liked is that in one scene where they swarm and shoot multiple people, there's not a high volume of fire. Just a smattering of single shots.

One day I'm going to move to Israel and make my fortune as a tactical trainer preaching the gospel of one in the chamber.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 8 December 2016, 13:09
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post

There's also an Israeli series about Mossad training cycle that looks interesting, just too busy lately to knock it out.
מדרשה or Mossad 101

Meh. I say don't bother. I appreciated (some) of the Israeli humor of it; but I still can't decide what they were trying to do with it. Too much stupid sub-plot soap opera drama. And the candidates (it's about a class of Mossad candidates) are the sorts who I can't believe would ever pass initial background checks and selection. Makes The Mossad look very unprofessional, which I doubt that they are.

Not like the quality of Fauda at all.

For those not familiar at all with the Israel Police Force/Border Guard and IDF mista'arvim (Arab imposters), the book The Ghost Warriors by Katz isn't bad, IMO.
Old 8 December 2016, 13:11
היה אישם עשה משהו

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
One day I'm going to move to Israel and make my fortune as a tactical trainer ...
coals to Newcastle, anyone?
Old 8 December 2016, 15:08
Been There Done That

Just finished the season. Well done. Did not end as I thought it would, I will say that.

Is there a second season coming? As the season closes with a definite opening for a second season to delve into.

Old 8 December 2016, 15:33
Policeman Officer

Quote:
coals to Newcastle, anyone?
Weelllll... I'm going to leave that alone. Mostly. There are a lot of things I think Israelis are really good at. Pistol technique isn't one of them.

Our new posting rules