SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 5 March 2018, 14:01
Secure The Victory!

David Ogden Stiers passing

David Ogden Stiers, who played MAJ Charles Emerson Winchester, III on M*A*S*H, has died at the age of 85 of bladder cancer. He brought new meaning to the word "pompous". He was a completely different type of character than that of MAJ Frank Burns, whom he replaced on the show. As much as I loved to see Hawkeye, Trapper and BJ stick it to "Ferret Face", it was great to see Winchester sometimes come out on top. He was a great addition to the cast. RIP, MAJ.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/04/o...mash-dies.html
Old 5 March 2018, 15:20
Did...did I do that?

I think one of my favorite episodes of his was "Morale Victory," where he has saved the hand of Private David Sheridan (James Stephens), not knowing the private was a concert pianist back in the World. Sheridan thinks his career ruined, since there was some nerve damage, but Winchester finds music written for one hand.

"Don't you see? Your hand may be stilled, but your gift cannot be silenced if you refuse to let it be. The gift does not lie in your hands. I have hands, David. Hands that can make a scalpel sing. More than anything in my life I wanted to play, but I do not have the gift. I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music. You have performed Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Chopin. Even if you never do so again, you've already known a joy that I will never know as long as I live. Because the true gift is in your head and in your heart and in your soul. Now you can shut it off forever, or you can find new ways to share your gift with the world - through the baton, the classroom, or the pen. As to these works, they're for you, because you and the piano will always be as one."
Old 5 March 2018, 15:22
Just A "Less Than"

I spent many a evenings watching M*A*S*H with my family! A lot of memories of us watching it.

Rest In Peace, Major Winchester....and thank you for the many memories!
Old 5 March 2018, 15:45
Confirmed User

Re-runs of MASH are still as entertaining today as watching the firs runs. I'm always amazed how they were able to plug in new characters and the show didn't miss a beat. I think that is a tribute to the writers and the actors.
Old 5 March 2018, 16:07
Shakin' the bush Boss

I still watch the re runs periodically. Liked MAJ Winchester's character better than Frank Burns.
Old 5 March 2018, 23:20
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Colonel Flagg beat them both.

Quote:
Flagg: Okay, pipsqueak, what tipped you off?

Radar: Well, you don't look anything like you, sir, and since you're a master of disguises, I figured you were the only one who couldn't look like you that much.

Flagg: I'll buy that, for now. But if you ever cross me up, you're gonna get a Number Eight.

Radar: What's that?

Flagg: Have you ever heard of the Malaysian Chest Implosion torture?

Radar: No, sir.

Flagg: Good! 'Cause there's no such thing... yet.
Old 5 March 2018, 23:25
The atomic zit

Charles Emerson Winchester, III was an ass, he wore it well.

His humility, in “Moral Victorty”, reminded me that character was human and cared.

RIP Mr. Stiers.
Old 6 March 2018, 00:45
Life is simple, not easy.

I grew up on M*A*S*H and watched it with my family. I believe he replaced Frank Burns as the village ass.

RIP Mr. Stiers
Old 6 March 2018, 05:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
I think one of my favorite episodes of his was "Morale Victory," where he has saved the hand of Private David Sheridan (James Stephens), not knowing the private was a concert pianist back in the World. Sheridan thinks his career ruined, since there was some nerve damage, but Winchester finds music written for one hand.

"Don't you see? Your hand may be stilled, but your gift cannot be silenced if you refuse to let it be. The gift does not lie in your hands. I have hands, David. Hands that can make a scalpel sing. More than anything in my life I wanted to play, but I do not have the gift. I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music. You have performed Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Chopin. Even if you never do so again, you've already known a joy that I will never know as long as I live. Because the true gift is in your head and in your heart and in your soul. Now you can shut it off forever, or you can find new ways to share your gift with the world - through the baton, the classroom, or the pen. As to these works, they're for you, because you and the piano will always be as one."
This episode was more inspirational than you can imagine and ended up having a significant impact later on in our family's life. My mother was an accomplished pianist as well, who lost her right hand in an auto accident in 1999. It was this episode that came to mind, to share with my mother and get one handed music for her and inspire her as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 March 2018, 05:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I still watch the re runs periodically. Liked MAJ Winchester's character better than Frank Burns.
+1. And Harry Morgan was a much needed replacement as well.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 6 March 2018, 06:05
Red Headed Stepchild

You guys are old.

Me too.

My favorite show growing up.
Old 6 March 2018, 06:41
Swimming Upstream

I binge watch MASH and never tire of it. Love COL Flagg and Frank for their douchbagery. Such great writing and acting.

RIP
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 6 March 2018, 11:47
Confirmed User

85? damn I am getting old RIP Mr. Stiers thanks for sharing your talent.
Old 6 March 2018, 17:55
Problem Solver

M*A*S*H will always be one of the best shows in television history and David Ogden Stiers helped make it what it was.

Rest in peace, Mr. Stiers; thanks for the memories...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 6 March 2018, 18:01
0311/8651

It was my favorite till BJ showed up.
Old 6 March 2018, 18:41
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

MASH played on TV when I was a kid, but I never watched it until I was an adult watching reruns. My dad did three tours in the infantry in Vietnam, and he thought MASH was just left-wing agitprop undermining support for the military. I think the show portrayed many aspects of military life accurately, sometimes even poignantly, but in some ways I think he was right. Hollywood never gets military life right, and I don't expect them to, but almost everything Hollywood portrays of the military comes packaged with a subtext that is usually unpleasant - the war is a instigated and maintained for the benefit of corrupt politicians, or soldiers are mindless robots, or soldiers are tragic actors whose bodies/minds/souls are destroyed for nothing, or soldiers are hateful murderers, or soldiers are too mentally unstable to trust with important things, etc. It's bad enough when those things are true, but it is worse when those things are selectively emphasized to make some larger political point at the troops' expense. All that being said, Mr. Stiers seemed to be a fine actor who played his part well, and in his personal life he seemed quite similar to the character he played, including directing orchestras. He was very good at his chosen profession, seemed to be highly thought of throughout his life, and there aren't enough people in the world like that. RIP.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 6 March 2018, 18:51
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
M*A*S*H will always be one of the best shows in television history and David Ogden Stiers helped make it what it was.

Rest in peace, Mr. Stiers; thanks for the memories...
Just thinking...even years later it's still weird to see interviews where he speaks without the Winchester accent.
Old 6 March 2018, 23:41
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Just thinking...even years later it's still weird to see interviews where he speaks without the Winchester accent.
He's in Better Off Dead, and I remember being really surprised at his "normal" voice.
Old 7 March 2018, 11:35
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
MASH played on TV when I was a kid, but I never watched it until I was an adult watching reruns. My dad did three tours in the infantry in Vietnam, and he thought MASH was just left-wing agitprop undermining support for the military. I think the show portrayed many aspects of military life accurately, sometimes even poignantly, but in some ways I think he was right. Hollywood never gets military life right, and I don't expect them to, but almost everything Hollywood portrays of the military comes packaged with a subtext that is usually unpleasant - the war is a instigated and maintained for the benefit of corrupt politicians, or soldiers are mindless robots, or soldiers are tragic actors whose bodies/minds/souls are destroyed for nothing, or soldiers are hateful murderers, or soldiers are too mentally unstable to trust with important things, etc. It's bad enough when those things are true, but it is worse when those things are selectively emphasized to make some larger political point at the troops' expense. All that being said, Mr. Stiers seemed to be a fine actor who played his part well, and in his personal life he seemed quite similar to the character he played, including directing orchestras. He was very good at his chosen profession, seemed to be highly thought of throughout his life, and there aren't enough people in the world like that. RIP.
I think I remember Richard Hooker(the author of the book and Korean vet), didn't like the series, because it was too liberal and anti-Korean war. He wrote the book as a comedy, but never intended for it to be political.

I read the book, and I remember the part with the football game, and the center sneaking the football, was the funniest thing I had ever read. (I was 16 at the time, but still...)

Our new posting rules