Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > H2H Combat

Old 30 August 2017, 19:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
I'd like 'em use MMA rules...
It's happened a few times in the past, and it didn't end well for the boxer.

Exhibit A: Randy Couture vs. James Toney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QIYYd-v8jI
Old 30 August 2017, 21:26
Confirmed User

actually, Mayweather is 51-0 if you count the time he beat his wife
Old 31 August 2017, 00:02
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfist View Post
actually, Mayweather is 51-0 if you count the time he beat his wife
Too funny.

If she waits until he's sleeping and uses the cast iron frying pan
it'll be 51-1......

:wakesupinhosptial: "Wha' happened?"

"Your wife knocked you out Champ."

"I don't remember that".......

Everyone has to sleep sometime.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

Last edited by bobofthedesert; 31 August 2017 at 00:11.
Old 31 August 2017, 15:55
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter1965 View Post
After seeing some of this fight I was thinking I'd like to see someone with the killer instincts of Hagler or Hearns on the boxer side of this match.
It's the unanswerable question, I think either one of them would have given Mayweather the kind of fight he never had in his career. I also think he would have stood a better chance as his younger, more aggressive self.

My biggest problem with Floyd Mayweather is that he cherry picked many of his opponents, or waited until a point in both their careers so that he would have had an advantage. Back in the great days of those fights involving Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran, it seemed you could barely go 6-8 months before one of them would be fighting another. Hearns won 6 titles in 5 different weight classes during his career, which is no small feat.

All those guys could box, and they definitely had the kind of consistent punching power that would have opened up Mayweather's eyes, at least right up until the point that he went down and his eyes shut.
Old 31 August 2017, 17:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
It's the unanswerable question, I think either one of them would have given Mayweather the kind of fight he never had in his career. I also think he would have stood a better chance as his younger, more aggressive self.

My biggest problem with Floyd Mayweather is that he cherry picked many of his opponents, or waited until a point in both their careers so that he would have had an advantage. Back in the great days of those fights involving Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran, it seemed you could barely go 6-8 months before one of them would be fighting another. Hearns won 6 titles in 5 different weight classes during his career, which is no small feat.

All those guys could box, and they definitely had the kind of consistent punching power that would have opened up Mayweather's eyes, at least right up until the point that he went down and his eyes shut.
IMO, it's fair to call FM the greatest of his era and one of the best defensive boxers of all time. I'm just not sure he belongs in the class of guys you mentioned. But he's still 49-0 against real boxers and beat a great UFC guy despite coming out of retirement and being old enough to be a grandfather.
Old 1 September 2017, 21:56
Confirmed User

^^Mayweather ducked Pac until after he got knocked out a couple times.
Old 1 September 2017, 23:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
^^Mayweather ducked Pac until after he got knocked out a couple times.
That he did.

Did you hear Pac backed out of the rematch with Horn? He's a senator now and his duties interfere with the rematch.
Old 2 September 2017, 21:16
Been There Done That

The Mayweather vs McGregor fight is just starting (1815 PDT) on Showtime if anyone is interested.
Old 4 September 2017, 22:59
#AllLionsMatter

Lightbulb LMAO! Look at this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
My biggest problem with Floyd Mayweather is that he cherry picked many of his opponents, or waited until a point in both their careers so that he would have had an advantage.
After running around the world in the military and or contracting for +30 years! I'm not about too chase some fucker up a mountain for shits and grins.

I'd fight an ISIS/Taliban child/teenager or over 70y/o in a minute for what I get paid for today, however; 20-30y/o? Ya'll younger folks can have at it!

Quote:
My mind says yes, however, my body says; keep fucking up and your ass will be crippled for good!
Just thinking out loud...

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 6 September 2017, 17:18
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
After running around the world in the military and or contracting for +30 years! I'm not about too chase some fucker up a mountain for shits and grins.

I'd fight an ISIS/Taliban child/teenager or over 70y/o in a minute for what I get paid for today, however; 20-30y/o? Ya'll younger folks can have at it!

Just thinking out loud...
That was the shrewd move, and Mayweather certainly understood that part of the boxing game, probably better than any boxer who came before him.

I was just thinking out loud too, in terms of how those guys in the 80s went at it. No way Floyd could have kept ducking them and stayed relevant.

They were really the only competition out there worth fighting, and anybody who turned down a bout with any of them wouldn't be considered a contender for anything but the "coulda woulda shoulda" category.

Floyd was savvy in that he knew when to pick his spots and schedule his bouts. Problem for him back then would have been he wouldn't have really been afforded that luxury, there always would have been Hagler/Hearns/Leonard/Duran waiting right around the corner.

Our new posting rules