SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 September 2019, 07:03
Confronting the Reckoning

I am sorry for your loss, DaveP. It just came on the national news. May you, the family and friends find solace.
Old 17 September 2019, 07:19
Confirmed User

jportal50 & DaveP, my thoughts are with you, and prayers are out.

jportal50, if you don't mind sharing, how old are you?

“To look around at what you have accomplished in a day gives a man a good feeling. Too many men work on parts of things. Doing a job to completion satisfies me.”- Richard Proenneke
Old 17 September 2019, 07:33

Many thanks all, will pass on thoughts to the family.
True to form, his wife is focusing her worry on the remaining injured men and their outcomes; there were four generations around the house yesterday; and the story-telling got started - their way of dealing, always has been.

Saw the scene today, massive.
And yes, he and his brother, having done this forever, would think nothing of gearing up first; due to it being fair week, they were still on shift until the 'young' guys came on a bit later. It's a wired-tight, squared-away dept for a small town, partly because of the college, and despite being almost entirely vol.

Good thoughts out to the EMTs, Lifeflight, and ER/surgery staffs taking care of the rest of the team.
DaveP
Old 17 September 2019, 11:03
Did...did I do that?

DaveP, sorry for your loss. Grace and peace and strength in the days ahead.
Old 17 September 2019, 11:19
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportal50 View Post

The C word: I have it....
Stay strong, jportal...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 17 September 2019, 16:11
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Bad day.
Defacto FIL for the last 18+ years, lifelong and multi-gen FF, killed in a gas explosion just as they were stacking to enter after the building was evac'd. Just the best guy - gone.
His brother, just behind, was in sx today, several others also at various facilities here and in Boston.

Terrible to see the family having to deal; they're tough but next few days will be rugged.

DaveP
Prayers out to the FF families. Stay strong brother.
Old 17 September 2019, 18:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Bad day.
Defacto FIL for the last 18+ years, lifelong and multi-gen FF, killed in a gas explosion just as they were stacking to enter after the building was evac'd. Just the best guy - gone.
His brother, just behind, was in sx today, several others also at various facilities here and in Boston.

Terrible to see the family having to deal; they're tough but next few days will be rugged.

DaveP
I'm sorry for your loss.
Old Today, 07:32
Freelancer

Dave, sorry for your loss.

Gym rats that fuck with equipment. My gym has a speed bag that people use. Got a few powerlift types that whine the noise is distracting. Find the bag deflated and have a meltdown. Second bag this year wrecked by some dickstain none took me up on offer to step out back. Pretty much told them they can't lift through some noise go do Crossshit or join planet fagness.

Who needs steroids to have rage?
Old Today, 09:12
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Dave, sorry for your loss.

Gym rats that fuck with equipment. My gym has a speed bag that people use. Got a few powerlift types that whine the noise is distracting. Find the bag deflated and have a meltdown. Second bag this year wrecked by some dickstain none took me up on offer to step out back. Pretty much told them they can't lift through some noise go do Crossshit or join planet fagness.

Who needs steroids to have rage?
Cameras. If people know they are being watched they are less likely to fuck around. And no, it isn't an "invasion of privacy" in common spaces.
Most of the folks I have seen at the gym are wearing headphones while they work out. I need them to block out the constant blathering of the soccer moms that just go to the gym to socialize. They work really well.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John
Old Today, 09:25
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberChick View Post
...I need them to block out the constant blathering of the soccer moms that just go to the gym to socialize...
You mean the soccer moms that go to the gym in their "fashion show" (yoga pants, warm-up jacket, full make up, and shoes fresh outta the box). I wouldn't be surprised if they cracked open a bottle of Pinot Grigio, sat down on the bench press and began the Chatty Kathy routine. Then they head home and say to their husbands and friends, "I went to the gym today".
Old Today, 09:36
Violence of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
You mean the soccer moms that go to the gym in their "fashion show" (yoga pants, warm-up jacket, full make up, and shoes fresh outta the box). I wouldn't be surprised if they cracked open a bottle of Pinot Grigio, sat down on the bench press and began the Chatty Kathy routine. Then they head home and say to their husbands and friends, "I went to the gym today".
That's like the tools that walk around the gym with their gallon jug of water and still have the same gallon full at the end of their workout. I guess they think it makes them look harder....
Old Today, 09:42
33,024 - R.I.P.

My wife, who does actually work out, still puts on her war paint before going to the gym or yoga. I think about asking why, but then remember the old saying..."You can be happy, or you can be right." So, I just walk away and shake my head.
Old Today, 10:14
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
That's like the tools that walk around the gym with their gallon jug of water and still have the same gallon full at the end of their workout. I guess they think it makes them look harder....
Hahahaha! so true. The part that irks me is two wrecked speedbags in two months. It's not like Ernie Shavers is using the damn thing.
Going to suggest members sign out speedbag to use it. Hopefully that stops the bullshit.

Our new posting rules