Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 25 April 2012, 07:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Yoda View Post
Question if anyone can answer...
I have gout, which has resulted in damage to my joint in the big toe. They are going to do a surgery to cut a section of the bone out and then screw the shortened bone back together..so that hopefully the joint isn't grinding on itself anymore. I tried deciphering the VA chart...but i couldn't really figure it all out. Anyone know if this is something i can get some sort of disability rating on? I know ill be taking meds for the gout for the rest of my life..and not too sure what my foot will be feeling like.

Thanks in advance
I would anticipate that as long as your documentation is good (it probably will be) you will receive a service connected disability for this. What the percentage i, I don't know. Have your medical people check your AHLTA (computerized medical records) to ensure it is in there the way it should be. While they're in there ask them to make copies of everything, as AHLT is serving basically as your medical record these days. Regards, Bob

Fair Winds and Following Seas SOTB & Cass
Old 25 April 2012, 09:20
Been There Done That

Mr. Yoda
Take a look at this, if you have any questions drop me an pm.
Topp

Gout has a diagnostic code of 5017. This is the breakdown of the VA Compensation chart for the rating of gout:

The diseases under diagnostic codes 5013 through 5024 will be rated on limitation of motion of affected parts, as arthritis, degenerative, except gout which will be rated under diagnostic code 5002.

5002Arthritis rheumatoid (atrophic) As an active process:
With constitutional manifestations associated with active joint involvement, totally incapacitating 100

Less than criteria for 100% but with weight loss and anemia productive of severe impairment of health or severely incapacitating exacerbations occurring 4 or more times a year or a lesser number over prolonged periods
Symptom combinations productive of definite impairment of health objectively supported by examination findings or incapacitating exacerbations occurring 3 or more times a year
One or two exacerbations a year in a well-established diagnosis
For chronic residuals:
Old 29 April 2012, 17:11
Been There Done That

Thanks for all the good advice everyone.
Old 3 May 2012, 21:49

I just retired and i am just waiting on my claim to be awarded. I have claimed hearing loss, chronic headaches, knee, neck pains and i am blind in one eye due to an IED in 2004. I know i can not get anything less than 30%.
Old 4 May 2012, 08:35
Been There Done That

Ranger:
What is your eyesight in the other eye? The VA rating takes in consideration of the "good eye". I can send you the charts if you want them.
Old 10 May 2012, 08:43

my right eye is 20/20. i know just for being blind in one is 30%, i would like to know just what my total percentage is gonna be. I also suffer from chronic headaches. i have had them for 8 years and i am not able to get an MRI due to the shrapnel in my head.. knees, neck a broken foot a few other things that i have claimed.
Old 10 May 2012, 09:16
Been There Done That

Sent PM with chart

Last edited by Stopp700; 10 May 2012 at 09:19. Reason: used pm instead
Old 10 May 2012, 19:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdmr09 View Post
my right eye is 20/20. i know just for being blind in one is 30%, i would like to know just what my total percentage is gonna be. I also suffer from chronic headaches. i have had them for 8 years and i am not able to get an MRI due to the shrapnel in my head.. knees, neck a broken foot a few other things that i have claimed.
e-CFR Data is current as of April 1, 2012

Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

PART 4—SCHEDULE FOR RATING DISABILITIES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section Contents

Subpart A—General Policy in Rating

Subpart B—Disability Ratings
Old 15 May 2012, 03:31

Excellent posts, lots of information here gents. I have a question in regards to appealing your VA disability rating. I didn't see anybody touch base on it in this forum, but if I missed it excuse me for the repeat.
Is it true that your current disability rating compensation gets put on hold while you are in the appeal process? And, if your appeal goes through and you are granted a higher rating, do you get back pay from the date you filed your original claim, or is it back pay from the day you filed your appeal? I have looked around on other sites, and have seen a million different answers to this. The VA seems to be pretty good about being vague and indefinite on their website as to how this kind of stuff works..
On a side note, I was under the impression that there was "unemployable 100%" and "service connected 100%". If you are SC 100% you can work without any restrictions, but if you are Unemployable 100%, you can't have gainful employment. Can anyone shed light on this issue for me? If that's the case, I'd rather not roll the dice and end up getting 100% unemployable, because I'd feel like a POS for the rest of my life. I wouldn't mind 100% SC though, if that's the case :).
Old 17 May 2012, 08:19
Been There Done That

DIV
If you are being downgraded on your service connection % and make an appeal to stop it the answer is yes it does not change. It only changes when you get the DRO statement and answer. If you appeal with in the 1yr time period of the decision and you get upgraded it goes back to the date of claim. You just have to remember that the VA has specific time periods on all appeals. You must stay within these or you loose the date of claim/appeal date.

Individual unemployablility (UI) is where the VA makes up the differance from your service connected % to the 100% rate. There are some requirements to get UI though. You must have 60% in one disability to get qualified (but then again all things can be waived...). Your Dr/VA Dr. must reccommend you for UI. Once you get it you can not work full time. There is a yearly $$$$ amount, I do not know what it is though. Sorry. For full 100% service connected you can work as much as you like. But, at 100% you might be pretty messed up to work. Ok, I think I have explained this as clear as mud.
Old 17 May 2012, 21:59
odoylerules
Visitor

Regarding IU:

"38 CFR 4.16(a) provides that marginal employment is generally deemed to exist when a Veteran’s earned income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S. Census Bureau as the average poverty threshold for one person.

Reference: For more information on the U.S. Census Bureau’s poverty thresholds, see http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/data/historical/ people.html."

from http://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/doc..._ii_2_secF.doc
Old 19 May 2012, 04:11

Solid Copy, thanks gents.
Old 19 May 2012, 18:05

I've got a 70 and 3 tens. Total 80. That was from my first look in Montgomery, Al. Nice staff and great doctors. I dont want to try and push for more claims and mess up what I have. I'm just quietly receiving my payments.
Old 19 May 2012, 18:08

I only know one guy out of 36 vets at my job that received 100 percent. He got it the hard way,cancer. I wouldn't trade with him for anything in the world.
Old 20 May 2012, 02:53

I have a few very close friends that have pretty high ratings (60-90%) but none that I know of that are 100. I am nowhere near that high. The guys that have those ratings aren't missing limbs, and they're not terminally ill. I thought that high of a disability rating was strictly for those types of injuries, but I guess I was wrong. I have noticed it to be a very taboo subject, people don't really like to talk about it. I don't know what the hell happened to these guys or why there ratings are so high. Perhaps it's mental stuff, not all wounds are visible. When people ask me what my percentage is, I reply with something along the lines of "that's private man." I have only shared it with a few very close friends. I can see how someone would be bitter towards someone who has a high rating, with no serious visible disabilities. Another reason why I think I'm better of just keeping what I have and being thankful that I have it in the first place. I know that if you're the light duty commando with an 80% rating like my buddy, you can get DQ'd from police jobs. I thought this kind of medical information was private and protected under the HIIPA act. Apparently not, he get DQ'd from a PD for this. (He had to sign a release waiver allowing them to look into his medical files.) I am not sure if he was disqualified for mental reasons, or physical. Maybe he has PTSD on his VA documents. Does anybody have any first hand experience or able to shed any light on disability rating/mental issues/medical documents DQ'ing from sworn gun holder positions?
Old 21 May 2012, 13:50

I don't believe they see compensation and pension documents. Only treatment records. Most companies have disabled vet policies along with all the other equal opportunity measures. However, any job requiring guns asks the question of treatment of a mental illness.It is a yes or no answer on the page.

Our new posting rules