SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Medal of Honor

Old 16 August 2011, 06:36
The Gunner

Sgt Dakota Meyer

http://www.marines.mil/community/Pag...pid=banner_MOH

Links to USMC.mil site

Sgt Dakota Meyer is scheduled to receive the Medal of Honor at a ceremony on September 15th.
Old 16 August 2011, 16:52
Ne Obliviscaris

Outstanding and congrats Sgt. Meyer. From the citation...sounds like he damn sure earned it and then some. Semper Fi.
Old 15 September 2011, 16:21

I took time out and watched the whole ceremony (Fox showed it live). His driver SSgt. Juan Rodriguez-Chavez (who was awarded the Navy Cross) was present along with a bunch of dudes from his unit. POTUS took time during his presentation to mention each of the fallen Americans who died that day.

He was only 21 years old when it went down. I am always amazed, but never surprised when I hear the stories of our courageous Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines.
Old 15 September 2011, 16:32
Been There Done That

Thank you for your service to our Great Nation and God bless the United States Marine Corps...including Marines past and present.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 15 September 2011, 16:39
I aim to misbehave

Harder than woodpecker lips. He should never have to buy another beer, as long as hel lives.

While true:
Continue
Old 15 September 2011, 16:39

He seemed to be thrilled to meet the President. I'm glad he got to. I would be thrilled to meet him. Not long ago the combat vets were old men and I was a youngster. Now I am an old man and the vets are all youngsters. My thanks to him and all you guys for your service. It's a lot more important than most know.
Old 15 September 2011, 19:34
Been There Done That

An Awesome Marine!

Last edited by agonyea; 22 July 2013 at 19:49.
Old 15 September 2011, 19:52
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Harder than woodpecker lips. He should never have to buy another beer, as long as hel lives.
Also harder than a Chinese crossword puzzle

Congrats Devildog, very proud of you and all the heroes with you that day.
Old 16 September 2011, 01:56

Outstanding and congrats Sgt. Meyer.
Old 16 September 2011, 06:05
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

freakin STUD
Old 16 September 2011, 09:34
Secure The Victory!

Awesome and amazing job
Old 17 September 2011, 20:14
0311/8651

SEMPER FIDELIS
Old 17 September 2011, 23:45

What a great kid... and now, great young man. Congrats Marine!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for the governing of any other. -John Adams
Old 18 September 2011, 13:39

Semper Fi Brother
Old 25 September 2011, 16:50
RIP SOTB, CASS

I saw an article in today's paper that Dakota wants to be a NYC Firefighter. With all the running around since receiving his MOH, he missed the deadline. Folks took up the cause and now the city will go to court tomorrow and ask a Judge to reopen the filing for a short window so he can can submit his application. I hope it all works out.
Old 25 September 2011, 17:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack78 View Post
I saw an article in today's paper that Dakota wants to be a NYC Firefighter. With all the running around since receiving his MOH, he missed the deadline. Folks took up the cause and now the city will go to court tomorrow and ask a Judge to reopen the filing for a short window so he can can submit his application. I hope it all works out.
Well, that answered my question: I thought he was already discharged from the Marines and on Reserve status.(?)

Congratulations anyway!
Old 25 September 2011, 17:05
RIP SOTB, CASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Well, that answered my question: I thought he was already discharged from the Marines and on Reserve status.(?)

Congratulations anyway!
Chief, he is. He works construction. The filing deadline was last week.
Old 27 September 2011, 07:36
RIP SOTB, CASS

Well, it seems that this young man doesn't want any special consideration. I hope he changes his mind and allows NYC the honor of having him protect us. Best of luck in whatever direction he chooses to take.
Old 27 September 2011, 08:03
Odin's Underling

Congratulations young Marine. Thanks for your service to this great nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmonger View Post
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely won’t be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 27 September 2011, 08:05

Quote:
Judge is going to re-open the filing. A 24 hour window will be opened for any applicants interested in applying.

The least that can be done for this warrior...
Old 27 September 2011, 08:15
RIP SOTB, CASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger17516 View Post
Judge is going to re-open the filing. A 24 hour window will be opened for any applicants interested in applying.

The least that can be done for this warrior...
Hmm, according to today's Daily News, the judge said he would open the process to just Dakota. Dakota's lawyer and FDNY members asked for 24hrs for everybody. Judge said, no, just Dakota, who said, no special treatment.
Old 27 September 2011, 09:11

Quote:
Hmm, according to today's Daily News, the judge said he would open the process to just Dakota. Dakota's lawyer and FDNY members asked for 24hrs for everybody. Judge said, no, just Dakota, who said, no special treatment.
My statement was based off yesterdays news...in any event I hope he gets the job he wants.
Old 27 September 2011, 10:16
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I believe this thread has been hijacked, although I think the hijack is a worthwhile discussion. I hope the mods/admins chop the posts from this thread to another, and allow us to continue the discussion. Personally, I think it would be a great topic for the Lounge.

Now for my comment(s).

From an earlier post, it appears Meyer missed the deadline for applying for the FD position because of his MOH ceremony activities. Hmm. Seriously? The window for applying was so short, that Meyer could not apply and attend the MOH ceremonies? Or did he find out about the position while participating in the award stuff (ie, NY firefighters/police mentioned it to him) and the clock was already well underway on the applying period?

So he asks for an exception to the applying time period. But the exception needs to be for everyone -- because -- "hey, I'm not special." Right. And then when the judge gives him what he essentially wants, time to apply, he balks and once again says he isn't special.

I think Sgt Meyer is a no-doubt badass, who did some amazing things which we as a country are fortunate to be in a position to recognize. I also think he is showing an immature ASSitude. It is the same stuff he showed when called by the POTUS on the phone, but which he refused to answer because he was working. Seriously, I think one can take the "I'm not special" stuff to a point where it gets old.

He missed the window on the NYFD position, he can wait until it opens again, or apply somewhere else. And since he isn't looking for any special treatment, no biggee, right?
Old 27 September 2011, 21:49
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
I
I think Sgt Meyer is a no-doubt badass, who did some amazing things which we as a country are fortunate to be in a position to recognize. I also think he is showing an immature ASSitude. It is the same stuff he showed when called by the POTUS on the phone, but which he refused to answer because he was working. Seriously, I think one can take the "I'm not special" stuff to a point where it gets old.

Valid point on the last sentence above... but with all due respect, I think the ASSitude comment is out of line.

(Not trying to hijack or cause an argument in a place where I am a guest.)

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 3 October 2011, 21:01

I think I should give some background on what is happening in the FDNY. We are currently being sued buy the DOJ and the Vulcan society.(Fraternal order of black firefighters) . We have a dept. that is 93% white and a few people have a problem with that. Apparently hiring the best people for the job regardless of color is a problem for them. They want racial quotas and a written exam that is tantamount to handing out a coloring book to qualify for the job.This case has been going on and on for years now. This Judge is literally out of his mind. Anyway, he told Dakota Meyer that if he opened up the filing period for everyone it would have a disparate impact(1967 civil rites act) on minorities in New York City. I know that sounds kind of funny but this is his logic. He says that the FDNY would not have enough time to go out and recruit blacks in the city during this time. Its a crazy thing. We have a job that has about 50,000 people taking the written exams and he thinks we have to recruit people. This is why Dakota Meyer said no. He wanted no special treatment. Just Google the whole case if you want more info...
Old 10 October 2011, 21:20
Bland user

He is an outstanding man. Good sense of humor too.

Interview on Letterman. http://youtu.be/SSWCw95TP0s
Old 28 October 2011, 01:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe723 View Post
He is an outstanding man. Good sense of humor too.

Interview on Letterman. http://youtu.be/SSWCw95TP0s
Holy...

That was the funniest interview I've seen Letterman do in a long time.
Old 29 November 2011, 13:05

Be interesting to see how the latest installment of the Sgt. Dakota Meyer saga shakes out.

Quote:
Decorated Marine Sues Contractor

Two months ago, Dakota Meyer was awarded the Medal of Honor by President Barack Obama for his service in Afghanistan, the military's most prestigious award. On Monday, Sgt. Meyer alleged that a defense contractor has called him mentally unstable and a problem drinker, ruining his chances for a job in the defense industry.

In legal papers filed Monday, the Marine claims that BAE Systems, where he worked earlier this year, retaliated against him after he raised objections about BAE's alleged decision to sell high-tech sniper scopes to the Pakistani military. He says his supervisor at BAE effectively blocked his hiring by another defense contractor by making the claims about drinking and his mental condition.

Sgt. Meyer's complaint is likely to pose a more difficult challenge for BAE, a British company with extensive U.S. operations, than a typical employment dispute. In the September White House ceremony, Sgt. Meyer was hailed for braving enemy fire as he tried to save the lives of fellow Marines who had been trapped in a Taliban ambush.

BAE said it would defend itself, but comments by BAE officials Monday made clear they don't want to be seen as denigrating a Medal of Honor recipient. "Although we strongly disagree with his claims, which we will address through the appropriate legal process, we wish him success and good fortune in his endeavors," said Brian J. Roehrkasse, a BAE spokesman. He declined to discuss any specifics of the suit.

Through a lawyer, Sgt. Meyer declined to comment on his suit. Representatives of the Pentagon and Marine Corps said they weren't aware of the suit.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
Old 29 November 2011, 15:08
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soot
Be interesting to see how the latest installment of the Sgt. Dakota Meyer saga shakes out.
I agree. I'm surprised at BAE's actions, even if they are true (based on recent comments, I'm not going to be surprised if it is shown that Sgt Meyer has some of the issues mentioned -- although I certainly have not seen anything that demos evidence that he does, either).

No, to Me, the interesting issue is BAE and just simple HR practices. Really? You gonna put yourself out there in writing and block someone from getting a job elsewhere? Wow. I see blood in the water for a solid HR-focused lawyer. Of course, BAE might be of the opinion that their being a Brit company insulates them from lawsuits. Or that their ties to DC lobbyists protect them. Maybe. Sgt Meyer has certainly given them some ability to sway a jury -- ASSuming that it ever got to such a state.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Oh, and Sgt Meyer was correct to wonder aloud at why we are selling the fucking Pakis anything more technologically advanced than dirt....
Old 29 November 2011, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Oh, and Sgt Meyer was correct to wonder aloud at why we are selling the fucking Pakis anything more technologically advanced than dirt....
Yeah, I agree.

And it's pretty clear that Sgt. Meyer marches to the beat of his own drum so even if it isn't standard corporate SOP I'm not surprised to see that he did.

But it seems like he made his objections, got blown off, pushed his objections, got blown off, and then decided to end his association with the company.

The article doesn't state, and at no point has it come to my attention (via the media), that Sgt. Meyer made his dissatisfaction with the policy known outside of the company (i.e. he wasn't publicly talking shit about BAE).

Seems kind of harsh for BAE to do what they did.

If the guy was a complete non-performer I could maybe see them saying, "Hey, you may wanna steer clear of the guy", but to go on the record stating that he's "mentally unstable and a problem drinker"?

You got more than an HR manager/first-line supervisor's opinion on that? Like maybe a psychiatrist's/psycologist's diagnosis?

I see BAE settling for $$$.

Last edited by Soot; 29 November 2011 at 16:15.

Our new posting rules