SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 31 July 2019, 19:19
been ***** **** that

I was just thinking about the tick thing on livestock. I can't recall any of the horses we had in hunting camp with any ticks, cuz I would have noticed. I groomed them diligently and was always looking for injuries. I never noticed any on the cows I had to put down here on the farm. Holsteins are so big and have so many birthing issues, and when one gets injured it is often fatal. Noxious weeds around here occur more from logging practices and roadside maintenance practices, imho, but I am no expert.
Old 7 August 2019, 09:37
Shakin' the bush Boss

Mid summer stuff starting to hit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1239.JPG (125.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1240.JPG (97.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 7 August 2019, 10:16
Confirmed User

What kind of blueberries do you grow? We're hoping to plant some this fall.
Old 7 August 2019, 10:19
Shakin' the bush Boss

Not sure the actual designation. I caught a farm going out of business up here about 25 years ago and bought 4 mature bushes from them and they've been cooking along every since. I live in Christmas tree country, so I bought them dug with a commercial tree digger and transplanted them to my place. If we have an expert here I can post a pic of the bushes.
Old 7 August 2019, 10:31
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Thank you. You know what they say about idle hands and all. It's nut cutting time this week as soon as I can figure out how to distract momma long enough to get the four boars away.

Have your pole beans started climbing yet? I think I'm going to put some of these in next year. I remember reading about how all three kind of feed each other with the beans being a nitrogen fixer. I need to get a trellis built for my pumpkins and winter squash.
The pole beans are inundated with Japanese beatles. Quite literally thousands of them. We are using the traps, but they fill in a few hours. We have reverted to using WalMart bags as the trap there are so many of them. They are still flowering however. Bush beans have started to produce already.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 7 August 2019 at 23:28.
Old 7 August 2019, 10:33
Hard to Kill

Quote:
What kind of blueberries do you grow? We're hoping to plant some this fall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Not sure the actual designation. I caught a farm going out of business up here about 25 years ago and bought 4 mature bushes from them and they've been cooking along every since. I live in Christmas tree country, so I bought them dug with a commercial tree digger and transplanted them to my place. If we have an expert here I can post a pic of the bushes.
We have blue berries as well, no joy this year, as we just planted them in the spring. I will check on the model we are using.
Old 7 August 2019, 10:46
Shakin' the bush Boss

I try not to use pesticides, but the Japanese beetles were killing my cherry and peach trees, so I had to go that route to save the trees. This was last year, we didn't have them much this year.
Old 7 August 2019, 10:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
We have blue berries as well, no joy this year, as we just planted them in the spring. I will check on the model we are using.
I'm trying to wait till the fall and hopefully pickup some end of the year plants and fruit trees that didn't sell. I had been looking at the difference in high bush vs low bush.

So far we have been pretty pest free, not to put my foot in my mouth. I remember catching those beetles as a kid and tying sewing thread to their legs and flying them around. I had relinquished garden duties to the wife till last night and in two days the squash and melons had tripled. Had to do some serious trellising. First ripe mater as well.

My Dad swears by Dawn dish detergent and peppermint oil as an insecticide.
Old 7 August 2019, 13:37
been ***** **** that

Quote:
The pole beans are inundated with Japanese beatles. Quite literally thousands of them. We are using the traps, but they fill in a few hours. We have reverted to using WalMart bags as the trap there are so many of them. They are still flowering however. Bush beans have started to produce already.
We had a plague of Japanese beetles this year. Entire vines, trees , etc. were decimated. Ma finally had to spray the cukes just to salvage some. I mean every plant on the property had them, entire vines of wild grapes were consumed. A few years back when they and the potato bugs were ravaging the garden I went through with my little shop vac and sucked em off the plants. Actually worked pretty well. Just don't leave em in the canister for too long!
Old 7 August 2019, 23:34
Hard to Kill

Today's efforts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg squash and elderberries.jpg (35.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 8 August 2019, 11:17
Confirmed User

Elderberries bottom right?
Old 29 September 2019, 02:56
Confirmed User

https://www.newsweek.com/montana-win...eather-1461945

We only got skiff today, but it caught me off guard having to cover the new starts that just came up.
Old 29 September 2019, 10:34
been ***** **** that

Ya those early season snow storms sure can get a person off guard. I loved hunting first season rifle in October with fresh snow on the ground. I would ride till I found some fresh bull tracks , and hopefully the wind would be in my favor, tie up the horse and hit the trail. I could usually nail one circling around on a bench somewhere getting ready to take a nap! It was cool.
Old 29 September 2019, 11:02
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Elderberries bottom right?
Sorry, Yes. Last year we got about 10 gallons, this year we got about 35 gallons, with new bushes coming in for next year.

What have really been going crazy are the beans and cukes. We have about 5 gallons of pickles and more than 10 gallons of green beans. Blackberries did well, as did the elderberries. A very few blueberries, but we did finally get some peaches that were super tasty. We also did well with the squash and beans in the 3 sisters, but the corn failed, we got about 5 ears total. A few watermelons and cantaloupes, but we did get a shit ton of cooking pumpkins.

Other crops were some peppers (We had TONS of every type last year) a few tomatoes and some strawberries, early on. We also got some peas. I will post some pix later today.
Old 29 September 2019, 16:30
been ***** **** that

Our peppers did well, can't remember when they did poorly. The tomatoes produced a ton but we ate maybe a dozen at best. They got some sort of blight. With all the rain and the weeds this year Ma's butt got kicked. She is done with the gardening except some tubs I use for a few herbs and salad stuff. I am seeding the rest of the garden with grass in a few weeks. It'll all get mowed now which is kind of sad. We have had a huge garden since I was knee high to a duck!
Old 29 September 2019, 16:33
Shakin' the bush Boss

We had a pretty good year with ours. Ate out of it all summer and canned a bunch of beans and potatoes.
Old 29 September 2019, 22:04
Hard to Kill

Some squash, beans, pickles, lots of jam and jelly and syrup.
Attached Images
File Type: png Graden Produce.png (1.64 MB, 29 views)
Old 29 September 2019, 22:06
Hard to Kill

Quote:
We had a pretty good year with ours. Ate out of it all summer and canned a bunch of beans and potatoes.
I am like a little kid digging up potatoes. The sweet potatoes are about ready.
Old 29 September 2019, 22:27
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Some squash, beans, pickles, lots of jam and jelly and syrup.
I am sincerely envious of that pantry! That is outstanding....
Old 29 September 2019, 23:17
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I am sincerely envious of that pantry! That is outstanding....
HH6 has been busy canning, We have at least as much if not more in the freezer. (Beans etc, not jelly)

Our new posting rules