SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 26 January 2016, 23:47
I am into Champagne

A trained eye can aid in deduction- even when the telling evidence is a lack of evidence that should be there.

If the contest involves strategic-level technology- I would not bet against USA for a long span of years.

Respectfully,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 24 January 2019, 14:36
Confirmed User

I am just wrapping up this book and really enjoyed. I never bough into the Roswell-Alien thing but the details in her book about the various programs was great.

The personal stories added like the General flying home DC in the evenings he wanted to go home or using the rescue helicopter to get up in the mountains to go hunting were great.

The AEC being the funding blanket for so many programs because they could be "born classified" was interesting.

Great book overall.

She has another book on DARPA that I will read next. If it is half as revealing as AREA 51, it should be good too.
Old 24 January 2019, 14:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
A trained eye can aid in deduction- even when the telling evidence is a lack of evidence that should be there.

If the contest involves strategic-level technology- I would not bet against USA for a long span of years.

Respectfully,
Haven't heard much from Paul85 lately! Sorry for the hijack but?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 24 January 2019, 15:09
On the Extract Bird

I bought this book about a month ago with two others and placed them on the shelf along with my other area of "book triage."

Your post made me move it to the head of the line to begin reading this week. Also, thanks Streck for the information concerning her other book on DARPA.
Old 26 January 2019, 19:40
Back on The Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
Ha ha! I knew. I have been to Area 51 many times. I have drove the short route (thru the Atomic Bomb Area) that is adjacent, but not part of the famous Area 51, and the long route around when a shoot was getting ready to go off. Too, I have flown in from Las Vegas and Calif., both via private Company Aircraft.

I have slept, eaten, played poker, drank mucho suds, met old friends, made new friends at the Area 51. Never saw any little green, uripe men in the mess hall or inserting selves into air tight flying suits.

What most people do when they place suspicious stories on Area 51 is that the author of the BS forgets that even though there is a very wide security perimeter around Area 51, there are oodles of civilian type geek heads with 600mm lens on their cameras lining the secuity perimeter to take photos of anything that comes within range of the 600mm lens.

The funny part is that there are little vendor stands on the public roads adjacent to the entrance to the Atomic Area (first secure area entered) that sell crap to visitors to the stands. The crap that is sold is labled "authentic" and the unknowing public eats it up. "What you cannot see you will belieive if someone tells you often enough."

It is very easy to get info about Area 51 as there were over the years a rotation of (an I am guessing from my eyeball visits) approx 5 or 6 thousand personnel who have worked at Area 51. This included women at a latter stage of the "Black" operations as the Government got sued for not having female quarters for the fairer lasses.

As a side note, it is called "Area 51" because of the huge amounts of open land in upper Nevada. The wide open areas are cut into squares and labeled by numbers such as, Area 50, Area 51, Area 52 and so on. These maps and areas can be identified in most Bureau of Land Management maps that are available to the public.
I got a real kick out of some of the photos on the wall at the "canteen". One thing about that place, it sure was quiet at night. I slept like a baby. Never did see any green men, either. Saw quite a few men in black, however!

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Gen. Mattis

"Definition of insanity: Letting the government dictate what the Amendment designed to control the government - means." - Polypro

"The rules only apply when something is going wrong." -Me

"When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man" Elton John

Our new posting rules