SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 18 July 2011, 12:13
Drawing my cutlass

Thumbs up Breaking Bad

Saw it for the first time last night. Intense but at the same time quirky. One scene that stood out was when the two main characters disposed of a body in a vat of hydrochloric acid, which I think is based on a particular heinous individual who went by the moniker, "The Stew Maker."

Recommend.
Old 18 July 2011, 13:21
Confirmed User

Breaking Bad is one of my all time favorite shows. Having seen so many episodes of "Malcolm In The Middle" I cannot get over the difference in roles for Bryan Cranston. He has, in my opinion, really gone above and beyond as an actor and deservedly earned the accolades he has received for his current role. The rest of the cast is excellent as well.

I recommend that you watch the previous seasons on DVD (AMC just reran last season's episodes leading to last night's debut) to get a better understanding of how the story got to where it was last night. It will be worth it!
Old 18 July 2011, 14:07
I'm kind of a big deal

I've been watching it for a while. I think it's a brilliant concept and well done. Just enough action and humor inter-mixed...

Scotty
Old 18 July 2011, 14:19
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

Great show! I've been watching from the beginning and have been anxiously awaiting the new season, and the opener did not disappoint.

Like Typhoon said, well worth catching up to see the progression of the characters and the mistakes they have made along the way, as a former high school chemistry teacher and his street-smart former student make their way in the meth business.

Some really clever plot lines with the DEA agent brother-in-law, as well as a great mix of ultra tense moments and levity that give the show great balance.
Old 18 July 2011, 15:08
Life is simple, not easy.

Been watching from the first season. Last night was a pretty intense show. Skyler adding to the mix is an interesting development.
Old 18 July 2011, 15:28
Confirmed User

And did you guys catch the glass eyeball that Skylar found in the drawer? Remember the episode where that came from?

And I also wonder what the Lizard Lawyer is up to. It looked like he was fixing to skip town, which would be a major problem as he is running the books and doing the money laundering...
Old 18 July 2011, 17:20
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
And I also wonder what the Lizard Lawyer is up to. It looked like he was fixing to skip town, which would be a major problem as he is running the books and doing the money laundering...
The lawyer, Saul, is one of my favorite characters. Bob Odenkirk comes from a comedic background and did a series for HBO called Mr Show in the late 90's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCumH8LRo1A .

He does an awesome job playing the shady lawyer, and definitely looks spooked about something in the opener.
Old 19 July 2011, 13:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
He found it in the pool after the plane crash.
Yes, and that episode was very interesting because it opened up with the flotsam and jetsam from the midair collision, which plot wise did not occur until the end.

Quote:
He does an awesome job playing the shady lawyer...
Yes Bob Odenkirk does do a great job. It was so funny when his secretary goes into his office and he's looking for bugs under the fake greek column. If Saul decides to bolt then that could be complicated...
Old 19 July 2011, 13:45
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
Yes, and that episode was very interesting because it opened up with the flotsam and jetsam from the midair collision, which plot wise did not occur until the end.

Yes Bob Odenkirk does do a great job. It was so funny when his secretary goes into his office and he's looking for bugs under the fake greek column. If Saul decides to bolt then that could be complicated...
He won't bolt, not with Walter back in the drivers seat.

I love the tension. Walt did a bold move and managed to survive. Gus's action by killing his henchman was a well thought out move, and symbolic. Gus respects this kind of cold professionalism. It's like a living chess game, however Walt is now in a bind unless he can figure a way to even the odds so he can escape this eventually.

The story telling is kind of like Tarintino's style, mixing up the time lines and showing things that don't make much sence until you see the whole picture.

I had an oppertunity to add some technical assistance to one of the sceens, but the guy who was going to bring me on board got greedy and kept me out of the loop, such is show buisness I guess.

I consider this to be the best show on TV.
Old 19 July 2011, 14:04
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Gus's action by killing his henchman was a well thought out move.
I thought so too. Even as a neophyte to the show I recognized Gus' cold calculation (keep the 99% pure meth, but send a message that the graveyards of the world or vats of hydrochloric acid are filled with indispensibe men). Also, the look on the enforcer's face was priceless.
Old 19 July 2011, 14:24
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
I thought so too. Even as a neophyte to the show I recognized Gus' cold calculation (keep the 99% pure meth, but send a message that the graveyards of the world or vats of hydrochloric acid are filled with indispensibe men). Also, the look on the enforcer's face was priceless.
The henchman was witnessed at the murder sceen, he's now a liability to the operation.

Sure that could have been handled another way, but he was adding undo pressure on Walt with his pressence, and I'm certain Gus did not appreciate him medling with the "cooking" operation.

Killing him personaly sent a message to Walt. Walt killed his former partner whom he liked and admired, so much so he had him kicked out of the operation so he did not have to live his life as a criminal. However, Walt had no choice but to have him killed as to save himself, his family, and his partner.

Gus had no choice but to show Walt that no one is above being expendible, to include his trusted henchman. Now they both have an understanding, "it's buisness motherfucker, nothing personal.".

The "enforcer" is one of my favorite characters. Experienced to the point were the high risk stuff is almost boring. The actor pulls it off very well. Only at moments like seeing the henchman getting his throat slit do you see any surprise reaction like "oh shit, haven't seen that done before".
Old 19 July 2011, 15:04

Jesse makes a comment at the end regarding how tough it will be to find another cook, one he can trust and one who can run the lab. That makes sense and it sort of clicked for Walter, but yeah I am curious how he is going to balance the scale now that Gus holds the upper hand for now.

I think what the first show has planted is that the stakes are getting higher and Walter is rising to the challenge, but I just think all the dumb ass retarded mistakes of Jesse are going to multiply with Skyler and Saul getting more deeply involved.

This is going to turn out to be a really intense season if they do it correctly.

Season 4 Trailer

Oh and the scene with Hank and Marie where he needs the bed pan? Brutal.
Old 19 July 2011, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
Gus had no choice but to show Walt that no one is above being expendible, to include his trusted henchman. Now they both have an understanding, "it's buisness motherfucker, nothing personal.".
Which is also a message that Walt should have taken care of Jesse when Gus asked him to. By getting rid of the henchman he shows Gus that he is willing to go pretty deep into this thing.

I am curious what those Lab Notes are going to mean - the ones they found invesitgating Gale's death in the final scene.

Last edited by Sigi; 19 July 2011 at 15:19.
Old 19 July 2011, 15:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Only at moments like seeing the henchman getting his throat slit do you see any surprise reaction like "oh shit, haven't seen that done before".
The look on his face during that scene was priceless! That was incredible acting.

Quote:
I am curious what those Lab Notes are going to mean - the ones they found invesitgating Gale's death in the final scene.
Me too. During the final scene when the camera angle cleverly turns down to the coffee table and you see the innocent looking school type folder with the lightning bolts on them you think, "Ruh roe, this could be trouble!"

Quote:
Oh and the scene with Hank and Marie where he needs the bed pan? Brutal.
And don't you wonder if Hank is going to have an impact on what happens this season or is he completely out of the picture as far as the main plot is concerned?

Quote:
I consider this to be the best show on TV.
Yeah, as I think of it you are right Matchanu...
Old 19 July 2011, 16:09
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
Which is also a message that Walt should have taken care of Jesse when Gus asked him to. By getting rid of the henchman he shows Gus that he is willing to go pretty deep into this thing.

True, but by Walt refusing to kill Jesse, he showed loyalty in the face of extreme reprecussions.

I think Gus may eventually respect that, then again, maybe not.
Old 19 July 2011, 16:22
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I don't subscribe to cable, so I'm a season behind, currently waiting on the DVD of the 3rd season.

I love the whole premise of the show, and the casting of Bryan Cranston as Walt was brilliant. The last guy you would suspect of starting an operation like this. A show like this can't go on forever, and I'm really looking forward to how they eventually wrap things up.
Old 19 July 2011, 19:22

You know when Skyler faked the emotional breakdown with the locksmith ("I need a locksmith -- I don't know, pick one") to get into Walt's condo, and then was cool as ice after the guy left - she is going to have her own version of 'breaking bad.'

There is something about her character's acceptance of the reality that leads me to believe she is going to turn into - I don't want to say the next Gus because that isn't good for the show - but she may be leading this band of misfits soon enough.

And I wonder about the name of the Chicken place that Gus owns. Who is the brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I don't subscribe to cable, so I'm a season behind, currently waiting on the DVD of the 3rd season.
I am not positive, but I am pretty sure you can go HERE and watch the previous episode a day or two after it has played on AMC.
Old 19 July 2011, 20:58
Unemployed Stunt Double

Best show on TV, been watching it since day one. As Jon Hamm says on the ads for "Breaking Bad," "You can tell this is not going to end well." I'm hoping they have Walt kill and replace Gus, and become the primary distributor for ABQ.
Old 19 July 2011, 21:08
Been There Done That

I like Mad Men as well, AMC is right up there with HBO when it comes to original series. I'm a season behind too.
Old 24 July 2011, 13:11
Authorized Personnel

Breaking Bad

Awesome show, been watching since season 1. Great premise and wish I'd thought of it. The character development is genius. Definitely my favorite show on TV.

I'd also highly recommend The Walking Dead, which like BB is on AMC channel. The second season is premiering in October.

Jim

Our new posting rules