SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 24 August 2019, 01:56

Purchasing advice please.

I hope this is an ok topic -- please delete if not.

Folks,

I’m a civilian looking to purchase an all-around revolver for target range shooting and home defense. I’m looking for a reliable jack-of-all-trades, but am woefully ignorant on calibers and models. I don’t mind spending a little extra money for quality and reliability, and would be grateful for your thoughts. Bonus if you can recommend shops in the Pacific NW.

Thanking you.
Old 24 August 2019, 02:34
Red Headed Stepchild

Why a revolver?
Old 24 August 2019, 07:21
Authorized Personnel

Ruger GP 100.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation. -Me
Old 24 August 2019, 07:30
Freelancer

K frame S&W made before 1982. Examples Model 19-2 or 66-2.

If you can't find either of them a 586 or 686 without the lock. Do not buy a Smith with the lock.
Old 24 August 2019, 08:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
K frame S&W made before 1982. Examples Model 19-2 or 66-2.

If you can't find either of them a 586 or 686 without the lock. Do not buy a Smith with the lock.
This too!

I focused my GP100 recommendation based upon current production, ability to take many sizes of grips, and use .38 or .357 magnum allowing you go to from mild to wild.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation. -Me
Old 24 August 2019, 12:51
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2600 View Post

I’m a civilian looking to purchase an all-around revolver for... home defense.
I second the "why a revolver"? No modern force, Mil or LE, uses revolvers. You are handicapping yourself in every way by going with a revolver. Harder to shoot, harder to control, limited in capacity, harder to reload (plus under stress to boot), harder to conceal... in 2019, the "reliability" thing is a red herring.

Dispel the notion that you will only have 1 attacker, and that he will run at the mere sight of a gun, OR go down after 1 or 2 rounds

Quote:
According to the CBS affiliate in Texas a woman awoke during the night to discover there were two criminals in her home. At age age 61 she had rehearsed these types of events in her mind many times and was ready to react.

She did what most of us would do. She retrieved her firearm and when confronted she began to fire. She injured one of her attackers and that is when her nightmare really began.

When she ran out of ammunition the attackers heard the “click click” of the gun and the uninjured one took advantage of that moment:

"He must of heard me clicking it because that’s when he came back and beat me up really bad,” said the woman.

The second attacker moved in and began to assault her. She suffered a concussion and her face was covered was cuts and bruises. Its anyone's worst nightmare.

Both suspects were arrested later that day when the injured criminal sought out medical attention at a nearby hospital.

She had a Revolver - P
Get a Glock 19, or if you are worried, something with a good reputation that has a Manual Safety or De-cock.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"

Last edited by Polypro; 24 August 2019 at 13:53.
Old 24 August 2019, 14:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Get a Glock 19, or if you are worried, something with a good reputation that has a Manual Safety or De-cock.
x ∞!

Just get a Glock, there's no reason to be worried!
Old 24 August 2019, 15:23
Confirmed User

If you like the trigger on a revolver than you're better buying any H&K with a LEM trigger. I used to own a number of revolvers but I don't own them anymore. The modern plastic fantastics are just better guns all around. They are easier to shoot well, they're much faster to reload especially under stress, they are often lighter and in many cases easier to conceal.

Also keep in mind that super light weight revolvers don't have a mechanism for absorbing recoil like a semi auto does. All that recoil goes directly into your hands and they flat out suck to shoot even with regular range ammo. Hard to become proficient with a light weight J frame if it's a pain in the ass to get past 20 rounds in a trip to the range.
Old 24 August 2019, 16:29
Administrator

Go shoot a bunch of handguns from reputable firms. Buy the one you feel most comfortable with. Get training.
Old 24 August 2019, 17:29
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Go shoot a bunch of handguns from reputable firms. Buy the one you feel most comfortable with. Get training.
Agreed!

Op, Just googled your area and many ranges there rent Firearms. Easier to do what Silverbullet suggested via range rentals.
. . .and many offer training as well. Good place to start.
Old 24 August 2019, 19:16
Freelancer

Quote:
Best advice.
Old 24 August 2019, 21:56
Corpsman Up!

Quote:
Go to a local range (Champion in Kent, WA) and RENT different weapons, ask the RO's which have more "issues". Do a ton of online research, and ask questions in a lot of firearm forums. Watch videos on youtube regarding all the pistols you are entertaining. Make a list of pro's and con's of everything you have learned. Make an informed decision.

Now - FORGET everything you think you are now an expert in....and buy a Glock 19.

If you want a revolver just because you want a revolver - S&W 610 or Ruger GP100 Model 1775 in 10mm/.40S&W
Old 24 August 2019, 22:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
I second the "why a revolver"? No modern force, Mil or LE, uses revolvers. You are handicapping yourself in every way by going with a revolver. Harder to shoot, harder to control, limited in capacity, harder to reload (plus under stress to boot), harder to conceal... in 2019, the "reliability" thing is a red herring.

Dispel the notion that you will only have 1 attacker, and that he will run at the mere sight of a gun, OR go down after 1 or 2 rounds

This^

If you are really set on a revolver. My gp100 isn’t bad. I use a Glock 34 for home defense though.
Old 24 August 2019, 23:12
Been There Done That

And if you’re on the south side, The Marksman in Puyallup was a good rental range when I was up there too.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 25 August 2019, 01:49
Been There Done That

All good advice. Shoot something comfortable for you. Some ranges mentioned already with professionals to help you out.

How much firearm experience do you have and with what? Hunter? Just want to get into range shooting? Looking at just home defense and a range shooter? Considering conceal carry?

Ill be myself and recommend a shotgun for HD.

Welcome!

ETA: The aforementioned Ruger is a fine piece.

Karl Childers

Last edited by 1RiserSlip; 25 August 2019 at 01:56.
Old 25 August 2019, 06:29
been ***** **** that

I know diddly squat about nothin, but I would, "Do the Puyallup"!
Old 26 August 2019, 19:13

Gentlemen,

I’m in your debt for your suggestions and expertise. Thank you.

Couple of you asked why a revolver, and the answer is ease of use, shorter training time, and fewer moving parts to screw up. (Not the weapon, me.)

I haven’t shot a firearm as an adult — shot a Colt Python .357 on my 14th birthday as well as an antique .44 pistol that took round lead pellets, maybe a Remington? Not a hunter, mostly interested in going to a range for proficiency and for HD. (Comment about a shotgun noted!)

My takeaways:

1. For revolvers, pre 1982 S&W K Frame, such as Model 19-2 or 66-2. 586 or 686 so long as it doesn’t have the lock. Ruger GP 100.

2. Revolvers are a handicap. Semi autos absorb recoil, easier to become proficient on. Glock 19, or something with a Manual Safety or a De-cock.

3. Try handguns from reputable firms, go to a range, get training from professionals.

With all this, thank you again — I’ll check with The Marksman in Puyallup to see if they have training and proficiency classes. It appears they have a great selection of rentals.
Old 26 August 2019, 20:03
Six Minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2600 View Post
Gentlemen,

I’m in your debt for your suggestions and expertise. Thank you.

Couple of you asked why a revolver, and the answer is ease of use-NOPE, shorter training time NOPE, and fewer moving parts to screw up. (Not the weapon, me.)Has more user operated parts than a Glock

I haven’t shot a firearm as an adult — shot a Colt Python .357 on my 14th birthday as well as an antique .44 pistol that took round lead pellets, maybe a Remington? Not a hunter, mostly interested in going to a range for proficiency and for HD. (Comment about a shotgun noted!)
I have a lot of revolvers, including a Python. They're great, are a lot of fun, and have applications that most autos can't compete with (can be loaded with more powerful ammunition generally). They are very easy to shoot, but VERY HARD TO SHOOT WELL compared to an auto.

99% of the time, I carry an auto.

+1000 to what Silverbullet said. Especially the training part.

Seven … six … eleven … five … nine-an’-twenty mile today
Four … eleven … seventeen … thirty-two the day before —

"Just remember son, 80% of the people in this world are fucking idiots"- My Dad
Old 27 August 2019, 07:15
Freelancer

One other piece of advice, don't let the counterman push a product on you. See it all the time, customer likes brand A counter guy will push brand B. Make an informed purchase and pick what fits your hand.
Old 27 August 2019, 10:38
Confirmed User

If your main goal is precision target shooting, a revolver is preferable (heavier and more stable, with adjustable sight and the choice between different sort of ammo and no stoppage)
-S&W 686 4" or 6"
-Manurhin MR 73

For defense or combat, of course go for an automatic, but if you want to do precision shooting as well, take something very closely adjusted
-SIG Sauer P226 (Swiss version)
-Sphinx SPD or 3000
-SIG P210...(if you like Rolls Royces)

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey

Our new posting rules