SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 19 December 2016, 13:54
Confirmed User

Yes the second season has more going on and is less love interest motivated. It's still there but predominantly in the background.

I should have watched the season one finale to refresh my memory some. If you were on the fence with season one I think you'll enjoy season two.
Old 20 December 2016, 01:43
Confirmed User

Done. Good shit.

Without spoiling, the sci-fi aspects of it still bother me, but not as much as the night they were first revealed.

Smith is the most interesting character. I see big things coming from him soon.

Joe Blake should have choked out that blonde... and then choked out himself.

The Nazi hippies was fantastic allegory. I do wonder whether those hippies will radicalize or never be mentioned again. Goddam hippies.
Old 20 December 2016, 17:05
Confirmed User

I just finished season two last night, as well. I hope there's a season three. The Smiths have more to do.
Old 20 December 2016, 17:54

For all this supposed 'hatred' of Nazi ideology, this show really didn't do a good job of making me dislike the Greater Reich. Hot chicks. Bad ass uniforms. Clean streets. No bullshit attitude. Smith is leaps and bounds more cool than any dipshit USA bureaucrat that I've seen. I was rooting for the Nazis to nuke those fucking Japs the entire time.

I too also laughed my ass off at the Nazi Hippies. Nothing but nonsense --- shitlibbery of that variety was a Soviet 'present' to the USA in the 60s. Since in that timeline Stalin got sent to his own gulag with, presumably, his NKVD/KGB staff.....I highly doubt that attitude would find a fertile soil in the "Lebemspawn" generation.

I would be HIGHLY interested in a "Smith" prequel. Specifically how he transitioned from a USA officer to a Nazi officer.........and eventually to HMFIC of the SS in America. That would be a wild ride.

Season 2 was MUCH better than season 1.
Old 20 December 2016, 18:48
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
For all this supposed 'hatred' of Nazi ideology, this show really didn't do a good job of making me dislike the Greater Reich. Hot chicks. Bad ass uniforms. Clean streets. No bullshit attitude. Smith is leaps and bounds more cool than any dipshit USA bureaucrat that I've seen. I was rooting for the Nazis to nuke those fucking Japs the entire time.

I too also laughed my ass off at the Nazi Hippies. Nothing but nonsense --- shitlibbery of that variety was a Soviet 'present' to the USA in the 60s. Since in that timeline Stalin got sent to his own gulag with, presumably, his NKVD/KGB staff.....I highly doubt that attitude would find a fertile soil in the "Lebemspawn" generation.

I would be HIGHLY interested in a "Smith" prequel. Specifically how he transitioned from a USA officer to a Nazi officer.........and eventually to HMFIC of the SS in America. That would be a wild ride.

Season 2 was MUCH better than season 1.
You cheered for Darth Vader and Col Jessup, didn't you?
Old 28 December 2016, 09:21
Confirmed User

I finished it last night and really liked the series. Season 2 was far better IMO. I hope season 3 doesn't take too long to produce... :)

If anything happens to Smith's son, Thomas, I can see him turning rogue in a vicious way.
Old 28 December 2016, 10:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
If anything happens to Smith's son, Thomas, I can see him turning rogue in a vicious way.
We're in spoiler territory, but... I think the die is already cast.
Old 30 December 2016, 21:31
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
That's your white privilege talking. The people of the Reich are still sheep, albeit with a nicer corral. And the sheepdogs will maul them just a readily as the wolves.
Old 30 December 2016, 21:42
Confirmed User

I thought Season 2 was pretty solid.

The Smith family is quite interesting, pivotal, and conflicting.

I thought the Tony Soprano character led the audience on a roller coaster ride of love/hate and everything in between.

Tony Soprano's got nothing on Smith

Hopefully they develop it well over at least 3 more seasons.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 30 December 2016, 23:11
Been There Done That

I took me a while to figure out what was happening with the old Japanese Travel Minister. I think I finally got it though... It was kind of like a LOST episode there for a while though-- I was just confused.
Old 31 December 2016, 06:33
War on Christmas veteran

Only half way through season two (just finished episode 5) and I have a few thoughts.

1. Okay... they've pretty much abandoned Philip K Dick's book. No problem... it's still fun to watch as it's own thing.

2. It's kind of weird that three of the actors playing West coast resistance fighters also played cylons on Battlestar Galactica

3. One thing that bugs the fuck out of me about every single movie or TV show that imagines an alternate history where the Nazis won... whether it's this show, that awful HBO movie Fatherland, or numerous TV episodes, films and shorts over the years...

The Germans were innovative during the war and known for their new superior weapon designs that were, fortunately, limited, thanks to our ability to relentlessly bomb their factories, resources, and supply lines. The Luftwaffe entered the war with prop engine planes and, by the end, had jet fighters... not many, of course. The Wermacht invaded Poland with bolt action Mausers and, a few years later, retreated, with many infantrymen carrying Sturmgewehr 44's.

One of the things touched on in Philip K Dick's book is that, 20 years after winning the war, Nazi technology had made great leaps forward, on many fronts, by decades. In fact, in the series, aside from the obvious (supersonic passenger aircraft and incredible architecture in Berlin) they briefly mention the enormous project underway to dam the Mediterranean Sea.

So what bothers me is seeing all these scenes, 20 or so years after Nazi victory, and all the German soldiers are still wearing old wool uniforms and carrying bolt action Mausers.
Seriously?
Did no one in the production think, "hmmm... maybe in the 1960's, after building supersonic transport and colonizing the moon, maybe they wouldn't still be wearing the same uniform and carrying the same weapons as they did in 1939."

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 31 December 2016, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo Five Romeo View Post
So what bothers me is seeing all these scenes, 20 or so years after Nazi victory, and all the German soldiers are still wearing old wool uniforms and carrying bolt action Mausers.
Seriously?
Did no one in the production think, "hmmm... maybe in the 1960's, after building supersonic transport and colonizing the moon, maybe they wouldn't still be wearing the same uniform and carrying the same weapons as they did in 1939."
I saw Hitler's personal guard (if that's what they were) had MP5s.

As far as uniforms...............I always figured those were the Bravos and Chucks worn in garrison duty. Haven't seen the BDUs version of them actually fighting.
Old 31 December 2016, 10:31
War on Christmas veteran

Quote:
I saw Hitler's personal guard (if that's what they were) had MP5s.

As far as uniforms...............I always figured those were the Bravos and Chucks worn in garrison duty. Haven't seen the BDUs version of them actually fighting.
Good to see MP5s. I haven't gotten that far in season 2

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx
Old 31 December 2016, 10:50
Ghey floor sweeper

There's no arms race that necessitates weapon advances. Germany has the bomb, and the Japanese have chopsticks. I bet the arms race is a factor in future seasons now that Japan has a project underway. But even we use a weapon today that was designed half a century ago.

As for wool uniforms, the neat synthetics used today didn't really kick off until the late 60's, so I don't see a huge problem with using wool for an army that calls a cold climate home.
Old 31 December 2016, 15:29
Confirmed User

Was Heydrich's driver/bodyguard wearing digicam kinda like a version of marpat in one scene?

From a production cost perspective, while I'd agree I'm interested in seeing how immersive and alternative reality realistic they can make it, developing and producing new uniforms would cost tons of production budget rather than going to a Hollywood costume provider and renting 50 German Wehrmacht uniform sets.

They could always run with Flektarn 25+ years early, there's literally boatloads of that stuff in every surplus outfit around the world.

Having just a passing and tangential understanding of film production, I reckon the producers have done a brilliant job of creating an alternative reality universe.

Vehicles, clothing, weapons(although what's are the Japanese ceremonial guards semi auto rifles? SLRs? Couldn't quite see), appliances/TVs, set locations, set designs, CGI, etc.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 21 September 2018, 00:37
Ghey floor sweeper

Season 3 starts October 5.
Old 21 September 2018, 02:50
Confirmed User

John Smith is coming...

"Either go Genghis Khan, or go home..." - Leopardprey
Old 21 September 2018, 07:11
Been There Done That

I should have read the book first. TV series has already gone confusing. People killed now are alive again somehow. Japanese Trade Minister keeps coming and going in different dimensions in different times zones.
Season 3 will be less confusing and clarify everything just so you can watch it? Good luck with that !
Old 25 November 2018, 10:17
All Star Benchwarmer

Is anybody watching this show still?

I'm about two and a half episodes in and it just isn't keeping my interest. Granted, I am doing some other stuff while watching, but I'm just not drawn in at all. I watched the first two seasons because of the hype and thought I enjoyed it, but didn't understand the rave about the show. It's funny as I look back now and realize I wasn't really drawn in because I can't even tell anyone the characters names, or much about them. Perhaps I'll just move on to the next thing on my list.

Maybe I'm just too simple minded.
Old 25 November 2018, 12:29
Confirmed User

I only watched two episodes of season 3. Wasn't sure what was going on.

Our new posting rules