SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 13 January 2019, 18:36
Freelancer

P10C T&E

I couldn't find an editor with the stones to run this piece. I write to help others make informed purchases and maybe help to improve a product. Hope you folks enjoy reading.

CZ P10C Review

The Czech people have a long tradition of producing quality firearms for both military and civilian use. CZ is best known for the iconic communist era CZ75. With the fall of communism, CZ products have become very popular with the American shooting public for both personal defense and competition. One thing that was lacking from the CZ line-up was a polymer striker fired design. Striker fired handguns have overtaken traditional SA/DA and SA only guns in the US market. It would only make sense for CZ to develop a polymer striker fired handgun to compete for civilian and military/LE sales. Enter the P10C which hit US shores in 2017.

Being a freelancer, I buy most of my test guns and ammo with my own funds. After calling around I found a P10C in stock for $449 which is below the MSRP. I advise any prospective buyers to shop around, there is no reason to pay over the MSRP. Test sample is black and came with two fifteen round magazines. There is also an FDE and Urban Gray version available. The weapon came in a black plastic box with a cleaning brush, lock and manual. The manual covers everything the end user needs to know about the weapon.

Initial Impression
CZ designed this weapon to compete with the Glock 19 with the C standing for compact. With an OAL of 7.3” and a height of 5.2” with a width of 1.26” the P10C is very similar to the Glock 19 in size. Weight of the P10C is 26oz. The cold hammer forged barrel is 4.02” in length. The white, luminescent three dot sights are metal not plastic. Magazines are made of steel and flush fitting. They are of excellent quality with a capacity of 15 rounds. The slide is made from carbon steel with aggressive front and back serrations with a Nitride coating. The frame is polymer with a grip texture that is aggressive but not uncomfortable. The trigger guard is undercut, the magwell is beveled to aid in reloading. The bottom of the grip is indented to aid with stripping the magazine in case of malfunction. The P10C comes with three backstraps with a lanyard hole. Slide to frame fit was excellent with no play, barrel lock-up was tight. Disassembly is easy and very similar, to a Glock. The P10C comes with a captured recoil spring and steel guide-rod. I was impressed at how beefy the barrel is on this weapon. The barrel lugs and locking block are much thicker than Glock. The fully supported chamber should be able to handle a steady diet of +P. Overall fit and finish was outstanding with no rough edges or machine marks.

How’d it Shoot?
Before taking the P10C to the range I did some dry fire training to familiarize myself with the weapon. During dry fire, I experienced trigger binding. I tend to use a lot of finger on the trigger, if the pad of my finger was not perfectly on the trigger safety it would bind causing me to pull the shot. I also found the trigger very stiff and gritty. With some range time, I hoped these issues would clear up as the parts broke in. Comparing the trigger safety to other striker fired weapons. I found the CZ trigger safety had a lot of wiggle room. Which caused the safety to hit on the frame opening while firing. This is a serious design flaw in my opinion, that can be easily corrected with a thicker trigger safety. I have discussed this with other P10C owners who have also complained about this issue.

After lubing with SEAL-1 CLP it was time to go shoot. I did my standard test of a mix of various ammo including +P. Bullet weights also varied, I find this is a good test of reliability. Testing started off with slow fire using both strong and weak handed grip. The felt recoil was very mild due to the low bore axis of the weapon. The aggressive texture kept it firmly in my hands. Accuracy was outstanding at combat ranges. When I practiced the fundamentals, my shot hit the steel. The trigger was another story I was pulling my first shot due to the binding which was very frustrating. Trigger reset was very short which was the saving grace. I had little to no issues with follow up shots. I started to notice after 100 rounds the trigger started to feel less gritty, the binding issue persisted unfortunately. The flared magwell made reloads very easy to do. The magazines dropped free regardless of how dirty they got. Both the mag and slide release were very tight. I normally powerstroke on reloads, for this session I used the slide release only for reloads. As the session progressed the mag release and slide catch smoothed out and became easier to use. The P10C was designed to release the slide if the shooter slams the magazine during reloads. I do not like this nor would I depend on it in dangerous situations. After 300 rounds I called it a day and went home. Upon field stripping it was cleaned and lubed. No unusual wear was found after the initial session.

For my next range session, I wanted to kick it up a notch. I ordered the Litepath chest rig from 2aholster.com. Chest-carry is my preferred method due to the comfort and versatility of the design. Some have stated the P10C is compatible with Glock 19 holsters. I had no luck with any of my holsters I suggest buying a holster that will properly fit the weapon.

For this session I focused on drills to push the weapon and myself. Mozambique drills went well with the weapon. Though the trigger did cause quite a few shots to go low, into the Pelvic girdle. The low bore axis combined with the aggressive grip and short trigger reset, made follow up shots very easy. Recoil on this weapon is very light compared to other makes on the market. Conducting Dozier drills, I found the sights quick to pick up while transitioning from target to target. The trigger bind was very noticeable while performing double taps. Causing the first shot to go low or miss entirely which caused a lot of frustration. The low recoil made the P10C a pleasure to shoot for all day sessions.

I coated my hands in mineral oil to see just how well the texturing would perform. I had no issues with control or manipulation of the weapon. Reliability wasn’t an issue with the P10C. It functioned after being dropped in sand and snow. I made numerous attempts to get it to malfunction by limp wristing. I even tried, heavily rusted steel cased ammo which cycled with no issues. Various lights were used during testing, all fit the rail without issue. In total 1.8k rounds were fired during the test.

Would I recommend the P10C to friends or family? No, even though the weapon was 100% reliable. The flaw in the trigger safety causing it to bind concerns me enough that I wouldn’t trust my life to it. This is a serious issue and it needs to be corrected. As I feel it could cost someone their life in a dangerous situation. CZ did a great job with the ergonomics and keeping the MSRP affordable. It is not the “Glock Killer” that shills in the gun media like to claim. I do feel if the trigger safety is improved the P10C will have the potential to be a serious competitor on the market.
Old 13 January 2019, 20:44
Unemployed Stunt Double

So did the binding result in you not being able to fire when you wanted to fire?
Old 13 January 2019, 22:21
Custom User Title

Excellent.
Old 13 January 2019, 22:26
On the Extract Bird

Excellent write-up my Brother!
Old 13 January 2019, 22:54
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
So did the binding result in you not being able to fire when you wanted to fire?
Yes, I had to put some ass into pulling through the bind. Causing me to shoot low or miss. I got good at make-ups
Old 13 January 2019, 23:28
Did...did I do that?

Good write-up. Are you going to contact CZ about the binding? Does this seem like something common to the design, or did you get a lemon?
Old 13 January 2019, 23:39
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Good write-up. Are you going to contact CZ about the binding? Does this seem like something common to the design, or did you get a lemon?
I believe it is design. I went to the shop to get ammo today and tried a couple. I got both to bind, both were made in 2018.
I might contact CZ tomorrow.

In case anyone is wondering on my more finger statement.

https://youtu.be/G8JX2hZR_6g

Last edited by GPC; 13 January 2019 at 23:56.
Old 14 January 2019, 09:45
33,024 - R.I.P.

Thumbs up

Great write up and nice vet owned product pimpin'.
Old 14 January 2019, 19:56
Freelancer

Thanks gents.
Old 16 January 2019, 12:15
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Though the trigger did cause quite a few shots to go low, into the Pelvic girdle.
Not the worst of outcomes.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 17 January 2019, 10:43
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Not the worst of outcomes.
True

For duty or CCW if one pulls a shot due to binding it could endanger innocents.That would be my main concern. I had to shoot the P10 differently than other striker fired weapons. I posted about it in the CZ handgun thread.

http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=127093&page=5
Old 4 March 2019, 19:18
Freelancer

I was chatting with a fella about the trigger. I talked him into doing a trigger fix video.

https://youtu.be/c1m0UwuE3Zk
Old 4 March 2019, 20:26
Freelancer

I did the fix and it worked. Just did 150 dry fires and I couldn't get the trigger to bind. Now off to shoot trash Pandas.
Old 4 March 2019, 20:55
FIDO

Great write up. I remember when CZ was crap. They have come a long was as far as quality goes. But sounds like the need to rethink their triggers.
Old 5 March 2019, 07:08
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I did the fix and it worked. Just did 150 dry fires and I couldn't get the trigger to bind. Now off to shoot trash Pandas.
'Q' makes a good product... oh, you meant the animals - they're now called 'Dark Helmets'.

I crack myself up.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 5 March 2019, 09:37
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
'Q' makes a good product... oh, you meant the animals - they're now called 'Dark Helmets'.

I crack myself up.
This new gun buying thingy looks good on you. Its definitely bringing out the inner Poly.
Old 5 March 2019, 10:26
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
Great write up. I remember when CZ was crap. They have come a long was as far as quality goes. But sounds like the need to rethink their triggers.
You should post this at the CZ forums.
Safe spaces will be overflowing.
Old 5 March 2019, 20:23
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
I remember when CZ was crap.
When was that??

I had looked at the whole CZ line up at SHOT, nothing really grabbed me. So....a "Euro-Bubba'd" Short Rail I picked up in Germany left this morning for CZ Custom. It will have the polished chrome stripped from the frame, trigger, safety and pins, the Millett adjustable's will be removed and shit canned so they never cause anyone to throw up in the back of their throat a little ever again, and what I believe to be an attempted trigger job which results in the hammer being caught by the half cock notch in DA will all be corrected. The trigger will be grooved or replaced. Past that it will have a Bomar Lo-Mount rear and matching ramp installed, front and back strap checkered, and either a pair of hard rubber vintage Uncle Mike's grips design licensed from Craig Spegel or something in an aggressively textured G10.

Finish I have not decided 100% on yet and am waiting to talking to Eric after the gun is received, but I always liked the look of the greenish parkerizing on some of the WWII era guns like the M1903A3 (probably cera-coat the days, so much easier I think) with contrasting blued parts. (Trigger, safety, pins, hammer, sights, barrel) Blued parts not being real corrosion or finish wear resistant, probably the same.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 6 March 2019, 07:47
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
This new gun buying thingy looks good on you. Its definitely bringing out the inner Poly.
Hahahaha!
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 6 March 2019, 09:00
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthedesert View Post
When was that??
Back in the 90s.

Our new posting rules