SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 16 February 2019, 00:39
Did...did I do that?

Houston police officer in drug raid had previous allegations against him

Quote:
Even after the allegations emerged Friday, a former supervisor stuck up for him, mostly.

“He was a good narcotics officer. He’s not corrupt, but he’s lazy with his paperwork,” the ex-officer said. “He has a history of not doing his reports until afterwards.”
That's a left-handed compliment if I've ever read one.
Old 16 February 2019, 01:38
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post

That's a left-handed compliment if I've ever read one.
To me that reads like ď I told those admin POGs they should have gotten rid of his ass a long time ago but they didnít listenĒ

And what MassGrunt said. If itís true, that needs to see jail for all day. 2 people are dead and 5 cops got hurt over some bullshit.
You canít tell me there arenít a plethora of legit dope dealers in Houston.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 16 February 2019, 01:48
Custom User Title

Drug work is fucking hard. If it was easy everybody could do it. Start cutting little corners and this is where it ends.
Old 16 February 2019, 01:53
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Drug work is fucking hard. If it was easy everybody could do it. Start cutting little corners and this is where it ends.
I agree dope work is not for everyone. Sounds like it wasnít for this guy.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 16 February 2019, 02:05
Been There Done That

Sounds like the basis for a Quentin Tarantino movie.
Old 16 February 2019, 11:08
BTDT

This douche is SO bad, that instead of the usual thin blue line BS, one of his co-workers actually takes a swipe at him, LOL! Not corrupt? Were those two bags of Heroin signed out of the PD that day, with their use clarified? (do PDs even keep drugs on hand?). Please keep us updated on the indictment, trial, and verdict/sentencing.
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General ďto dedicate all available resources toÖ propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.Ē

ďI like taking the guns early, like in this crazy manís case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long timeĒ

ďTake the guns first, go through due process secondĒ

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Old 16 February 2019, 12:33

Well fuck that guy. And the responding officers have to be feeling pretty shitty now. I’d be furious. Send that asshole down the river, maximum time.
Old 16 February 2019, 16:13
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
I never found narcotics to be hard. I did, however, find it to be a field that could become ripe with people who choose to operate in the "grey" until eventually they crossed the line. Once the line was crossed, they developed the mindset of the "means justifying the end."

Last edited by Mars; 16 February 2019 at 16:43.
Old 18 February 2019, 14:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...s-13621276.php
Old 18 February 2019, 14:16
Confirmed User

Goins has been shot 2 previous times.

https://abc13.com/hpd-officer-at-cen...efore/5141523/
Old 18 February 2019, 20:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTex View Post
Goins has been shot 2 previous times.

https://abc13.com/hpd-officer-at-cen...efore/5141523/
Not sure why this matters? Everything about this, from some folks I know, is bad.

He and all involved need to burn. No knock for some pot and a small amount of coke does don't add up. He will get his day in court, the folks in the house will not. HPD has been trying to not be like this since the 70's.

Kick in your door how you gonna come?
Old 19 February 2019, 10:29
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
If the detective fabricated a controlled buy he belongs in jail.
Just catching up on this, but the "if" part seems all but settled. I predict a grand jury indictment in his near future.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 19 February 2019, 11:58
Authorized Personnel

You would think enough crime exists, that the need to lie and make stuff up wouldn't exist.
Old 19 February 2019, 12:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
Absent extreme circumstances such as explosives, a no-knock search warrant is stupidly dangerous and creates this sort of situation. So does non-standard/non-uniform appearance, lack of proper knock/announce procedures, sufficient time to respond by the occupants, and my personal pet peeve: the dynamic entry 0600 search warrant. To me, it's indicative of ignorance or professional immaturity and thrill-seeking over professional execution of duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believeraz View Post
My priorities are to secure the scene and people within it so the investigative unit can conduct a safe investigation. Evidence preservation is a secondary consideration.

That said: can you objectively give enough time for the suspects inside to recognize and acknowledge your authority and submit to the warrant, as required by law, without giving them time to destroy evidence in that same time frame? If not, do you short cut their constitutional rights, or do you fish dope out of the toilet? How much dope is worth getting shot over?

Investigatively, build the best case you can with what you've got. If the case is dependent on the results of the search warrant, I have a hard time seeing how you can objectively make it within constitutional guidelines without the targets simply giving up, or taking measures to mitigate that risk....takeaway the targets outside of the residence. Use a ruse to get them to the door and snatch them.

From the SWAT side, you can reasonably control a significant portion of the downstairs prior to entry via port/cover. Think they will flush it in X bathroom? Bang-pole through the window makes great area denial, etc.

My bottom dollar as a cop: No amount of dope is worth making a next of kin notification.

One of the better posts I have read in a long time.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 20 February 2019, 17:47
Confirmed User

Houston DA is now reviewing over 1400 cases that officer Goins was involved in. Also heard in press conference FBI is launching a civil rights investigation into incident.
Old 21 February 2019, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I never found narcotics to be hard. I did, however, find it to be a field that could become ripe with people who choose to operate in the "grey" until eventually they crossed the line. Once the line was crossed, they developed the mindset of the "means justifying the end."
This 100%. I worked narcotics for 7 years in one of the most drug infested cities in America. The actual work isnít hard, but itís definitely in need of a shelf life to avoid corruption. Iíve seen guys go to prison for everything from perjury (ends justifying the means as you said) to full blown federal racketeering indictments. I think that the grey line becomes easier and easier for some to cross as the years go on and they lose sight of who they actually are. Ive always been for implementing a 5 year policy like a lot of agencies do, just so happens ours never seems to learn from the constant mistakes they get hit with.
Old 22 February 2019, 11:20
Road Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTex View Post
Houston DA is now reviewing over 1400 cases that officer Goins was involved in. Also heard in press conference FBI is launching a civil rights investigation into incident.
I hope they crush his nuts.

Old 23 February 2019, 15:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm410 View Post
This 100%. I worked narcotics for 7 years in one of the most drug infested cities in America. The actual work isnít hard, but itís definitely in need of a shelf life to avoid corruption. Iíve seen guys go to prison for everything from perjury (ends justifying the means as you said) to full blown federal racketeering indictments. I think that the grey line becomes easier and easier for some to cross as the years go on and they lose sight of who they actually are. Ive always been for implementing a 5 year policy like a lot of agencies do, just so happens ours never seems to learn from the constant mistakes they get hit with.
This X1000. Have you noticed how paranoid and secretive some drug guys become after moving from patrol operations or investigations into narcotics? They think every half gram dealer is going to lead them to El Chapo, or the department has been infiltrated by dealers "Departed" style ( great movie btw) so they can not associate with other officers. IMO it's because narcs work almost exclusively with informants and other narcs. Like you said in your post, that culture becomes their reality.
Old 23 February 2019, 16:24
Confirmed User

Several members have articulately addressed the decision making and tactics behind this raid so I cant add anything that hasn't been covered. I have worked with very small agencies, some with less than 10 officers, but they managed similar investigations much more professionally. How can a controlled buy be made at a residence and there is no documentation of which informant was used. Most departments refer to the CI by some type of number rather than name in reports. Also was there not an audio/video recording of the transaction? Is there not paperwork showing money spent on informant outlays or money spent on purchasing drugs? If seven officer departments are able to do all the above, I cant think of one reason why a major department isn't following dope work 101 lessons. I hope these problems are limited to this particular officer and not a division/unit wide problem/failure.
Old 23 February 2019, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS7963 View Post
This X1000. Have you noticed how paranoid and secretive some drug guys become after moving from patrol operations or investigations into narcotics? They think every half gram dealer is going to lead them to El Chapo, or the department has been infiltrated by dealers "Departed" style ( great movie btw) so they can not associate with other officers. IMO it's because narcs work almost exclusively with informants and other narcs. Like you said in your post, that culture becomes their reality.
Lol to be honest, Iíve even been one of those guys at one point. Looking like Billy Gibbons, hanging out at shithead bars/clubs on my own time, having the ďfuck youĒ disposition. One day I looked in the mirror and told myself I was done. I need to get back in a uniform, and I did. A lot of guys donít make that self realization however, next thing you know they go from pretending to be a criminal to actually becoming one. Iíd like to think that would never happen to me obviously, however something internally told me it was time to get out so who knows. I am looking at this for my dissertation in fact, the correlation between corruption and narcotics enforcement units.

Our new posting rules