SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 7 July 2019, 11:31
Confirmed User

Yes my bad on the errand boy part...

Yeah, the LSD filter was the sixties...he was always referred to as 'Lance' until they were already halfway up the river and they had mail call and the captain called out 'Lance B. Johnson'...I said to myself 'holy shit LBJ'.... already in to deep to get out....then came ARC LIGHT the further north they went.

The scene in 'Redux' at the French plantation was telling too. The history lecture from the old man. 'Lady Liberty' the heir, was once attractive, but had become a burned out old haggard drug addict desperately holding on to the last vestiges of her empire in Indochina.

I believe they ended up fucking (Sheen and her, the colonial powers) in some unfulfilling attempt to recapture any kind of 'what used to be'.

There's a LOT of symbolism in that movie. Brilliantly done.
Old 7 July 2019, 17:44
Been There Done That

Definitely had them traveling back in time with the French Plantation scene. Completely different characterization of Willard since you actually see him smiling when he trades some gas with Bill Graham for sex with the Playmates for the crew.

I'll be curious to see what he keeps from the Redux version because according to this article:

"In 2001, for “Apocalypse Now: Redux,” Coppola put 49 minutes of previously cut footage back in. The idea was for people to see the whole scope of his original vision, regardless of how weird it may have played. However, Coppola has said that he doesn’t believe this fully restored version was the best version of the film, as it played too long and was uneven at times.
For his “Final Cut,” Coppola said he has found a version he can stand behind. By studying old cuts of the film preserved on Betamax, Coppola said he felt he discovered where he went wrong in editing the film (due to financial and distribution pressure) and removed 20 minutes of the new material from “Redux” in this new final cut. The new running time is three hours and two minutes."
Old 7 July 2019, 18:41
Confirmed User

I knew a guy when I lived in Hawai’i back in the early eighties who was a ‘Nam Kiowa pilot and really pissed off at the ‘soldier with the suitcase in the water trying to get home’ scene. “That never happened! That never fuckin’ happened!!’ he said.

Dude showed me a hole made by a flacet in his his Air Cav cowboy hat from a following gunship that shot thru his canopy. Had the offending flacet as a memento too. He wasn’t a fan of the movie to put it mildly.
Old 7 July 2019, 22:39
Administrator

For those of you that do not know, the movie was based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which is a must-read on the human condition. It is considered one of the top 100 novels of the 20th century (published in 1899).

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 8 July 2019, 00:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
For those of you that do not know, the movie was based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which is a must-read on the human condition. It is considered one of the top 100 novels of the 20th century (published in 1899).

I agree completely, in fact for our less literary members I can recommend the Orson Welles 1938 Mercury Theater on the Air radio presentation of Heart of Darkness. You can either listen online or download it for later. You'll actually find a lot of the characters and situations taken from the original story in Apocalypse Now.
Old 8 July 2019, 08:13
Been There Done That

Quote:
Well, based on that and the life of Tony Poe.
Old 8 July 2019, 09:13
Freelancer

Quote:
Brando had never read the book and was being difficult with Coppola. After reading the book he shaved his head and became Kurtz.

The arrow and spear scene was from the book.
Old 8 July 2019, 09:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
I read it a long time ago in college but don’t remember much about it. Maybe I need to read it again.
Old 8 July 2019, 12:43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonyea View Post
Will Charlie surf in the redux ?

Maybe....It is Charlie's point after all....but then again, CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!!!
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 8 July 2019, 13:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simpson View Post
I'll be curious to see what he keeps from the Redux version because according to this article:

"In 2001, for “Apocalypse Now: Redux,” Coppola put 49 minutes of previously cut footage back in. The idea was for people to see the whole scope of his original vision, regardless of how weird it may have played. However, Coppola has said that he doesn’t believe this fully restored version was the best version of the film, as it played too long and was uneven at times.
For his “Final Cut,” Coppola said he has found a version he can stand behind. By studying old cuts of the film preserved on Betamax, Coppola said he felt he discovered where he went wrong in editing the film (due to financial and distribution pressure) and removed 20 minutes of the new material from “Redux” in this new final cut. The new running time is three hours and two minutes."
I am interested in the 4K HDR Dolby Vision and remastered audio from the found original print master that was not available for Redux. I'll be seeing this in the theater.

Quote:
Sound: The Found the Print Master
For “Redux,” the best the sound team could do in 2001 was work off a third generation dub. For “Final Cut,” Mockoski and the film’s original sound designer Walter Murch were able to locate (it had been tossed in a dumpster) one of the 1979 film’s original six track print masters. This gave the “Final Cut” team the ability to create significantly clearer sound, but it also meant being able to go inside sound designer Murch’s revolutionary work and adapt it to the modern tools of post-production and in theaters.

Murch’s 5.1 sound design for the 1979 release was not only a technical breakthrough, but on an artistic level, it remains at the pinnacle of surround sound. Murch’s work in enveloping the audience in war and the way sound traveled inside the theater is still a textbook example that virtually all sound designers and mixers study when honing their craft.
Old 8 July 2019, 21:22
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Maybe....It is Charlie's point after all....but then again, CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!!!
Sure as shit was the Chief's boat.
Old 8 July 2019, 21:44
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well, based on that and the life of Tony Poe.
And Col.Robert Rheault.
Old 8 July 2019, 22:33
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
I had a 9th grade English teacher who assigned us Heart of Darkness (without giving anything away beforehand). I start reading and am like "wait a minute, I know this story."
I was happy my son had to read it in both high school and again in college.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 14 July 2019, 21:06
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
It is not like the watch is Special - it is just what some actor was wearing when a fictional movie was made.

I will sell you my Casio G Shock, I actually wore while really running patrols deep in the Cambodian jungle with my Khmers, for only $2000.
The Rolex Brando worn in the film is coming up for auction.

You either surf or fight!
Old 14 July 2019, 21:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
The Rolex Brando worn in the film is coming up for auction.

You either surf or fight!
Probably a fake one he bought in Manilla.
Old 14 July 2019, 21:18
Shakin' the bush Boss

Nabobs.
Old 14 July 2019, 22:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Nabobs.
Huh?

A nabob /ˈneɪbɒb/ is a conspicuously wealthy man deriving his fortune in the east, especially in India during the 18th century with the privately held East India Company.
Old 14 July 2019, 22:39
Shakin' the bush Boss

If I recall correctly COL Kurtz referred to his chain of command as Nabobs.
Old 14 July 2019, 22:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
If I recall correctly COL Kurtz referred to his chain of command as Nabobs.

You recalled correctly:

"We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army. And they call me an assassin. What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin? They lie. They lie, and we have to be merciful, for those who lie. Those nabobs. I hate them. I do hate them."

Of course, one of my favorite quotes is the second to the last thing that Kurtz says: "We train young men to drop fire on people, and their commanders won't allow them to write the word FUCK on their airplanes because...it's OBSCENE!" as Willard enters with a machete.
Old 15 July 2019, 00:23
Confirmed User

The 'Roach' soldier with the M79 is out of the book Dispatches by Michael Herr page 117.

Our new posting rules