SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 10 October 2019, 16:11
Confronting the Reckoning

Combined Action in Vietnam publication

I have just received in the mail from the Marine Corps University's History Division a lengthy (55 page) historical pamphlet that details the history of the Combined Action operations by the United States Marine Corps in South Vietnam from August 1965 to September 1970. It is a part of a larger commemorative series that the MCU History Division is putting out.

Part organizational history, part celebratory remembrance of the efforts of these enlisted men and officers in direct engagement with the civilians of South Vietnam, it provides a good introduction to what was done, where it was done (there are good maps) and how it was done (charts), as well as why. I found it valuable in retelling the senior leadership's decisionmaking process for having such an ability (predating the Da Nang landing, remarkably). It was also valuable in showing just how much depended upon the actions of the corporal or rifleman on the spot (as well as the chaplains and corpsmen). If you lived it (CAPMARINE, this is for you) or you wanted to know more about what inspired some of the counterinsurgency ideas circa 2007, this short pamphlet may be worth your time.

It is located electronically at the following link:
https://www.usmcu.edu/Outreach/Publi...cations/About/
Just click on the image of the cover, and you're looking for Combined Action.
Old 10 October 2019, 18:17
0311/8651

I’m CAP
CAP Platoons were pulled out in May-I was hit on 31 March 71
There is a pretty extensive written book about us , written by a CIA analyst.

Last edited by CAP MARINE; 10 October 2019 at 18:18. Reason: M
Old 11 October 2019, 03:45
Confirmed User

It’s been awhile since I read it but “The Village” by Bing West was a awesome book. I liked the 3rd person view of his writing to give the credit to the Marines he served with. To be honest the only reason I knew the book existed was because my 12 year old daughter at the time had bought & read it & then passed it to me saying “I hope you don’t cry as much as I did while reading it”.

Our new posting rules