SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 2 September 2019, 13:36
Russian Tycoon

No Need to Fly

This is so ingenious, especially given the growing influence of social media on people's travel preferences. Kudos to Deutsche Bahn for using innovative technology and creativity to promote domestic travel!

If only Amtrak followed the suit... I hate to see American railroads dying a slow death! Insane prices and often inconvenient scheduling make train travel an unattractive choice.

https://www.contagious.com/news-and-...ons-to-germans

More here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uGtJqnatRbA
Old 2 September 2019, 14:20
Custom User Title

I believe the Northeast corridor between DC and Boston is the only route that's self sustaining?
Old 2 September 2019, 15:20
Been There Done That

Have no fear, California's Hi Speed Rail should be done by 2100 (year not hour) and it's only $Billion$ over budget. F'ing clown show.
Old 2 September 2019, 20:51
I reckon so. . .

Thumbs up

You're right. Nice marketing to the home crowd.

From what I've read it was conspiracy between The Automotive manuf.'s & Big Oil that killed our mass-transportation system, instead replacing it with the automobile.
Old 2 September 2019, 21:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino0311 View Post
I believe the Northeast corridor between DC and Boston is the only route that's self sustaining?
If you can get the tickets on sale, it's the nicest way to travel between DC and NYC. We did it many times when our oldest was at NYU.
Old 2 September 2019, 22:51
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Have no fear.
I'm not cheap.

Ah, who am I kidding...I'm almost free! And I've "ridden" heaps, so it's still on topic!
Old 3 September 2019, 00:35
Red Headed Stepchild

I’d never been on a train in my life before being stationed in the UK. I was planning on taking an Amtrak across the US when I got home but then I got a look at the prices. No idea why anyone would pay that much to have a trip take 10 times as long.

Embarrassing really how bad the trains are here.
Old 3 September 2019, 02:55
Russian Tycoon

According to fairly recent data from Bloomberg, the three routes with the highest revenue-to-cost ratios are Acela Express, Northeast Regional and Hiawatha (Milwaukee-Chicago).

I was looking at the list of Amtrak routes and there is not one itinerary that I would not consider. All of these could be great trips, but certainly not from a budget travel category.

One of the things that I heard from my European friends re: train travel in the U.S. is that because the rest of the public transportation system is not always developed (especially when considering travel across the West and Midwest), that in order to see the things that they want to see, they still need to rent a car. Maybe Amtrak could build partnerships with local bus companies so that people could take train/bus combos to see the National parks, for example.
Old 3 September 2019, 03:07
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
I’d never been on a train in my life before being stationed in the UK. I was planning on taking an Amtrak across the US when I got home but then I got a look at the prices. No idea why anyone would pay that much to have a trip take 10 times as long.

Embarrassing really how bad the trains are here.
I think a scenic train ride would be cool, if taken 50 years ago. Our rail system has not been mainlined properly over the years and high speed on most tracks isn't going to be possible.

I went to the World's Fair, New York, 1964 and rode on the local rail system, the bathroom was a direct opening to the rail bed. I know things have changed over the years, but I still think that stretch of ground as nasty.

I was a signalmen for Southern Pacific back in the 70's.
Old 3 September 2019, 07:41
Confronting the Reckoning

Passenger rail was (almost) always a loss leader. The money was in freight. Without cars and planes, it was magical for a while.

To litepath's point, he may be thinking of commuter rail (interurbans and city trolley systems). Those did get captured and turned into busses; trolleys were frequently set up to fail and 'force' a municipality to take them over. Developers would do this to boost sales of property along the transit corridor, and then dump the line later.
Old 3 September 2019, 08:09
Been There Done That

I watched some of a You tube of an enthusiast’s trip from Chicago to LA. He had a sleeper, and it was a claustrophobic looking coffin/closet. Himself and a few of the riders said the train cost about equaled driving costs with fuel, food, hotels for overnights...

I had friends do the east coast to LA, then up to Seattle in ‘06. It was a litany of failures and delays. they ended up getting bused from PDX up to us.

I loved and was impressed by the Euro rail/transit systems, and the only place I’d consider rail is in the NE corridor. i’d drive vs Amtrak every time until something changes.

I don’t think we’ll have viable, profitable rail service until we have a European/Asian population density. I think that’s mostly why the NE corridor works. Short/mid distances with density make it viable with the infrastructure investments we’ve had to date. And few people want to spend/waste days traveling when they can fly cheaper comparably
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Last edited by KW Driver; 3 September 2019 at 08:16.
Old 3 September 2019, 17:39
giving you a number

Took the family (wife & I, 2 adult boys) to Disneyworld a few years ago. We went south on the Autotrain. You leave VA in the afternoon and arrive in Orlando the next morning. We did the sleeper car and it's not bad. Takes about the same amount of time as driving but you sleep through most of it. They're pretty efficient getting cars onto and off of the train. Just checked and it's $800 for two people and a car in a sleeper, about half that if you ride in coach. They have larger sleeper rooms that can fit a family of four and you get dinner and breakfast.

Biggest problem is I think this is the only route where Amtrak provides this service. It's also more comfortable if you're smaller. I'm 6'4"/300lbs and it was pretty cramped sleeping and showering.

Our new posting rules