SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 22 August 2019, 12:55
Never to old to learn

Thumbs up Forgiving Student Loan Debt for Disabled Veterans

Received this e-mail below I know this shouls help some individuals on the site, I hope!

Trump Signs Order to Expedite Forgiving Student Loan Debt for Disabled Veterans

“President Donald Trump signed a memo to automatically discharge federal student loan debt for permanently and totally disabled veterans during his visit to Louisville Wednesday, where he addressed more than 1,000 veterans,” Chris Kenning reports for the Courier-Journal.

“I have taken executive action to make sure our wounded warriors are not saddled with mountains of student debt,” the President told the crowd, vowing to eliminate “every penny” of the average $30,000 of student loan debt facing roughly 25,000 disabled veterans.

Click here to read more.

https://whitehouse.us19.list-manage....3&e=fad8b01bcb

Last edited by wildman43; 22 August 2019 at 12:57. Reason: wording
Old 22 August 2019, 13:35
Conquer Life.

Heart is in the right place, I suppose. But this is a slippery slope. I haven't read the whole legislation, but military veterans already EARN lots of educational benefits through service to country. If veterans knowingly and willingly take on student loan debt, they should be held to the exact same standards as anyone else. No handouts, no free shit, only what you are rightly entitled to through act of service (GI Bill/etc).

Quote:
While student loan discharge for disabled veterans is not a new program, less than half of the nation's 50,000 disabled veterans have received a student loan discharge due to a complicated application process. Today's executive order hopes to simplify and expedite the process so that more disabled veterans can have their federal student loans discharged. The U.S. Department of Education says it plans to notify more than 25,000 eligible veterans about student loan discharge.
^ then again, based on this... if he is only simplifying an existing process I guess that's a bit different.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 22 August 2019, 17:26
Been There Done That

"President Donald Trump signed a memo to automatically discharge federal student loan debt for permanently and totally disabled veterans..._.

There are not a lot of us who are rated by the VA as 100% P&T. Basic VA 100% compensation is over $3K per month. If you have dependents or SMC and it is a lot more. Along with that, most 100% P&T vets qualify for Social Security as disability, or SSI. Add in GI bill to that plus many of the states waive tuition for disabled Vets. No tuition, no fees, no books, plus a VA stipend. The VA also chips in with the "chapter" benefits. There is no reason for a 100% P&T vet to get a federal student loan.

My issue is that you show up, and somebody comes in an pushes a whole bunch of papers in front of you to sign. You get a federal student loan. You spend all of the money that you get.

The whole thing is that "federal student loans" was set up a few years ago as a government scam - get all students beholding to the federal government and to vote for the deep state in the hopes of getting student loan forgiveness.
Old 22 August 2019, 17:32

Open the floodgates Mr. Trump. Many special groups will no doubt claim this exemption because they have seemingly important jobs or standings in the community, such as Law Enforcement, EMT personnel, doctors, nurses etc. Everyone has loans they don't desire to have.

If someone takes out a loan for school, should they not understand they need to pay it back. Common sense 101.

Why should Joe Taxpayer who works at the gas station be required to pay taxes to dismiss others students loans. Don't make sense to me. Just feeding the the victim mentality.
Old 22 August 2019, 17:56
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucko View Post
Open the floodgates Mr. Trump. Many special groups will no doubt claim this exemption because they have seemingly important jobs or standings in the community, such as Law Enforcement, EMT personnel, doctors, nurses etc. Everyone has loans they don't desire to have.

If someone takes out a loan for school, should they not understand they need to pay it back. Common sense 101.

Why should Joe Taxpayer who works at the gas station be required to pay taxes to dismiss others students loans. Don't make sense to me. Just feeding the the victim mentality.
Consider that while we as vets do get a lot of benefits, I'd submit that it's more nuanced than that. At a fundamental level, the benefits that are provided are pre-agreed as part of the T&C's of the contract that we sign. The opportunity for an education is part of that. So is the opportunity to get the injuries that can come as a part of being in the military. There are certain circumstances that warrant a premium benefit. So since such a small portion of the population signs up for service to the country, the demand is high, and via the most basic laws of supply and demand, a more rare resource or asset is more valuable if there is corresponding demand.

For 100% disabled vets, I'd say it's a fair deal.

But, it damn sure is going to start a crybaby cyclone amongst the entitled class.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 22 August 2019, 18:21
Been There Done That

https://www.va.gov/vetdata/docs/pock...s/fy2019q4.pdf

VA blurs the numbers. There are many Vets that are temporarily rated at 100% following heart or joint replacement surgery, or receiving IU (individual unemployability) but 100% P&T Vets are rare often referred to within VA as the "unicorns".

They use this $hit to get votes - and as the vet population falls, the politicians will move on to their next target.
Old 22 August 2019, 19:28
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
There are not a lot of us who are rated by the VA as 100% P&T.\
This. P&T total is fairly uncommon. Many folks at 100%, but few with that additional designation.
Old 22 August 2019, 22:31
0311/8651

I was retired at 40% in 1971. Received 100% P&T in 1995.a lot of vets have 100% P&T, but not retired. I guess there are several ways to look at what vets receive.
Old 23 August 2019, 01:04
Never to old to learn

some Vets went to school on the GI Bill etc. It only paid so much.

To Earn a Hight Degree in a Field they took out a Loan, to pay for their Education. It was a win & a No win at the same time, You got your Degree, while you worked part time, trying to pay off the loan. What they didn't tell you was after a certain time they started adding interest to the loan. the small print that no body reads.
Old 23 August 2019, 08:18
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
some Vets went to school on the GI Bill etc. It only paid so much.

To Earn a Hight Degree in a Field they took out a Loan, to pay for their Education. It was a win & a No win at the same time, You got your Degree, while you worked part time, trying to pay off the loan. What they didn't tell you was after a certain time they started adding interest to the loan. the small print that no body reads.
The problem is that the loan providers have added interest and fee's into the loans that ARE NOT in the agreed upon T&C's. They were able to do this when the law prevented them from being sued, now, at least in the case of my provider, there are 10 federal class action lawsuits in the hopper because all of the providers have been able to add fee's and interest that were not agreed upon with impunity.

And this is the situation I am in, now dealing with a loan provider that refuses to verify the debt, acknowledge that payments have even been made, where I've paid the loan off two and a half times at the estimated agreed upon amount including interest(have receipts/proof of payment); and the loan provider right now refuses to accept anything less than $89,997. On an account that where my max loan amount was $38k. The provider refuses to provide documentation of not just records of payments made, but also how, why and when interest was added to the account, despite debt verification demands from attorney's. THIS is the student loan crisis; I'm not an anomaly, there hundreds of thousands of people in the same situation. The federal government allowed the loan providers to get to this point via lack of oversite, and now they are in the position of having to hide it lest it's complicit in what amounts to predatory pay day loan lending that's put many people from the private markets into prison.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 23 August 2019, 08:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
I was retired at 40% in 1971. Received 100% P&T in 1995.a lot of vets have 100% P&T, but not retired. I guess there are several ways to look at what vets receive.
This... most times VA gives a basic initial rating for a wound/injury/illness. As time progresses, the condition worsens and Vet needs to be aware that the burden is normally upon them to seek increased ratings.

Of the just over 750K Vets the VA says are in receipt of 100% - 363K are Individually Unemployable because of one or more disabilities. They are not 100% P&T. There is a "recovery" period following major surgeries such as knee or hip replacement, prostate surgery, heart surgery, etc., where the Vet may get a temporary 100% disability rating subject to re-evaluation,
It has been a long time since I mined the VA data - but it is in there. My recollection is that the total number of 100 P&T rated Vets was/is slightly over a quarter million Vets. Overall the number of Vets is in freefall. Additionally, with medical advances patients are better able to function with disabilities. One would expect the numbers to continue to go down.
Old 23 August 2019, 09:41
Authorized Personnel

I've been jacked up since 2005, in the VA system since 2006. No way my brain is going to regenerate the necrotic areas that suffered permanent damage. Unless it's hidden, I am not P&T and I can find no designation as such on any documentation--which means no benefits associated with P&T.

But, I am able to hold a job, so I believe P&T is based on employability?
Old 23 August 2019, 10:47
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
I am not P&T and I can find no designation as such on any documentation--which means no benefits associated with P&T.

But, I am able to hold a job, so I believe P&T is based on employability?
P&T is not based upon employability. P&T doesn't increase a Vet's disability compensation.... When you see Senator Duckworth of Illinois on TV, remember she is rated 100% P&T and that based upon loss of both legs above the knee (she also has other ratings but once you get to 100% that's it, although there may be special monthly compensation or eligibility for adaptive grants). 100% P&T Vets can and do work (Senator John McCain was another example - as was Max Cleland). The "P" means the disability is not expected to get better, the "T" means it is total (100%). Once a rating is P&T then VA does not program further physical evaluations of the condition.

Some Veterans have a disability (i.e. a bad back rated at 60%) that prevents them from meaningful employment upon which they can earn a living. If the Vet's bad back makes them Individually Unemployable, VA awards them a 100% disability rating. IU Vets are restricted in how much they can work/earn. If they violate the limitations the VA rescinds to 100% IU rating.
Old 23 August 2019, 11:05
Authorized Personnel

Yeah, I figured as much. I've yet to see or hear anything regarding it for my own TBI. I have found references to stabilizing ratings based on a 10 and 20 year mark, but nothing indicative of getting P&T in my case. Brain injuries are a tough cookie, I admit. But physiologically, my brain isn't going to regenerate the damaged areas.

My state has some nice additional benefits for those with the P&T designation. Would be nice to use them.
Old 23 August 2019, 13:23
Authorized Personnel

I want Veterans to have every advantage possible over the rest of civilian society. As such, I am all for this.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation. -Me
Old 23 August 2019, 16:05
Make a desert and call it peace.

^, one more step on the path to Heinleinian democracy, ie citizen investment in nationhood.

And keep the main thing the main thing, does it hurt the academic shitlib edu-indoctrination complex? If yes=good. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 23 August 2019, 19:07
Confirmed User

waiving loans but do you still have to pay taxable income for this?
Old 23 August 2019, 19:59
Moving Target

This is not new. Last year I talked to the ED department and was told that I could have my loans forgiven if I was 100% .
Old 24 August 2019, 10:52
Authorized Personnel

I believe there are very low limits on federal student loans; I think you can only get $5,000-$10,000 a year. It's my understanding that the vast majority of student loans (by value) are from private lenders. I dont think the federal government has any ability to forgive those loans.
Old 24 August 2019, 11:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I believe there are very low limits on federal student loans; I think you can only get $5,000-$10,000 a year. It's my understanding that the vast majority of student loans (by value) are from private lenders. I dont think the federal government has any ability to forgive those loans.
No legal authority to "forgive" those loans.... but politicians can "pay" for them with our taxes. Buying votes by any means necessary....

Our new posting rules