SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 3 September 2019, 16:52
Find a way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I believe there are very low limits on federal student loans; I think you can only get $5,000-$10,000 a year. It's my understanding that the vast majority of student loans (by value) are from private lenders. I dont think the federal government has any ability to forgive those loans.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loan...ent-loan-debt/

Most student loans — about 92%, according to a December 2018 report by MeasureOne, an academic data firm — are owned by the U.S. Department of Education.

Total federal student loan borrowers: 43 million.
Total outstanding federal student loan debt: $1.4 trillion.

The .Gov does have some hands to play. Whether or not they will make a good hand remains to be seen.

-Michael Malice
Old 3 September 2019, 18:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/loan...ent-loan-debt/

Most student loans about 92%, according to a December 2018 report by MeasureOne, an academic data firm are owned by the U.S. Department of Education.

Total federal student loan borrowers: 43 million.
Total outstanding federal student loan debt: $1.4 trillion.

The .Gov does have some hands to play. Whether or not they will make a good hand remains to be seen.
My mistake. Good to know. Thank you for the education.
Old 7 September 2019, 15:48
In Vino Veritas

I have a friend (100% P&P) just got $120k of school debt relived.

And the night after I talked to him the VA was kind enough to send me a letter stating I "owe them" $31,197.75 for an over payment in "termination or changes in training". LOL, it's so laughable that I am not even upset. My only guess is that they think I didn't complete my undergrad? As that would be close to the amount they paid me. This is after they just sent me about $10k for school and a change in the "kicker" that they underpaid me for the whole time I was getting my undergrad. So I foresee a lot of cursing and banging my head against the wall as I work with the VA on this... If it was for bad luck lately I wouldn't have any luck...

Our new posting rules