SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 28 May 2002, 07:08
Crimson Guard

Inside Delta Force

I'm just about finished with Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney. Good book. I recommend it to anyone interested in Delta. Many of the things he talks about are very interesting, and some things he encountered were just plain infuriating (the part about POWs had my blood boiling). He also seems to have a pretty low opinion of the CIA.

He was in Delta from the late 70's to the mid 80's. Definitely worth a look guys.
Old 28 May 2002, 19:40
Authorized Personnel

I finished last week and it is a very good book. Jumps around a bit but I was surprised at the change in tempo at the end. The whole POW part has me completely wondering what was actually going on.
Old 29 May 2002, 01:04
Confirmed User

I caught quite a bit of it during an "extended stay" at the book store (read: wife was shopping :P).

I love the bit where he describes his first arrival at selection and meeting up with Sgt. Major Shumate...that was a riot.

"I am not a terrorist, I am a freedom fighter."
Old 29 May 2002, 01:43
Confirmed User

I finished the book last week, great read. It brings a human side to the dreaded D. It made me aware that the elite men that serve and protect us are not superhuman in any way other than their high level of courage.

The part about his first meeting with Sgtmaj. Shumate was hilarious, Haney said he looked like "JoeShit The ragman".
"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, form the beginning of revenge upon the enemy..." -Deuteronomy 32: 39-42
Old 30 May 2002, 18:13
Crimson Guard

I kind of have to disagree with you in regards to the wondering about his life comment you made. I didn't see that at all. In fact, he almost never mentions his wife and family, and aside from his intro and a few pictures, he mentions very little about his life before the Army.
Old 30 May 2002, 18:30
Confirmed User

CSM Haney does not delve into details about the Organizational structure of Delta. The most details he gives are ones about selection, but even that is not highly detailed.

Basically in his book, you won't find any new information than what is written in other books or on the internet about Delta Force. It is very general and vague at best.
"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand. For I lift up my hand to heaven, and say, I live for ever. If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me. I will make mine arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh; and that with the blood of the slain and of the captives, form the beginning of revenge upon the enemy..." -Deuteronomy 32: 39-42
Old 6 June 2002, 09:59
Probationary User

Thumbs up Inside Delta Force

Now that the dust has settled from the return fire prompted by Gobble's comments, I will give my brief thoughts on the book.

BTW - Simple rule, Gobble - read more then you write for now. Post us all a message after you return from Basic/AIT or equivalent and we shall be happy to hear of your experience, not your "friend's".

Anyway, back on topic -

I met with Eric Haney last night at a book signing in Marietta, GA. Good guy. I am only about 3/4 of the way through the book, but it has been an excellant read so far. Much better then the traditional "chest beating" books that other military members have written. After the signing, I had an opportunity to talk "around" some subjects with him and get to know him a little better. I didn't request to see a copy of his DD214, but I believe him to be genuine. His wife was also one of the nicest people you could ever meet as well.

One of the things I really enjoyed was the fact that he told the story without giving too much operational tactics and techniques. It allowed those of us who have always wondered to hear about the pride and heroism without the "bad guys" knowing how to better defend against them. I respected that.

Now, my only Delta experience involves driving or ruchmarching past Range 19 on my way to Sicily, but I just wanted to share my thoughts on this particular book. 4 out of 5. I recommend it.

kmiller
Old 7 June 2002, 22:23
Confirmed User

I finished the book tonight, and also recommend it. It's hard to put down.
Old 18 June 2002, 20:01

Excellent book. The POW thing was really sickening. Whats the story on Gritz? Wasn`t he involved in the Ruby ridge siege?
Old 18 June 2002, 20:17
Crimson Guard

Yeah he was. At first he showed up with homemade arrest warrants for the Marshalls and the FBI, then in a complete reversal the FBI sent him inside the Weaver cabin to talk them into coming out.

Gritz got real big in the militia movement. I remember after the Oklahoma City bombing he gave a speech calling it a work of art. Later, after they were on the news pulling out the bodies of babies and such he started claiming the CIA was involved.

I think he killed himself a couple years ago.
Old 19 June 2002, 14:52
Confirmed User

No Gritz is still alive--he "aided" in the hunt for Eric Rudolf. You may be thinking of the guy who sang the ballad of the Green Beret.

I thought Haney's book was very good--I am quite surprised the story about the POWs has not received more attention. Very terrible if its true.
Old 20 June 2002, 21:34
Sapper12B
Visitor

Daredevil,

Gritz attempted suicide years ago by shooting himself in the chest with a revolver. I believe it was because his wife had left him. I used to listen to his radio show for entertainment and that was his story as he told it.

CSM Haney's book is an excellent insight into how he thought about things, not just how to do raids, recons, ambushes, and entries. I think that is why you don't come away with an "egotistical hype" impression from the book. Very humble for a man who should have THE biggest ego around. I read the book in 6 1/2 hours........
Old 2 July 2002, 13:16
Tank_Killer
Visitor

Inside Delta Force

I guess I'm going to jump on the Eric Haney bandwagon as well. I thought the book was great, particularly the part about selection. It only took me about four hours to read the book. The picture of him in the apron labelled 'a critical commando task - baking bread' cracked me up. My wife even enjoyed the book and she has no military inclinations whatsover.
Old 4 July 2002, 01:17
Sapper12B
Visitor

By the way, what thoughts did you guys have about the op in Central America where his team killed Saenz....... the SF'er?
Old 4 July 2002, 02:35
Authorized Personnel

I wish Haney would have divulged more about it but towards the end he kinda gave off a disliking for the agency. Maybe it was involved in this incident with Saenz but one can only suspect.
Old 9 July 2002, 09:45
Going back

To rekindle this thread:

I just finished the book and thought it was very easy to read. Haney's either got a great writing style or a great editor. While he went into detail about Selection the the OTC, I wish he could've fleshed out more detail about some of the ops (which is understandable).

The part about Saenz was just...odd. The POW issue: I'd read about parts of that about 10 years ago. The 11 Billion dollar figure that Nixon promised was real. Does all of that in the book point to a conspiracy? I think so. We'll probably never know. His take on Gritz makes sense.

Overall the book was a great read.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 24 July 2002, 20:54
Probationary User

This book was an absolutely great read. Highly recommended.
Old 25 July 2002, 23:10
Probationary User

I have just finished reading the book and i would agree with all that has been written and say that as well as being a good book it is much better written then many of the military books you read.
Old 5 November 2002, 16:40
Been There Done That

I had a chance to met with Mr. Haney for nearly 3 hours over lunch in Georgia. He was very friendly and seemed truely interested in my future in the military. One statement he made about the book that I found to be extremely interesting was that the book only covered %5 of his career in Delta. That means the book left out %95. I thought he was very busy with what was in the book; I can't imagine how busy he must of been with the other %95. I definately enjoyed the book and definately recommend trying to met him in person if possible.
Old 6 November 2002, 01:27
Authorized Personnel

I don't know if anyone here has seen CSM Haney on CNN as an analyst during the month of October but he does come off very humble but extremely informative about how the media mogels misrepresent facts and and have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to military and police tactics.

Our new posting rules