SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Welcome To SOCNET > Introduce Yourself With Your First Post Here

Old 21 December 2009, 14:23

Hey guys, thanks for having me.

I'm a financial advisor and college student, with a career goal in LE as a K9 handler. I am currently exploring my options with both police departments and the military, looking at possibly joining the National Guard to get some experience.
Old 22 December 2009, 01:49

Hello! I am obviously new to this forum--I spent 9 years in active duty Army, 7 as special operations support as a veterinarian. I was honored to be invited into this community to serve alongside (or a couple steps behind) all of the Spec Ops folks on the front lines. I have moved on to other things now, but still serve in the Army Reserves. It was a surreal and awesome experience, which sometimes I think "Holy cow! Did that actually happen!?!" now that I am back to "normal" life as a civilian.
Old 22 December 2009, 01:54
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSwayze View Post
Hello,

I got out of the Army a year ago. I was an Infantry Officer. I served in the 2nd Combined Arms Battalion 69th Armor Regiment 3rd BDE 3rd ID.
I thought you would be bigger

Welcome to Socnet
Old 22 December 2009, 02:27

Hey, I'm new haha. I found this website in my hunt for the T-10 Airborne kit I need. I'm a Vietnam War Re-enactor up here in Ontario, Canada. Most Americans wonder why a Canadian would re-enact Vietnam, but it's estimated that 40,000 Canadians crossed into the US to volunteer for battle in Vietnam. Everyday Canadians don't even know this and this is our (mine and our groups) mission, letting Canadians know that a few of our best did what they felt was right and served with pride and honour. All VN vets had it bad, but Canadian VN vets were seen as mercenaries as they weren't force by our government to go and on top of that received no support from WWII/Korea vet groups or any medical coverage. We just aim to bring their sacrifice to the eyes of current Canadians.

We focus on 2/503d/173rd which was the first major US Army Combat unit in, one of the last to leave and did the only US airborne jump during the war (aside from SF units of course). I'm our platoon medic and fully kitted out and now I'd like to get my airborne items as we may have access to a C-130 Herc next summer. For a re-enactor riding on a Herc is like a wet dream and the photos should look amazing.

I also plan on joining the Canadian Forces as it's been my life long goal. I plan on going in the Infantry to start off, finish my contract, see the civy world and if I go back I'll enlist as a medic which will increase my odds of being placed in a combat unit instead of in a hospital. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Take care
Old 22 December 2009, 04:15

intro

hello

new here -1st post
34 old
civilian, work in IT Data Security
interests - SF; IT^2; and travelling, lots of travelling....

thanks for a chance to be close to your community, sorry for my language if I made some mistakes , english isn't my first...

best regards to all SF'ers all over a world
Old 22 December 2009, 11:19

Hi guys,

My names Will and I work for Raw TV, who are behind the series "Locked-Up Abroad" on the National Geographic Channel and we're currently putting together a new docudrama show about amazing stories of survival and escape in military and civilian situations. So if there is any story you really would love to see on the screen as a docudrama from the last 30 years or so of military operations it would be much appreciated if you would point me in the right direction. In terms of recent stories in current conflict zones, I totally understand about protocol, and would not be asking for any violation of Army regs or policy, simply that if you are able to tell a story, Raw would love to hear it. Many thanks for your assistance.

Will
Old 22 December 2009, 12:13
Confirmed User

Hello Will-

I'm a tolerated guest here and have spent my entire post-military career in the entertainment industry. In fact, I have an office near the NatGeo and Discovery Channel headquarters. I now specialize in (pro) military content, and have been vetted by a number of BTDT SOCNETters.

That said, the members here are wary of the entertainment industry and the people in it, especially those that exploit the troops' stories without fair compensation.
You may find willing participants, but don't count on it. Those that do choose to participate will most likely seek my counsel in private, and I'll advise them ask for a consultant's fee.

Having developed projects for History, Discovery, etc., I'm betting this isn't in your budget.

In any event, welcome aboard.

Last edited by JumpCut; 22 December 2009 at 12:41. Reason: Sausage fingers
Old 22 December 2009, 22:28

Can't find the post I placed here when I signed up so just to make sure.

6 Years US Army 11B2P (1995-2001)
3/325 Vicenza, Italy
1/508 Vicenza, Italy
4/31 Ft Drum, NY
Got out in March 2001

Just re-enlisted today (12/22/2009) for 89D (EOD).
Old 22 December 2009, 23:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemoretime View Post
Just re-enlisted today (12/22/2009) for 89D (EOD).

That's worth an Atta Boy, good for you.
Old 23 December 2009, 02:14

Hi Mike here.
I was turn on to this site by a war buddy! ok, an online war buddy was plays travian!

I spent 1983-89 in the army reserves has a chairborn ranger
aka computer operator and computer programmer

My family goes back as well, 2 brother who were nam vets
dad was army air core, his dad was wwI vet.

so now I am a network engineer looking for a job
Old 23 December 2009, 13:52
Been There Done That

Introduction

I'm a retired Special Forces officer with time in 10th and 3rd Groups as well as CA. I have lots of joint time and and spent a few years in NATO. I spent my entire career oriented on Europe and Africa and of course lots of time in southwest Asia. I'm currently involved in program management and business development with a government contractor with ties to the SO, DOS and intelligence communities.
Old 23 December 2009, 17:55

Navy brat, married to another navy brat. Born in 1974 and my neighbor who is a retired Ranger gave me the tag Sherpa and it stuck. Work in the video game industry and have a great respect for our Military. Thanks for having me aboard.
Old 23 December 2009, 19:54
Amaint de Merde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
It was a surreal and awesome experience, which sometimes I think "Holy cow! Did that actually happen!?!" now that I am back to "normal" life as a civilian.
"I squeeeeesh your head!"

If I may be so bold: Welcome!
Old 23 December 2009, 22:35

Long time lurker on here.

Former active duty Army Infantryman, served in the following units:

A Co 1st Batt 18th Inf, 1st Inf Div. Schweinfurt, GE 2002-2005
Deployed to Iraq for OIF 2

B Co 2nd Batt 502nd Inf, 101st ABN Div. Ft.Campbell, KY 2005-2006
Deployed to Iraq for OIF 4

Currently ARNG.

Just here to soak up some knowledge from the BTDTs on here.

Thank you
Old 24 December 2009, 23:42

Former active duty Army Infantryman

1999-2002

E5 SGT
Dco 2nd Bat. 504th PIR, 82nd ABN

EIB, 2 AAM

Just here to soak up knowledge of weapon systems, and to learn some history.
I'm getting back to my shooting habits and looking for advice and I heard from users this was the place to come.

Thanks.
Old 25 December 2009, 01:17
Confirmed User

From the big Sand Box, Happy Holidays to everyone here!! I am happy to have been accepted into your group. Stay Safe Everyone!!
Old 25 December 2009, 22:17

Merry Christmas! Hey everyone. Been lurking around here for the last couple of months, finally decided to join in. Currently Air National Guard pilot and in my 15th year of public safety(firefighter/deputy sheriff). I enjoy reading the posts, learning a little bit, and hearing from others that Make It Happen! Stay safe and keep up the good work!
Old 26 December 2009, 00:10
Confirmed User

Hello.

I served in the U.S. Army from 1993 to 1999. I served in the 82 Airborne Division. (Delta Company 782 MSB.) Which was the only unit I served in. I left the Army with 45 jumps under my belt.

I've been reading socnet since 1999. But for some reason it took me a decade to finally sign up.
Old 26 December 2009, 10:54

I am a Navy F-18 pilot. Found your site when reading up on some CAS information and check in periodically to see what guys are putting out about current operations.
Old 26 December 2009, 11:42

Hello, My name is Taylor hence my username. Greeting to everyone.

Our new posting rules