SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 February 2018, 11:19
Make a desert and call it peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I built the frame from an old satellite dish mount and used self tapping sheet metal screws.
This made me think of something.

A good general purpose tool setup and a miscellaneous assortment of fasteners and fittings should be part of any long term survival plan. Plumbing should be figured in there as well. Duct tape and JB weld only goes so far. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 19 February 2018, 14:34

I have the very real possibility of building my own home on some land in the not too distant future (~1-2years). I've always hated the fact that solar panels have been a HUGE opsec problem for anyone seeking to just gray man their castle fortress. However, Musk has come out with those solar shingles at, so they claim, a very low relative price-point that I definitely will be keeping track of until the time to build occurs. A few article say that Tesla is working to make them price-competitive with traditional shingles. In combination with 2 of those PowerWall things Tesla is putting out, I think it's a fantastic investment in the future and in self-sufficiency and lifestyle sustainability.

It remains to be seen if Tesla can deliver on it's promises, but whichever way it turns out, I'll be having a few powerpacks in the casa, along with solar on the roof. And a generator room inside with inputs to run directly into the house wiring without running a spaghetti mess of extension cords or zapping any utility workers.
Old 19 February 2018, 16:23
Old Scroll

The acme of home self-sufficient power is a hydro turbine, running on a water source that simply will not dry up on you. Find a nice high-flow year-round spring that's got good fall and is remote enough and you're in high cotton.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 February 2018, 17:06

I would love to do micro hydro. Unfortunately, those prereqs for one don't exist where I'll be at, so no go for me. Micro hydro like this https://youtu.be/t0UGVg1p0XI is probably one of the best things I can think of for truly sustainable off grid activity with minimal impact to the lifestyle to which many of us have become accustomed.

12kW of energy (such as that video portrays), FREE, has amazing potential for boosting every other area of a potential homestead.
Old 19 February 2018, 18:13
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
The acme of home self-sufficient power is a hydro turbine,
I'm looking into this now. I have both a pond and a strong running stream. I'm sitting on a full load of GI bill money and the local community college has a two semester alternative energy program, solar, wind and hydro. I'm going to start it fall semester.
Old 19 February 2018, 23:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
This made me think of something.

A good general purpose tool setup and a miscellaneous assortment of fasteners and fittings should be part of any long term survival plan. Plumbing should be figured in there as well. Duct tape and JB weld only goes so far. S/F....Ken M
There is a pretty decent free pdf called Beyond Collapse that has some good tool and building material lists. I thought the whole book was pretty well done especial for the price.
Old 20 February 2018, 13:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
There is a pretty decent free pdf called Beyond Collapse that has some good tool and building material lists. I thought the whole book was pretty well done especial for the price.
Good read so far.

Found it here.

http://www.survivalcivilization.com/?page_id=70

Thanks for the info.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 20 February 2018, 14:08
Old Scroll

Rotation of stock is very important. While it's a good, even necessary thing to put up significant stocks of foodstuffs, they don't last forever. Unless you have all freeze-dried goods which will last a quarter century but which are notoriously lacking in calories, you will eventually have to rotate your stock.

Items like dry rice and beans will last a decade or more if properly prepared and stored. Canned foods can go for up to about eight years, but keep a close watch for any seepage from or bulging of the cans.

In 2010 I put up lots of side stuff, including a dozen boxes of various cereals. 7 mil mylar 12" bags with plenty of oxygen absorbers, filled with cereal and then sealed under vacuum seem to have stood up very well. I opened and ate a bag cranberry and macadamia nut granola a few weeks ago and it was just fine. I had been worried that the trace of oils, primarily in the nuts, might have gone rancid, but that worry proved unfounded.

Last week I opened a bag of Cheerios... perfect condition. Here's a second bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018021.jpg (74.5 KB, 157 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 21 February 2018, 06:27
Been There Done That

Just a passing thought- if you're getting ready to buy a year's worth of anything for the TEOTWAWKI/SHTF event, you probably should try it for taste and versatility; I actually LIKE SPAM in many of its incarnations, but I wouldn't want to eat it EVERY DAY.

Try some samples and don't adhere to a single source just for convenience...
Old 21 February 2018, 10:09
Confirmed User

With a little planning you can buy a years worth of real food items fairly easily. Here in the NW we have these Winco stores that are kind of like a JV Costco but better in my opinion. I'm sure there are similar deals elsewhere. They have bulk section plus buckets and mylar bags and oxygen absorbent etc. When I hunt I eat Mtn House a lot mostly for convenience but I damn sure wouldn't want to eat them for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelocks View Post

Thanks for the info.
No problem. I liked it enough I actually bought a hard copy.

Last edited by wowzers; 21 February 2018 at 10:28.
Old 21 February 2018, 10:30
Shakin' the bush Boss

I'm adding two new garden plots this year that I don't currently need, but I'm going to go ahead and get them prepped and just use them for wildlife foodplots until I would need them for consumable food production. My current plot is adequate for current needs.

ETA - Next payday I'm going to start putting back a 5 gal bucket of HD Vision Special Ops sunglasses. I just can't see surviving without them.

Last edited by Gsniper; 21 February 2018 at 10:37.
Old 21 February 2018, 13:24

Hot sauce and spices. I have a shitload of Zatarains Creole seasoning that I drop on everything. Chicken, fish, veggies, eggs, etc. I could probably do the beans and rice thing for a year if I had my spices.
Old 21 February 2018, 14:00
Old Scroll

Monotony in a diet is tough, but if you're still eating whilst those around you are not, well... you're still eating.

I keep about a hundred (total) of the large cans of tuna, pork, and chicken on the shelf, and pull from the front as I add to the back.

I've not yet rotated the 5 gallon buckets of beans, rice, and oatmeal that I've put up (50 gallons total) but it might just be a one-for-one replacement deal, as 5 gallons of dried pinto beans really don't cost that much.

These days I've been putting up odd stuff, like bic lighters, canned kerosene, Aladdin lamp wicks and mantles, measuring scoops, sleeping bags and stuff sacks, etc. Mostly non-food items that if you've got the space and time, are good to have in reserve. Oh, I've been loading up on Shabbat candles. Cheap at the grocery in the Kosher section or maybe the Dollar Store, and they burn a long time for their size.

Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 21 February 2018, 14:43
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
ETA - Next payday I'm going to start putting back a 5 gal bucket of HD Vision Special Ops sunglasses. I just can't see surviving without them.
I just got some strange looks from people in my office because I spit water all over my desk when I read this.
Old 21 February 2018, 15:43
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
...I opened and ate a bag cranberry and macadamia nut granola a few weeks ago and it was just fine. I had been worried that the trace of oils, primarily in the nuts, might have gone rancid, but that worry proved unfounded...
Any particular brand? Was it generic or "organic" (i.e. did it have preservatives already added)?
Old 21 February 2018, 16:00
Old Scroll

It wasn't Post or anything, but I really don't recall after nearly 8 years.

Put stuff up, open it years later, and see if you win...

ETA: Wasn't intending to come across as being flip, but I think it sounded like it. Look for cereals and related things that have little to no fats / oils in them, as it WILL eventually go rancid. Ground coffee is an example, along with just about any kind of nuts. That's why I was worried about the macadamias. Green coffee, though, will store pretty well; you'll just have to grind and roast it somewhere on down the road.

Melville / Captain Ahab

Last edited by B 2/75; 21 February 2018 at 16:33.
Old 21 February 2018, 16:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Bro you fucking kill me.

I'm sure Tonto Paronto is proud of that jewel of a commercial.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 February 2018, 16:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
I have a shitload of Zatarains Creole seasoning that I drop on everything.

Zatarains is good. Tony Chachere's is better.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 February 2018, 17:35
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've got 10 gal of table salt and 10 gal of tenderquick curing salt, 2 1gal containers of black pepper and a 5 gal bucket of oddball stuff like season all, etc.
Old 21 February 2018, 17:40
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
...Tony Chachere's is better.
I put Tony's and Tabasco on just about everything...but, have you tried Slap Ya Mama yet? It's some good stuff!

Our new posting rules