SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

View Poll Results: What % of Friends/Family are Fully Prepared for Global Disaster (3-18 Month Survival)
Less than 1% 83 44.86%
1-10% 64 34.59%
10-20% 19 10.27%
20-30% 10 5.41%
Greater than 30% 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 June 2019, 00:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Taters and tomatoes should be the staple of any SHTF garden, IMHO... The production quantity (yield) is above the curve for the space and work input.

You don't have to can them, just store the taters and sun dry the tomatoes - starch and Vit C are essential supplements to whatever proteins you may hunt/raise/forage...
I'd add squash/pumpkins to the mix. And beans.
Old 9 June 2019, 13:27
Shakin' the bush Boss

Right now I raise a hobby garden, but I have the ground, equipment and storage capacity to take it to a homestead size garden immediately. I keep enough food on hand to last the first year without the larger garden.
Old 9 June 2019, 17:53
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Taters and tomatoes should be the staple of any SHTF garden, IMHO... The production quantity (yield) is above the curve for the space and work input.

You don't have to can them, just store the taters and sun dry the tomatoes - starch and Vit C are essential supplements to whatever proteins you may hunt/raise/forage...
Tomatoes came out our ears last year. I agree with the taters, although I prefer sweet potatoes. We still have 30lbs from last year. (Making air fries tonight). Our tomato crop will be paltry this year as we grew from seeds and planted them plants the one night it got a bit too chilly. New plantings + the cold knocked them back quite a bit.
Old 9 June 2019, 17:53
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I'd add squash/pumpkins to the mix. And beans.
Three sisters......
Old 9 June 2019, 23:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Three sisters......
Yep. Not glorious but the essentials to get you through.
Old 10 June 2019, 16:06
been ***** **** that

I need fresh cucumbers, about the only vine we grow now as the rest of the huge gardens are no longer in use. I miss having butternut squash on hand, though. I have a whole passel of dried poblanos and herbs so I am not growing any this year.
Old 11 June 2019, 09:31
Hard to Kill

To get back on the disaster track, do you guys have the food to last a year until you can grow some semblance of a garden?
Old 11 June 2019, 13:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
To get back on the disaster track, do you guys have the food to last a year until you can grow some semblance of a garden?
Not even close. It is a work in progress though.
Old 11 June 2019, 14:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
yes...

I would advise folks to rehearse their food plan, however, before they convince themselves that they have a plan/supplies for any given period of time...
Old 11 June 2019, 15:56
Shakin' the bush Boss

Then double it.
Old 11 June 2019, 22:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Not yet either. Depending on the time of year I'd have to either hit the wild game hard or take the garden to eleven. Garden has been slow due to the billion other things to do plus work.

My limiting factor in the garden is not having a well and working off my cistren. If thing went to hell in a hand basket it be a long walk to the river to pack water. Can't get my pond done soon enough...
Old 14 June 2019, 15:16
FNG

I have a question for you guys. Hopefully, I am not out of line here.

My wife has Epilepsy, and her meds (without insurance) run for approximately 7K/month. For stockpiling for a SHTF situation, does anyone have a reliable on-line source to get prescription meds? Or maybe knows some other way of obtaining vital medication for these scenarios. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 14 June 2019, 15:40
The atomic zit

What does a well cost in Idaho?

Last time I had one put in for a client they were running about $100 a foot, at a 50/60 foot table depth.

At least 10-year-old news. I’m sure they have doubled by now.

I doubt the water table is rising, and I’m certain that the people that know how to drill a well are falling.
Old 14 June 2019, 15:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
What does a well cost in Idaho?

Last time I had one put in for a client they were running about $100 a foot, at a 50/60 foot table depth.

At least 10-year-old news. Iím sure they have doubled by now.

I doubt the water table is rising, and Iím certain that the people that know how to drill a well are falling.
I'm looking at somewhere in the 20k range with no guarantee that I'll hit water.
Old 14 June 2019, 16:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smith View Post
I have a question for you guys. Hopefully, I am not out of line here.

My wife has Epilepsy, and her meds (without insurance) run for approximately 7K/month. For stockpiling for a SHTF situation, does anyone have a reliable on-line source to get prescription meds? Or maybe knows some other way of obtaining vital medication for these scenarios. Any advice is appreciated.
I am a type 1 diabetic and the best method I have found is to use your insurances approved 90 day mail order RX plan, then sign up for auto delivery. These mail order pharmacies seem to have a slight leeway and will mail you a refill that will last at least 90 days every 75 to 80 days. After a couple of years you will note that you are starting to accumulate a stockpile.
RIP 4-79 (HG)
class 4-80
Old 14 June 2019, 19:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Welshan View Post
I am a type 1 diabetic and the best method I have found is to use your insurances approved 90 day mail order RX plan, then sign up for auto delivery. These mail order pharmacies seem to have a slight leeway and will mail you a refill that will last at least 90 days every 75 to 80 days. After a couple of years you will note that you are starting to accumulate a stockpile.
I think the way Terry goes about it will be best. Any other way will not be by legal means and risk federal retribution unless this disaster is a government crippling one.

Has anyone in this thread talked about, or has, built a conex bunker?

If you make multiple would it be possible to create a green room in one for sustained food supply?
Old 15 June 2019, 00:15
been ***** **** that

The entire big pharma and their ilk can suck my Dick Tracy! How it has gotten this out of hand, boggles my mind. I continually pray those of you with serious medication issues can find some long term relief!
Old 15 June 2019, 02:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
Has anyone in this thread talked about, or has, built a conex bunker?
Conex Boxes aka Shipping containers require significant structural modification/reinforcement to make them capable of safely handling the loads required of an underground structure.

https://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/why-you-shouldnt-bury-a-shipping-container-for-a-shtf-bunker/
Old 15 June 2019, 03:02
been ***** **** that

I have never messed with one, but as a concrete bozo, I could figure it out. I would dig a hole, do my plumbing, hvac and electrical or whatever, pour a footing , set the container, brace off the inside to the max, but maybe not have to do that much. Then I would order a freaking concrete truck with a full load . I would figure the rest out as I go..... and I have no doubt I would get it done. Or....I would say screw the container and go with one of the concrete bunkers I already drew up years ago....all it would take me is time and money! I also know how I would retro fit one in an existing basement, but have not had any brave souls to take me up on one!

Last edited by schibbs; 15 June 2019 at 03:10.
Old 15 June 2019, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Conex Boxes aka Shipping containers require significant structural modification/reinforcement to make them capable of safely handling the loads required of an underground structure.

https://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/why-you-shouldnt-bury-a-shipping-container-for-a-shtf-bunker/
Well cotton pick'n chicken pluck'n
Thought it was as easy as drop and cover. Thanks for sending me that. Guess ill be looking at alternative options.

Our new posting rules