SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 18 August 2017, 06:37
Been There Done That

Vegetarianism = Depression?

Interesting article. Kind of confirms what I have seen/studied. Many strict Vegan diets are just not getting some of the nutrients/protein they really need. Some other studies showing that high consumption of soy products for men can lower testosterone in men.

http://www.ajc.com/news/study-vegeta...HG3SKfJjaOj9O/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 August 2017, 19:26
Confirmed User

I've NEVER met a Vegan/Vegetarian who looked happy or healthy

We have bicuspids for a reason....
Old 18 August 2017, 20:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
I've NEVER met a Vegan/Vegetarian who looked happy or healthy

We have bicuspids for a reason....
Same here. I don't know about happy but everyone I met looked unhealthy.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 18 August 2017, 20:53
Been There Done That

I know one pescatarian (eats fish occasionally, for a protein bump, generally before a race) that works out hard and is in great shape. yes she's hot and gages for SOTB, no pics.

I knew a couple back when that were in decent shape, and at least looked healthy. but they worked out too, and made an effort to get a good balance and enough protein.

most of them? don't work out, and don't look healthy.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 19 August 2017, 08:52
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Same here. I don't know about happy but everyone I met looked unhealthy.
By ‘not happy’ I mean that they always seemed more proud of their vegetarian ‘status’ or ideology (“I’m a vegetarian, hear me roar”!!!) despite how they look. Seems kinda forced happiness to me.

I recently had diner at a friends house (retired Lt. Col. USMC 24 yrs helicopter pilot, wife a California girl ex ‘80’s music video model …total VEGAN…opposites attract I guess ).

The Vegan diner she prepared for us was amazing, the desert was awesome (soy everything, no milk)…but dang the preparation involved is expensive and time consuming (soak those sprouts 24 hours ahead of time!). And they’re always scrambling to get the right amount of protein (eat lottsa beans!) in the mix.

The meal was excellent….you felt satisfied at the end and not bloated or ‘full’....kind of a clean feeling.

So while I think there's something to it (especially with all the processed foods these days), I still believe we need animal protein until it can be replicated in a laboratory (which scientist are trying to do)

Last edited by 19MIKE; 19 August 2017 at 08:59. Reason: spelling error
Old 19 August 2017, 17:54
Been There Done That

^That is part of the problem. To get a complete amino acid profile using only vegetable proteins, you have to eat a lot of veggies and have to really mix and match. Much preparation, much time. And can be costly. Where as with one piece of meat, eggs, etc. you are covered. IIRC from university days, the "biological value" which is based on protein quality, eggs are 100%. Most animal proteins have a BV of the mid to upper 90%. Where as vegetable proteins drop in BV down to around 50 - 75 %.

Also, for children it essential. Protein deficiency is a leading problem in underdeveloped areas. Some eggs or fish is great. So no problem with the Vegetarians who then though eat eggs and fish.

Of course one can go the other extreme and have too much protein, not eat enough fruits and veggies.

I think also, at least for me, when I have some good ole animal protein and fat, I feel less hungry and satisfied. As with carbs and sweets I get that sugar high, then the sugar crash.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 24 August 2017, 06:15
Confirmed User

Bill Gates and Richard Branson Back Startup That Grows ‘Clean Meat’

Well here ya go....this popped up on the news today

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hout-slaughter
Old 24 August 2017, 08:59
BTDT

In an article in 'The News & Observer' the author (Jeremy Frieling) reported that clean meatballs run about $18,000 per pound.

I have no interest in food that costs lots of money to produce in an attempt to make it taste similar to a chicken. Even the lead scientist characterized the frankenmeat like this...
the mouth feel was far more meaty than other meat substitutes.”
...so it tastes more like meat than other fake meat.

we really ARE living in the matrix - no wonder everything tastes like chicken
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 24 August 2017, 10:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
In an article in 'The News & Observer' the author (Jeremy Frieling) reported that clean meatballs run about $18,000 per pound.
^^^ Yeah well if/when/once the democrats regain power…and the specter of climate change becomes a clear and present danger, the government WILL subsidize the shit out of this industry causing the price point to go waaay down.

It’ll be decreed that All ground beef be mixed with the laboratory meat in 25-50-75% increments (think car emissions) until 100% frankenbeef is attained by the year 2050. Of course by then, only the very rich will be able to afford a steak dinner. Anybody found to be selling or consuming beef with more actual meat content than the government decreed percentage will face a severe penalty/public outing.

The goal is to reduce the number of cattle on this earth because it is proven that cow farts are a leading cause of global warming and we must reduce the number of cattle on this planet.

You’re not thinking of the children!

The government, in doing its part to save the planet, will mandate that ALL MRE’s contain X% of laboratory grown meat. All military personnel (and the poor on food stamps) will be required to buy ‘government meat’. (This will NOT apply to Congress or any members of government). Better buy stock in it now.

Pertaining to the OP, will vegetarians eat the laboratory meat? After all, it wasn’t technically ‘alive’ (kinda like abortion eh?), so it shouldn’t present a moral dilemma….
Old 24 August 2017, 11:43
#BlackRiflesMatter

I was in an extended Keto diet for about 6weeks to get blood sugar/liver/pancreas under control, and now I'm currently doing a modified keto diet (cycling 2wks in and 1wk out), where I'm doing 90% whole foods plant-based with added primary protein sources from eggs and smoked salmon, isolated whey and bone broth.

I do a couple weeks at a time of ketosis (high fat, very low-carb, and very moderate clean-proteins) being strict about fat sources being 98% butter, coconut oil, MCT oil, avacado oil, and Omega 3's. (flax, chia, salmon). Small amounts of cheeses, for flavor. Trying to downsize the amount of Omega 6, and there is plenty in the eggs and handful of daily almonds. Still fighting some "left over" nerve/capillary damage in my toes from previous high Type2 blood sugar, so in fighting inflammation and cleaning that up, I'm seriously upping the Omega3 to Omega6 ratio.

I've cut out most pork and beef, and minimized chicken/turkey to just a few times/week. "Milk" is minimized to a spoonfull heavy cream in the morning's bulletproof coffee (w/ kerrigold butter, MCT, and cinnamon) which is a highlight of the day! I also supplement with a zero carb isolated whey protein in the smoothies to help choke down that f#@king kale and as another relativly clean protein source.

Massive salads and green-leafy smoothies (^potassium) during the one big lunchtime meal. Also, amazingly tasty bone-broth based super-thick vegetable "stews" in the crock-pot that makes sure all the left-over day's vegetables don't go to waste. Proteins also in the mug of bone broth vegetable stew (with butter/MCT/Turmeric/BkPepper/Cayenne) I usually have for a "light" dinner.

When I cycle out of keto for a week, I stay primarily on the same green whole foods/fats, but add in lot of beans and small amount of brown rice. I also add in an occasional good fillet/T-bone/rack-o-ribs during this "off week" and maybe some corn on the cob and a few tacos (corn tortillas only). No wheat/flour, oats, barley, or other grains.

I'm down +35lbs, off of all diabetics medicine (f#@k you pos Metformin!), and working on fixing the previous damage. BP and blood sugar normal. Diabetis (type2) cured in about 5weeks. I have energy and focus, and do about 8mi +/-. of roadwork/day mixed with rowing and core work. Feel great, and better than I have since the mid-1990s.

Working on seriously improving flexibility/agility (after about 5+years of cubicle-life) and I'm thinking I'm almost ready for my next project which is to be the oldest dude in a naked-yoga class. For the "heart" and "stress reduction" benefits, after all. LOL! No LP...NOT in the retirement community! That would be Tai-Chi.

Last edited by Tycon; 24 August 2017 at 12:11.
Old 24 August 2017, 12:31
Confirmed User

Actually, all kidding aside, I went to their website http://www.memphismeats.com/ and it looks pretty appetizing....they may be on to something after all.

Sorry if for the hijack LP
Old 24 August 2017, 13:26
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
I know one pescatarian (eats fish occasionally, for a protein bump, generally before a race) that works out hard and is in great shape. yes she's hot and gages for SOTB, no pics.

I knew a couple back when that were in decent shape, and at least looked healthy. but they worked out too, and made an effort to get a good balance and enough protein.

most of them? don't work out, and don't look healthy.
I'm thinking there should definitely be pictures.

So, I did an image search, and it is easy to see the importance of exercise combined with the plant-based diet! I think regular exercise (at least a minimum of walking, or similar) is critical. It's a big part of keeping the lymphatic system circulating and effective.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=72....0.Rg2LXU6maZ4

And, here's a guy that does a 98% plant-based diet with seemingly no protein deficiency...and looks healthy.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=72...k1.T9jRlXQW1gM

Last edited by Tycon; 24 August 2017 at 13:45.
Old 24 August 2017, 16:19
Been There Done That

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist

Our new posting rules