Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 8 June 2017, 13:58
Voodoo guru

Body Weight - Calisthenics Training Stuff

After breaking my back, I for the most part, stopped doing barbell based training; and have taken wholeheartedly to bodyweight/calisthenic/body skill based training; and I have never in my life felt better or stronger.

I find this type of training more fun, and frankly, harder than typical weighted workouts. Obviously, that's not to say that weighted workouts do not have their place. I love squat's and deadlifts. My ADD head just loves the movement and the tools like kettlebells, rings, parallettes, mace, Indian Clubs, Bulgarian Bag. At 46, I haven't been more limber (and I've always been limber), or stronger in my life. And this is after a broken back.

The bodyweight stuff is in addition to BJJ/MMA/Muay Training. And all of it supplements my addiction of the last year of Indoor Skydiving, because body control is essential in the calisthenic skill workouts. No more back issues, joint issues....

Sounds like religion... I know... Sorry... just want to share something that really helped my old ass out. Which I'd have known this shit will I was a grunt.

Here is a link to my dropbox folder. It is a 3 level skill based, and body recomposition workout routine.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kkoxolmvm...UYyYcgKTa?dl=0

A workout always consists of a warm-up, a skill training session, a workout routine and some stretching to cool down. Only after you've finished all of these sections will you have completed the workout. Make sure you do them all right after each other in one workout session.

All skill training sessions include a detailed explanation of the technique and are then directly followed by a "100 seconds" routine.

This means:

For repetitive skills (e.g. push-ups) do as many reps of the exercise as possible in the 100 seconds time limit. Record your results and improve next time.

For holding exercises (e.g. plank, squat sit, planche progressions etc.) this means: hold the exercise for a minimum of 100 seconds and then keep holding as long as you can. Record your time - goal is to achieve a higher number every time you train the skill.

Hope ya find this useful.
Any questions, drop a line.
Old 8 June 2017, 14:58
Confirmed User

How do you like the club/mace? Useful only for shoulder rehab or does it have other uses? I have been dealing with a rotator cuff issue for years now, and it flares up when i stress it with too much benching. I've been to physical therapy for months at a time, which helps, but it always returns when I get back into powerlifting. Wondering if the mace and such would help me to any real degree.
Old 8 June 2017, 15:08
Supporterator

This is my path as well. Need to add the BJJ/Muay thai.
Old 8 June 2017, 17:03
Confirmed User

Hey! I like this...thanks for sharing.
Old 9 June 2017, 00:26
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiserweight View Post
How do you like the club/mace? Useful only for shoulder rehab or does it have other uses? I have been dealing with a rotator cuff issue for years now, and it flares up when i stress it with too much benching. I've been to physical therapy for months at a time, which helps, but it always returns when I get back into powerlifting. Wondering if the mace and such would help me to any real degree.
Bro, Turkish Get Up's with kettlebells or a dumbell are your saving grace. Work up to 3 sets, for 3 minutes each, x3 per week, and that will do wonders for your rotator cuffs. I learned that from experience. You get that static weight above your head, it is the rotator that holds it in place through the entire body movement.

The mace is wild. At first, it stresses your wrists and grip. Then forearms. It systematically strengthens the chain of muscles starting at your hand, and then working up to the shoulders then chest. They are not that expensive, and you do not need a super heavy mace. Most guys can start at 15 pounds. But you, being a PL guy, you could probably go anywhere up to 25 pounds. Doesn't sound like much; but when it's working those muscles and tendons that do the stabilization, and rarely get indirect work, it'll trash ya in all the best ways. I got mine from Onnit; their stuff is quality.

Plus, the mace is a lot of fun to workout with. It's like a toy for big boys. Swirl it around, slam it into a heavy bag, or a tire like a child in the midst of a tantrum; before you know it, you've had a workout and blown out a lot of stress.

Functionally, when I added the mace, I could tell a difference in my grip endurance when doing BJJ. And a marked increase in pinch grip strength. When combined with kettlebells via Turkish Get Up's, you'll fix your rotators.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, you could use the mace during Turkish Get Up's. Just hold it at the base, and that weight at the top, it could be interesting. I'll try that in the morning.

Look at the workouts that I put in Dropbox. They are absolutely aimed at upper body freak strength; and they blast your entire shoulder. To the point that you could do handstands and/or handstand pushups. can't do those without functional rotators.
Old 9 June 2017, 08:52
Confirmed User

Cool, I'll check it out. I used to work out almost exclusively with kettlebells, and my shoulder felt good, come to think of it. But I switched gyms and my new gym doesn't have a massive kettlebell selection like my old one did, and I guess I got too focused on trying to lift big numbers. I'll buy a 15 or 20 lb mace though and give it a shot.
Old 9 June 2017, 10:15
Confirmed User

Good stuff, thank you for sharing it.

I got a 12 month gym membership a couple of months ago, then right after get a job that has me overseas much more than I'm home. And since work usually has me in places without much in terms of equipment...I always appreciate having additional ways to make my life more painful (but in a good way!)

Our new posting rules