Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 7 January 2018, 18:58
Voodoo guru

Meditation

Meditation or flow states...
I suppose this part of the forum is as good as any.

37 years in the martial arts, and I've never gotten into "meditation". I know it has benefits, but have never taken the time to get any kind of skill at it.

About as close as I've ever gotten has been after some brutal training, I couldn't do any except get inside my head because I was so exhausted.

What triggers this question is that I saw an advertisement, that was actually interesting. Right up until the part of the page that said that the "techniques" were taught to Navy SEAL's. Obviously not to slag the super frogs, but that type of advertising tends to be snake oil.

However, it did cause me to wonder if any units had gotten into any type of meditative, or mental optimization training. Anyone here ever heard of such a thing?
Old 7 January 2018, 20:00
Swimming Upstream

We have a Yoga class in the unit twice a week where I am at. That and some breathing/mindfullness stuff I have seen taught by psychologists at my previous unit.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 January 2018, 09:41
BTDT

It doesn't interest me, but if you want to F around with it, there is an app called 'Headspace' that always get's mentioned. IIRC even the free version does some stuff. I would think it depends on how 'stressful' your daily is: Not=prolly no help, Lots=may help (it's been around for like a billion years, but so has Feng Shui )
Old 8 January 2018, 10:01
Authorized Personnel

Meditation or Flow States.

You're probably well aware of being in a meditative state.
For instance, driving a car and suddenly realizing that you have no earthly idea how you got to where you presently find yourself; missing travel distances.

Or, washing dishes or some other oft done chore that in the end didn't feel like a chore at all; escaping to another place in your mind because the chore at hand doesn't require you to make brand new decisions.

Then, there is the guided imagery thing. I practice this.

I take a *thing* I need to work on and slowly go thru it in my minds eye executing it over and over until it's perfection.

I can't remember who it was, but in one of the many books I've read a DEVGRU guy was remarking about this very thing when he was in Sniper School. Seems *they'd* introduced to him the benefits of visualization.
Old 8 January 2018, 12:15
I aim to misbehave

I'm pretty big into meditation, personally. I think there are a lot of ways it could have made me a better soldier, back when I was in. Here and now, I think it makes me better at most everything I do. Not because it gives magic chi powers or anything, but because it is pure mental discipline.

While true:
Continue
Old 8 January 2018, 13:14
Whatever Sucks the Most

My first realization about meditation was when I realized that I was meditating when I ran for long distances.

My next illumination was when I realized that breathing is the key. Inhalation on a four count, relaxed holding for a four count, then exhalation for a four count. Repeat.

A four count can be a three count, whatever. You take a step when you no longer consciously count. You just inhale, relax, exhale. Repeat.

You can meditate anywhere. In the back of a taxi. At your office desk. Right after waking. Before sleep.

You can do it while seated. You can do it while walking, so-called walking meditation. Or while running for long distances. You can do it recumbent.

Extremely effective meditation is while holding yoga asanas. Yoga and meditation are complimentary disciplines.

You do not need any tools. Just a mind.

Your goal is emptiness.

In other words, if you have a goal, you are doing it wrong.

No goals. No agendas. No inner observation of what you are doing.

Just inner stillness.

When you lose track of time, when you achieve a meditative state and sustain it and snap out of it and many minutes have passed, you are on the path.

My best meditation is during acupuncture.

Another external encumbrance that helped me was gazing at a crystal prism in the sun.

Now I merely visualize the crystal. I no longer need an actual crystal.

Then I cease visualizing the crystal.

Voila.

You do not need to read any books. You do not need any apps. You do not need to discuss it with anyone.

You can do it anywhere, anytime.

When you begin, it can be difficult to do it for a full five minutes. So keep doing it.

After you attain five minutes, just relax. You will learn to do it even longer.

A 30 minute acupuncture session in deep meditation is my favorite activity.
Old 8 January 2018, 16:04
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
It doesn't interest me, but if you want to F around with it, there is an app called 'Headspace' that always get's mentioned. IIRC even the free version does some stuff. I would think it depends on how 'stressful' your daily is: Not=prolly no help, Lots=may help (it's been around for like a billion years, but so has Feng Shui )

Headspace is a pretty good app
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 January 2018, 17:27
Sub Rosa

I meditate. I echo Magician thoughts, emptiness is your goal. Focus on breathing and the pause between breaths. I like 20-minutes as it gives me sufficient time to get fully relaxed and my mind empty. I was a skeptic, no longer as I find it incredibly freeing.
Old 8 January 2018, 19:25
Confirmed User

I wouldn't exactly call it meditating but when shooting (if time allowed for it) I would go through a calming stage of breathing and focussing on nothing but my breaths for a few seconds and sometimes up to a minute or so. This helped a lot in competition shooting and was part of my routine shot process. It all started with relaxing and focusing on just my breath to get all of the other crap out of my head for each shot, followed by the rest of my routine steps. If anything disrupted that sequence I would start over with breaths again.

Some people call it getting into the zone so I guess it is a form of meditation even if only for a few seconds at a time.

Focusing on nothing but my breathing In and out is what can clear and calm random thoughts or at least put them into the right place for each shot.
Old 8 January 2018, 19:41
Ungood

Meditation is important to me since the TBI. It helps incredibly with focus and reaction.
Old 9 January 2018, 09:29
Anesthetized User

I meditate 3-5times per day. I have been doing so for about 2 years.

No matter where I am I can close my eyes, my mind is void of thought and I can get to a point where I twilight on the edge of sleep, but wake up looking like I just slept. Glassy eyes and a bit rested. I can hit this point in about 30 seconds and the effects last about and hour.

Not sure if it does any good, but I feel like I just got some good sleep.

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Support SOCNET.

Our new posting rules