SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 2 July 2018, 13:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
There's probably enough tubes of that shit to camo out the whole military for decades. Guess nobody has taught them how to soften it up with bug-fuck yet.

They relabel it as Grease, Automotive and Artillery, re-can, and redistribute to Maintenance Companies.
Old 2 July 2018, 13:04
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Well, shit. They are sending him home, to come back next year.
No idea what's if anything is really wrong, but the Army docs say he would need 10 days rest after his CK levels get back to normal before they would release him into another Regiment anyway.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 2 July 2018, 13:28
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
No idea what's if anything is really wrong, but the Army docs say he would need 10 days rest after his CK levels get back to normal before they would release him into another Regiment anyway.
Typically once you are a weather injury you’re out for any schools that take place in the season you were injured, as you’re more suspectiable to that injury again. As others have said, it’s not the end of the world. Good luck to him.
Old 2 July 2018, 14:16

Good luck to your son. He will be ahead of the game next year with this years experience under his belt. Look at it as another day in the life of a soldier and prep for the next day.

Summer of 75 ROTC Summer Camp Ft. Riley, KS. My Plt. lost its first guy Saturday afternoon while in-processing. The Go / No Go criteria for this years cadets was broken bones. If you had ever had one you were a No Go, Thank You Very Much.

My Plt. had a guy that had broken his ankle stepping in a Prairie Dog hole on the parade field during the opening ceremony at ROTC camp the prior summer. He was gone Saturday night with no chance of recycle.

In my company we had a prior service Vet cracked a couple of vertebra in his back in an 'Outside of Curriculum' challenge in week two. Disqualified for any future consideration.

Midway through summer camp my Plt. had two guys camp on a nest of Brown Recluse Spiders. Both were bitten on their arms which was good news in the end. These are but-ugly bites and their elbow joints looked bad. Fortunately they both has passing PT scores from the 1st week and could keep up with the rest of the activities and graduated.

Another prior service vet was informed by a PFC during the in processing physical that since he had suffered a broken a collar bone while wrestling in High School he too was unqualified for commissioning. His response was that he already had 3.5 years active duty, a tour in Vietnam and was on Flight Status the prior month and he would like to meet the VA Rep to sort out his compensation package. He graduated on time with the rest of his class.

Again best of luck,

Michael A.
Old 2 July 2018, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. View Post
Good luck to your son. He will be ahead of the game next year with this years experience under his belt. Look at it as another day in the life of a soldier and prep for the next day..
Thanks.
I think that's the way he is looking at it. Will eat into other things he had planned, but c'est la vie.

He said one cadet in the Holding Co with him, from an earlier Reg, broke her ankle during the FTX; but since she had completed all the graded events before the inujury, she just goes home early as a GO.

He says he started out with about 70 lbs in his ruck. I asked him how much training he had been doing with a 70 lb ruck, he said "I never had any problems doing 12 miles with 45 lbs during events at school; but didn't do any extra training with a ruck."

In reading a little to try to figure out what the hell CK levels are, my uneducated guess is that the ruck plus the heat did some muscle damage that maybe isn't causing pain, but his body is reacting to anyway, with these elevated CK levels. Docs don't care why, though. They aren't gonna sign off on the risk.

Live and learn.
- Bootsy Collins
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 2 July 2018, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Mine finishes up on Friday...
Congrats to him!
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 2 July 2018, 16:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Mine finishes up on Friday...
That's awesome!
Quote:
Everything happens for a reason. This gives him another year to strengthen mentally and physically, then he can beast it next summer.
Old 2 July 2018, 18:24
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. View Post
Summer of 75 ROTC Summer Camp Ft. Riley...
Big Green was beginning wholesale cutbacks in numbers about this time, and DA was looking for reasons to sacrifice officers. By ‘76 they were dropping officers who lacked 4-yr degrees or had a mediocre OER.

And yes, it began by choking ROTC and other sources of commissions. In 1970, O-2 was made in 12 months, O-3 in 24. In ‘71, O-2 came at 18 months, O-3 in 36. But in ‘72, making O-2 took 24 months, and O-3 took 4-5 years after commissioning. Combat arms time.

ROTC commissions in ‘70 were about 50/50 Reserve to RA. By ‘72, RA commissions were maybe 10-20%, and only to DMGs with scholarships and high scores from the summer Adv. Camp.

I have no idea what the situation is now. Society is different, but “the needs of the service” still come first.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bið æghwæm þæt hē his frēond wrece, þonne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgþēowes
Old 3 July 2018, 20:15
Confirmed User

check out https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php

SMA and ROTCs talks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
I have no idea what the situation is now. Society is different, but “the needs of the service” still come first.
Old 5 July 2018, 09:57

Turns out he doesn't even get paid since they decided to send him home. Apparently it is essentially an all-or-nothing deal for pay.
A couple weeks sitting in the holding company barracks with nowhere to go and nothing to do, while not getting paid, gives one lots of time to reconsider their life decisions.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 5 July 2018, 13:25

FRAGO ... now they have decided to recycle him into 7th Reg, which just arrived yesterday.
The last time I heard someone so happy was when I finally escaped pre-mob at Ft Dix and got to Afghanistan.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 5 July 2018, 13:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
FRAGO ... now they have decided to recycle him into 7th Reg, which just arrived yesterday.
The last time I heard someone so happy was when I finally escaped pre-mob at Ft Dix and got to Afghanistan.
So big Army is like the weather in Montana. Don't like it? Wait 5 minutes, it'll change.
Old 5 July 2018, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
So big Army is like the weather in Montana. Don't like it? Wait 5 minutes, it'll change.
Yep. He's getting the full Army experience.
They even jacked up his travel inbound to Ft Knox.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 7 July 2018, 16:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Picked mine up last night. He said there was quite a few heat casualties...also told me that hydrating the night before was good advice. Thanks Dad Guess he forgot about who taught him to zero and shoot--and a few other small things like: pace count, land navigation, knots, etc. Eventually he'll get around to that portion of 'good advice' too....He did good, proud of him. (He's dead center of the pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42269936795_449eb74e4b_b.jpg (66.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 7 July 2018, 19:45

Thumbs up

Quote:
Picked mine up last night. He said there was quite a few heat casualties...also told me that hydrating the night before was good advice. Thanks Dad Guess he forgot about who taught him to zero and shoot--and a few other small things like: pace count, land navigation, knots, etc. Eventually he'll get around to that portion of 'good advice' too....He did good, proud of him. (He's dead center of the pic)
Congrats to him (and you!).

Eventually they remember where they learned all that stuff.
- Bootsy Collins
- Teddy Roosevelt

Our new posting rules